explain RPO vs. spread/zone read

Advertisement
For some on the know.. When did RPO's become big? And who were some of the coaches who first ran them?

Did richt back at fsu or early days at Georgia?

I'm pretty sure they have been run , in some capacity, for some time now.

When I think of who made RPO's boom I think Chip Kelly and Marcus Mariota. They killed ish with the RPO.

Herman and Meyer def. ran the RPO all the way to a national championship. Malzahn has a few good RPO concepts as well.

If you want to say "when" they started to boom? I'd say around 2014.

I don't think Richt ran any RPO's at FSU or at Georgia in his early days. I think Georgia may have started using RPO's last year or the year before.

I never saw it at FSU. a lot of play-action draw but not RPO.

If only they'd called "Run/Pass Choice" instead of option at lot of this confusion would have been avoided.
Once people see the word "option" they associated with a QB running.

Advertisement
My take is there is an option to run a pass play or run play based on DEF Alignment...AFTER THE SNAP.. ex Def pre snap alignment is safties two high.. so you would run the ball because the offense has the numbers advantage in the box..but when the ball is snap one of the safeties roll down to the box...QB can now pull the hand off on throw the pass because one of the corners don't have help over the top...Spread is just that spread the field to force the defense spread themselves thin

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

For some on the know.. When did RPO's become big? And who were some of the coaches who first ran them?

Did richt back at fsu or early days at Georgia?
Got big because Def starting to get High Tech with disguises..with shows and drops

The biggest mis understanding of RPO is that you QB has to be a runner...he doesn't...but he has to be quick... mentally and physically

Advertisement
My take is there is an option to run a pass play or run play based on DEF Alignment...AFTER THE SNAP.. ex Def pre snap alignment is safties two high.. so you would run the ball because the offense has the numbers advantage in the box..but when the ball is snap one of the safeties roll down to the box...QB can now pull the hand off on throw the pass because one of the corners don't have help over the top...Spread is just that spread the field to force the defense spread themselves thin

It really has nothing to do with defensive numbers though. The QB's not pulling the ball if a Safety rolls down into the box or anything like that. And most RPO's are designed to beat 2-high.

The concept is very simple.

*THE QB IS READING ONE DEFENDER (the "conflict defender") POST SNAP.
*THAT DEFENDER IS IN A CONFLICT. HE HAS A ZONE RESPONSIBILITY AND A RUN GAP RESPONSIBILITY. (this is the only thing the QB is looking at)
*IF THAT DEFENDER PURSUES THE RUN, THE QB THROWS THE BALL TO THE VACATED ZONE.
*IF THAT DEFENDER STAYS IN HIS PASS ZONE, THE QB HANDS THE BALL OFF.

The concept is taking advantage of defenders who have duel responsibilities.

It really has nothing to do with defensive numbers though. The QB's not pulling the ball if a Safety rolls down into the box or anything like that. And most RPO's are designed to beat 2-high.

*THAT DEFENDER IS IN A CONFLICT. HE HAS A ZONE RESPONSIBILITY AND A RUN GAP RESPONSIBILITY. (this is the only thing the QB is looking at)

I like your explanation better than my own...makes more sense

But even your explanation supports the numbers in the box game and the advantage there of..

But even your explanation supports the numbers in the box game and the advantage there of..

You can run RPO's that are based on numbers but generally speaking...the RPO's that are all the rage today...are based on a single "conflict defender".

Advertisement

You can run RPO's that are based on numbers but generally speaking...the RPO's that are all the rage today...are based on a single "conflict defender".

Right. I mean I count the box and if I have a 6-man box we better be able to run, but we'll still post-snap read that flat defender on stalk/bubble. On OZ/Post I read the safety.

Right. I mean I count the box and if I have a 6-man box we better be able to run, but we'll still post-snap read that flat defender on stalk/bubble. On OZ/Post I read the safety.

Definitely. If you can't run the ball against a 6-man box then you might as well go home. LOL. You're in for an uphill battle. Limits everything you want to do offensively.

UKnow I think you might be confusing RPOs with offenses that have a run and pass play called the the QB checks to which one the numbers favor

Similar to a "check with me" offense tho some teams, especially at the nfl level let the QB make the call

For example I might call a run play with a pass play as a check list. QB breaks the huddle and checks how the defense aligns. If the numbers are favorable (usually 6) they run the run play of not the qb checks into the pass play.

Where the RPO differs is its a regular run play but instead of block the WR runs a route and the QB literally takes the hand off out of the RBs stomach and throws to the WR

Where I think miami struggled without having access to the all 22 is that even when the 'conflict' defenDer played pass our oline still failed to generate consistent run lanes and Kayaa started to pull it anyway hoping the WR won and when it didnt happen he's standing flat footed on a 1 WR route with no where to go

Advertisement
So, let me get this straight. I thought the RPO factored in student attendance as well as the inclination of Venus. You guys make it sound like a run-pass option.

****, this is as tricky as weight loss. You know, "move more, eat less". Complicated stuff.

UKnow I think you might be confusing RPOs with offenses that have a run and pass play called the the QB checks to which one the numbers favor

Similar to a "check with me" offense tho some teams, especially at the nfl level let the QB make the call

For example I might call a run play with a pass play as a check list. QB breaks the huddle and checks how the defense aligns. If the numbers are favorable (usually 6) they run the run play of not the qb checks into the pass play.

Where the RPO differs is its a regular run play but instead of block the WR runs a route and the QB literally takes the hand off out of the RBs stomach and throws to the WR

Where I think miami struggled without having access to the all 22 is that even when the 'conflict' defenDer played pass our oline still failed to generate consistent run lanes and Kayaa started to pull it anyway hoping the WR won and when it didnt happen he's standing flat footed on a 1 WR route with no where to go
I agree
So, let me get this straight. I thought the RPO factored in student attendance as well as the inclination of Venus. You guys make it sound like a run-pass option.

****, this is as tricky as weight loss. You know, "move more, eat less". Complicated stuff.

A year of it and people still think that when it didn't work it was because Kaaya couldn't run fast enough.

Advertisement
Back