explain RPO vs. spread/zone read

Yup^

You have zone/read/RPO's that are basically 3 different options in one play. QB can hand the ball to the RB on zone, pull the ball and run around the edge, or throw the bubble.

We (Southeast) run an RPO where our QB pulls it and starts running around the edge...and when the flat defender attacks him he throws the bubble to the slot WR. He's wide open every time because the defender who was covering him has to take the QB.

I saw Sarkisian at a clinic a couple years ago and he talked about a nasty RPO he runs versus 2-high where his QB is reading the Outside Linebacker that's lined up over (or just inside) the #2 receiver. The #2 WR simply runs a 6 yard hitch. If the Outside Linebacker takes the RB on zone, the QB pulls the ball and throws to the wide open hitch from #2 . If the Outside Linebacker stays on the hitch then the QB simply hands the ball off for a gain of at least 7.

What a joke, Dorito could stop that gimmicky crap.

Advertisement
Didn't they tighten up the rules to prevent lineman from getting downfield too far on RPO's?

They should cause it's really an unfair advantage. Linebackers are taught to read O-linemen, and the **** OL are going 3-5 yards upfield on RPO's.

Forgive me as I never played organized football, but when teams run a trick play such as the halfback pass does the OL end up pass blocking? If so, when DBs bite on the halfback pass is it b/c they were looking at the ball carrier and not paying attention to the OL?

For some on the know.. When did RPO's become big? And who were some of the coaches who first ran them?

Did richt back at fsu or early days at Georgia?

I'm pretty sure they have been run , in some capacity, for some time now.

When I think of who made RPO's boom I think Chip Kelly and Marcus Mariota. They killed ish with the RPO.

Herman and Meyer def. ran the RPO all the way to a national championship. Malzahn has a few good RPO concepts as well.

If you want to say "when" they started to boom? I'd say around 2014.

I don't think Richt ran any RPO's at FSU or at Georgia in his early days. I think Georgia may have started using RPO's last year or the year before.

Last edited:
For some on the know.. When did RPO's become big? And who were some of the coaches who first ran them?

When I think of who made RPO's boom I think Chip Kelly and Marcus Mariota. They killed ish with the RPO.

Herman and Meyer def. ran the RPO all the way to a national championship. Malzahn has a few good RPO concepts as well.

I don't think Richt ran any RPO's at FSU or at Georgia in his early days. I think Georgia may have started using RPO's last year or the year before.

When I coached D3 football we started running RPO's about 2014. I learned all my stuff from Noel Mazzone who was at Arizona State transitioning to UCLA. To be honest I think they started from some high school guys. I think football innovations start at high school from the bottom up. High school coaches are the most inventive people. Here's why. From week to week you see so much crazy fronts and blitzes, you have to be creative in how you attack those things.

[/B]

That's some gangsta schit

Yeah it's good stuff. I found myself sitting there trying to figure out how in the world I'd stop that. (only way is to play single-high coverage)

Where's the cornerback in this scenario?

Lined up over #1 where he belongs.

Or are you talking about a Nickle CB?

So by [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2]#2 [/URL] you're talking about the slot receiver?

Yes sir, the #2 slot WR.

Advertisement

When I coached D3 football we started running RPO's about 2014. I learned all my stuff from Noel Mazzone who was at Arizona State transitioning to UCLA. To be honest I think they started from some high school guys. I think football innovations start at high school from the bottom up. High school coaches are the most inventive people. Here's why. From week to week you see so much crazy fronts and blitzes, you have to be creative in how you attack those things.

Absolutely. I think most of the innovative stuff starts from the high school level and works it's way up. (at least on offense)

There's some unbelievable high school coaches spread throughout the country.

Didn't they tighten up the rules to prevent lineman from getting downfield too far on RPO's?

They should cause it's really an unfair advantage. Linebackers are taught to read O-linemen, and the **** OL are going 3-5 yards upfield on RPO's.

Forgive me as I never played organized football, but when teams run a trick play such as the halfback pass does the OL end up pass blocking? If so, when DBs bite on the halfback pass is it b/c they were looking at the ball carrier and not paying attention to the OL?

I've never seen an OL run block on a trick pass play. Usually they pass set to avoid penalty.

Yup^

You have zone/read/RPO's that are basically 3 different options in one play. QB can hand the ball to the RB on zone, pull the ball and run around the edge, or throw the bubble.

We (Southeast) run an RPO where our QB pulls it and starts running around the edge...and when the flat defender attacks him he throws the bubble to the slot WR. He's wide open every time because the defender who was covering him has to take the QB.

I saw Sarkisian at a clinic a couple years ago and he talked about a nasty RPO he runs versus 2-high where his QB is reading the Outside Linebacker that's lined up over (or just inside) the #2 receiver. The #2 WR simply runs a 6 yard hitch. If the Outside Linebacker takes the RB on zone, the QB pulls the ball and throws to the wide open hitch from #2 . If the Outside Linebacker stays on the hitch then the QB simply hands the ball off for a gain of at least 7.

That's pretty cool that you coach at Southeast I played for Braden River.

Fortunately our week 2 game against Braden River got cancelled due to weather cause I was not looking forward to playing them while we were breaking in a new defense. LOL

They're a really good team. Well coached for sure. Everything they do is crisp. Best team in the area IMO.

Underrated post, here. Good stuff. I feel like Mazzone was one of the pioneers in the RPO game.

The point you made about high school coaches being the most creative was really good. I never looked at it from that perspective but it makes a lot of sense.

Advertisement
Yup^

This is pretty much the Stick/draw concept. Spread teams turn it into zone to fit their scheme. Tough to stop.

Yup^

Sark was hammered

Doubt they were the first but those guys at West Virginia were one of the first to have success with it, when slaton was the rb, I remember it being a big deal when they started throwing to the slot wr as an added option. Then many variations came in. Rich rod probably was even doing it when he was at clemson. Who knows, but he is one of pioneers

The primary difference is that RPO has a passing element and spread/option physically damages your QB the higher level you face.

Advertisement
Yup^

Sark was hammered

Oh I'm sure! Most of the coaches were. LOL

Hundreds of coaches from all over...in Orlando...away from their wives and families...:busmoon:

Yup^

Fortunately our week 2 game against Braden River got cancelled due to weather cause I was not looking forward to playing them while we were breaking in a new defense. LOL

They're a really good team. Well coached for sure. Everything they do is crisp. Best team in the area IMO.

They are a very well coached team. Sucks we are in the same division as St. Thomas. I played for them when the school was brand new 2005-2009. We weren't that good then, a couple years after I left is when they started to pick it up.

Yup^

Sark was hammered

Hundreds of coaches from all over...in Orlando...away from their wives and families...:busmoon:

Nike coaches clinic?

Advertisement
Yup^

Sark was hammered

Nike coaches clinic?

Yes sir, in Orlando.

Yup^

They are a very well coached team. Sucks we are in the same division as St. Thomas. I played for them when the school was brand new 2005-2009. We weren't that good then, a couple years after I left is when they started to pick it up.

Yeah man, they're impressive on tape and you can tell they work on the details.
I wouldn't be surprised if they give STA everything they can handle.

Yup^

Yeah man, they're impressive on tape and you can tell they work on the details.
I wouldn't be surprised if they give STA everything they can handle.

We held on until the 4th quarter in the playoffs last year. Hopefully we will finish some business this year

Advertisement
Back