Expecting Big Things From Haskins and Irvin

WTF are you talking about? You must have not watched much football back then. Keith Jackson was essentially a big WR and Marino would flex him pretty often as he did Jim Jensen. Eric Green had his moments flexed.

LMAO. Eric Green was a dancing bear and near unstoppable BECAUSE of his size. The tightend was used plenty in the passing game back them and good receiving te's were flexed some times. You know like Keith Jackson, Kellen Winslow, etc.

The TE position has gone to more receiving TE ONLY types because so many teams run spread and dropped the premium on blocking. But Richt likes to keep his TE in line as much as flexed.

Your thinking is backwards. Put him at TE and now you have a RARE mismatch and more variation. Essentially an extra OL in line that can beat a backer or post up in middle if the field Antonio Gates style. Then flex out when needed.

He should only be considered for DT because of what [MENTION=12969]teddywestside[/MENTION] the DT depth, and only if we whiff at recruiting the DT spot.

Keith Jackson was 6-2, 260 and ran a 4.65 yard 40. Dude was a freak of nature and one of my all-time favorite Dolphins even though he only played there for 3 years. Eric Green was a disaster for the Dolphins.

Advertisement
when I was taking classes with the Class of 2012 recruits, they were EXTREMELY high on Nate Dortch and Robert Lockhart. Nate was apparently the best corner among the freshmen and Rob was the best WR in practice.

Apparently inference, reason/deduction, common sense are not being utilized in this thread by all the posters. Ill do my best Key and Peele Obama translation . . .

Lu- Haskins is an athletic freak.
Lu- Haskins is a big boy now.
Lu- Haskins has really impressed folks with his play and abilities.
Lu- If, and it is a big if, if Haskins continues to grow, or outgrow the tight end spot, I wonder if DT is an option?
Lu- Tight ends knocking on 300lbs aren't very common in the NFL.
Lu- If Haskins reaches 285-290 lbs would be be better to beef up a few hairs more and play OT or DT? Better for Haskins, Canes, NFL ambitions?

I never saw Lu say move Haskin, but wtf do I know?

Haskins played QB in HS -- his offensive experience bodes well for him as a TE. In fact, there have been many former QBs who have switched to TE and have been successful.

A move to DT seems highly unlikely as it takes just a different mentality to play defense. I can't imagine this staff will want him to get bigger than 265 lbs.

Advertisement
Apparently inference, reason/deduction, common sense are not being utilized in this thread by all the posters. Ill do my best Key and Peele Obama translation . . .

Lu- If, and it is a big if, if Haskins continues to grow, or outgrow the tight end spot, I wonder if DT is an option?
Lu- If Haskins reaches 285-290 lbs would be be better to beef up a few hairs more and play OT or DT? Better for Haskins, Canes, NFL ambitions?

I give up. Even the post after your breakdown by avicenna75 misses the "if he outgrows..." portion. And, it's not only DT. It could be OT, SSDE, who knows. Or, he could just stick to about 265-270 and try to make his $$$ at TE.

PLP.

Haskins surprised me when I caught glimpses of him in fall practices. Have mentioned that a few times. First of all, he's a giant kid. Secondly, he projects to hold the point blocking better than any TE we've had here in a while, as he was already doing a good job as a True Frosh. Lastly, he flashed athletic ability in the passing game, which was the most surprising part.

I'll maintain that, if he can stay on campus, and somehow naturally outgrows the TE position by getting up to about 285, he'd likely make a fantastic DT.

Not CB??

I give up. Even the post after your breakdown by avicenna75 misses the "if he outgrows..." portion. And, it's not only DT. It could be OT, SSDE, who knows. Or, he could just stick to about 265-270 and try to make his $$$ at TE.

PLP.

Well you did say you think he would make a fantastic DT if he were to get to 285+. I respect your opinion, but I just can't think of any precedents to support it. Defensive line just takes a different mentality, plus playing low at 6'5 is challenging. WR to CB, RB to S, QB to TE, and TE to OT are much more common.

Haskins surprised me when I caught glimpses of him in fall practices. Have mentioned that a few times. First of all, he's a giant kid. Secondly, he projects to hold the point blocking better than any TE we've had here in a while, as he was already doing a good job as a True Frosh. Lastly, he flashed athletic ability in the passing game, which was the most surprising part.

I'll maintain that, if he can stay on campus, and somehow naturally outgrows the TE position by getting up to about 285, he'd likely make a fantastic DT.

Not CB??
Ha. Turned into a bad joke not based on very much. I've asked for Deejay Dallas to play CB. That apparently started this idea of me "wanting to make everyone a DB." Let's see where he ends up in spring. I also see some slighly above average WRs who could make great DBs. Like I said on the recruiting board, if a player can make more $$$ at another position, especially defense (WRs and RBs to DBs), I'm always all for it.

Advertisement

PLP.

Well you did say you think he would make a fantastic DT if he were to get to 285+. I respect your opinion, but I just can't think of any precedents to support it. Defensive line just takes a different mentality, plus playing low at 6'5 is challenging. WR to CB, RB to S, QB to TE, and TE to OT are much more common.
*If he ever got that big*, sure, I'd be curious to see him there, if not OT. I'm aware he played QB, but as I've noted, the most interesting thing about his attributes, besides great feet, was how physical and strong he looked against much older guys.

I would love to see Haskins at DT. He's huge and he's an athlete. Coach Kool coached Sheldon Richardson, who played some TE before finding his home at DT.

Haskins is a good prospect at TE, too. Very powerful at the point of attack and he can catch. His only weakness would be a lack of quickness and pure speed.

Irvin is more of a receiver. Quick and QB-friendly with a good feel for the passing game. Both guys can help us next year if they stay out of trouble.

PLP.

Lu can speak for himself, but I really think you are missing his point. Maybe you don't want to talk theoreticals. Maybe you just think Lu is out of his mind and wrong. I really do think the point is that Haskins may outgrow the position, what next? Obviously he may not outgrow the position.

Advertisement

Now u wanna convert TEs to DTs? Lol killing me

Yeah. Not like anyone's done that conversion before.

He is a better blocker than Gordon?

PLP.

*If he ever got that big*, sure, I'd be curious to see him there, if not OT. I'm aware he played QB, but as I've noted, the most interesting thing about his attributes, besides great feet, was how physical and strong he looked against much older guys.

Didn't Warren Sapp start out as a TE, or am I remembering wrong? Seems like that one worked out ok

Advertisement
I would love to see Haskins at DT. He's huge and he's an athlete. Coach Kool coached Sheldon Richardson, who played some TE before finding his home at DT.

Haskins is a good prospect at TE, too. Very powerful at the point of attack and he can catch. His only weakness would be a lack of quickness and pure speed.

Irvin is more of a receiver. Quick and QB-friendly with a good feel for the passing game. Both guys can help us next year if they stay out of trouble.

Didn't mean downvote

Didn't mean to downvote
tenor.gif

The way I see it is simple.
If he can block and can catch the occasional Goalline TD on play action that is all I think he needs to do. We need some physicality on our line, someone who can intimidate opposing DLs in short yardage.
Herndon and Irvin can be the pass catch threats down field. This kid can be the the muscle.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back