explain RPO vs. spread/zone read

ageezy

Cane til I Die
been alot of discussion of the two

i think of rpo's as being under center with two plays called and based on defensive alignment we decide between run or pass at the line

spread zone read is done from the gun and involves atleast three options. the correct option is based on the linebacker and defensive end, however it's a read, it's not based on alignment

coaches and football heads chime in

Advertisement
RPO's are like the new triple option to me. Zone read with a bubble screen is a Run Pass Option. RPOs can be based on the leverage of a defender, if the defender attacks the run or if they play the pass. The great part about Run Pass Options is that you can read DL, LB, or DB depending on the play. These options are predicated on whether or not you have the QB to make the reads. At the high school level I feel that the longer a qb is in the system, the more efficient the rpo's. First year qbs have a hard time making the reads you want.

Didn't they tighten up the rules to prevent lineman from getting downfield too far on RPO's?

Advertisement
Yup^

You have zone/read/RPO's that are basically 3 different options in one play. QB can hand the ball to the RB on zone, pull the ball and run around the edge, or throw the bubble.

We (Southeast) run an RPO where our QB pulls it and starts running around the edge...and when the flat defender attacks him he throws the bubble to the slot WR. He's wide open every time because the defender who was covering him has to take the QB.

I saw Sarkisian at a clinic a couple years ago and he talked about a nasty RPO he runs versus 2-high where his QB is reading the Outside Linebacker that's lined up over (or just inside) the #2 receiver. The #2 WR simply runs a 6 yard hitch. If the Outside Linebacker takes the RB on zone, the QB pulls the ball and throws to the wide open hitch from #2 . If the Outside Linebacker stays on the hitch then the QB simply hands the ball off for a gain of at least 7.

Last edited:
Didn't they tighten up the rules to prevent lineman from getting downfield too far on RPO's?

They should cause it's really an unfair advantage. Linebackers are taught to read O-linemen, and the **** OL are going 3-5 yards upfield on RPO's.

Not sure what all the discussion is about, because it's really quite simple.

An RPO (RUN with a pass as an option) is a basic run play that has a single pass option on top of it.

Every other player with the exception of that one receiver is running a run play.

EVERY time you see a pass thrown where the lineman are run blocking the QB took the pass option.

Advertisement
For some on the know.. When did RPO's become big? And who were some of the coaches who first ran them?

Did richt back at fsu or early days at Georgia?

They should cause it's really an unfair advantage. Linebackers are taught to read O-linemen, and the **** OL are going 3-5 yards upfield on RPO's.

But don't the rules permit blocking downfield if the pass is behind the line of scrimmage, e.g. the swing passes we were throwing against App State? I always understood it was illegal to have men downfield if the pass is beyond the line of scrimmage. What's your take?

But don't the rules permit blocking downfield if the pass is behind the line of scrimmage, e.g. the swing passes we were throwing against App State? I always understood it was illegal to have men downfield if the pass is beyond the line of scrimmage. What's your take?

There are also second (Linebackers) and third (safeties) level RPOs, where the qb hits intermediate and deep passes.

3rd level RPO:

Dak Prescott, the Dallas Cowboys and Third Level RPO/Packaged Play Reads | Smart Football

There are also second (Linebackers) and third (safeties) level RPOs, where the qb hits intermediate and deep passes.

3rd level RPO:

Dak Prescott, the Dallas Cowboys and Third Level RPO/Packaged Play Reads | Smart Football

Exactly what I was just about to say.

Advertisement
Yup^

You have zone/read/RPO's that are basically 3 different options in one play. QB can hand the ball to the RB on zone, pull the ball and run around the edge, or throw the bubble.

We (Southeast) run an RPO where our QB pulls it and starts running around the edge...and when the flat defender attacks him he throws the bubble to the slot WR. He's wide open every time because the defender who was covering him has to take the QB.

I saw Sarkisian at a clinic a couple years ago and he talked about a nasty RPO he runs versus 2-high where his QB is reading the Outside Linebacker that's lined up over (or just inside) the #2 receiver. The #2 WR simply runs a 6 yard hitch. If the Outside Linebacker takes the RB on zone, the QB pulls the ball and throws to the wide open hitch from #2 . If the Outside Linebacker stays on the hitch then the QB simply hands the ball off for a gain of at least 7.

That's some gangsta schit

Yup^

Yeah it's good stuff. I found myself sitting there trying to figure out how in the world I'd stop that. (only way is to play single-high coverage)

3rd level RPO:

Exactly what I was just about to say.

Not even fair. The play side guard is 5-6 yards downfield

Advertisement
Yup^

Yeah it's good stuff. I found myself sitting there trying to figure out how in the world I'd stop that. (only way is to play single-high coverage)

Where's the cornerback in this scenario?

Yup^

Lined up over #1 where he belongs.

Or are you talking about a Nickle CB?

Yup^

I saw Sarkisian at a clinic a couple years ago and he talked about a nasty RPO he runs versus 2-high where his QB is reading the Outside Linebacker that's lined up over (or just inside) the [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2]#2 [/URL] receiver. The [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2]#2 [/URL] WR simply runs a 6 yard hitch. If the Outside Linebacker takes the RB on zone, the QB pulls the ball and throws to the wide open hitch from [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2]#2 [/URL] . If the Outside Linebacker stays on the hitch then the QB simply hands the ball off for a gain of at least 7.

Lined up over #1 where he belongs.

Or are you talking about a Nickle CB?

So by #2 you're talking about the slot receiver?

Yup^

That's pretty cool that you coach at Southeast I played for Braden River.

Advertisement
Back