Expecting Big Things From Haskins and Irvin

Haskins surprised me when I caught glimpses of him in fall practices. Have mentioned that a few times. First of all, he's a giant kid. Secondly, he projects to hold the point blocking better than any TE we've had here in a while, as he was already doing a good job as a True Frosh. Lastly, he flashed athletic ability in the passing game, which was the most surprising part.

I'll maintain that, if he can stay on campus, and somehow naturally outgrows the TE position by getting up to about 285, he'd likely make a fantastic DT.
You're absolutely right about Hask beeing a Giant kid, I've met him before & he absoluetly towers over me & I'm 6'2...

He's listed at 6'4 but he has to at least be 6'6-6'7... Idk about him getting up to 285lbs, but if he sticks around 250-260lbs he could be like Jimmy Graham or Martellus Bennett.
He doesn't move like Jimmy Graham. But, moves really well for being a legit enormous kid. Bennett is a solid analogy for what we'd hope out of his ceiling.

Color me surprised if they keep Haskins around 250 without basically keeping him artificially slim, which I'm very much against. Martellus Bennett is about 275 as a near 30 year old. Haskins has great feet and moves fantastically well for his size. Not sure why it offends people to contemplate the what ifs. Especially while I'm giving the kid credit for already flashing TE skills.

Advertisement
WTF are you talking about? You must have not watched much football back then. Keith Jackson was essentially a big WR and Marino would flex him pretty often as he did Jim Jensen. Eric Green had his moments flexed.

LMAO. Eric Green was a dancing bear and near unstoppable BECAUSE of his size. The tightend was used plenty in the passing game back them and good receiving te's were flexed some times. You know like Keith Jackson, Kellen Winslow, etc.

The TE position has gone to more receiving TE ONLY types because so many teams run spread and dropped the premium on blocking. But Richt likes to keep his TE in line as much as flexed.

Your thinking is backwards. Put him at TE and now you have a RARE mismatch and more variation. Essentially an extra OL in line that can beat a backer or post up in middle if the field Antonio Gates style. Then flex out when needed.

He should only be considered for DT because of what [MENTION=12969]teddywestside[/MENTION] the DT depth, and only if we whiff at recruiting the DT spot.

Haskins surprised me when I caught glimpses of him in fall practices. Have mentioned that a few times. First of all, he's a giant kid. Secondly, he projects to hold the point blocking better than any TE we've had here in a while, as he was already doing a good job as a True Frosh. Lastly, he flashed athletic ability in the passing game, which was the most surprising part.

I'll maintain that, if he can stay on campus, and somehow naturally outgrows the TE position by getting up to about 285, he'd likely make a fantastic DT.

You keep saying this. STOP.

If he has hands and can play TE then its better to great a rare mismatch with a 285 pound TE that can block and catch equally.

I wonder how many people remember this freak?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzyE5_bCKew
Give me a break. The TE position has changed so much since Eric Green that it's not even worth an extended discussion. Go ahead and name me 285 pound TEs making a ton of money in the NFL right now.

Nonetheless, if Haskins can maintain his athleticism as he further grows, by all means.I'm well aware of CIS reading comprehension problems, but I'm not ASKING for the move. I'm contemplating how to best make a player $$$ if he outgrows a position.

How about OT if he can block?

You're absolutely right about Hask beeing a Giant kid, I've met him before & he absoluetly towers over me & I'm 6'2...

He's listed at 6'4 but he has to at least be 6'6-6'7... Idk about him getting up to 285lbs, but if he sticks around 250-260lbs he could be like Jimmy Graham or Martellus Bennett.
He doesn't move like Jimmy Graham. But, moves really well for being a legit enormous kid. Bennett is a solid analogy for what we'd hope out of his ceiling.

Color me surprised if they keep Haskins around 250 without basically keeping him artificially slim, which I'm very much against. Martellus Bennett is about 275 as a near 30 year old. Haskins has great feet and moves fantastically well for his size. Not sure why it offends people to contemplate the what ifs. Especially while I'm giving the kid credit for already flashing TE skills.
I'm not against a potential move to DL, but I think most of us see him as a big time playmaker at TE & because we haven't seen him hit the field people just wanna see him at TE first lol...

Advertisement
Now this is stuff I can trust. I like hearing about any players beasting to the degree that another Beast (Shaq) is impressed. Players know Players and Shaq's opinion has validity. Irving I still believe should be used like Jordan Reed of the Skins, except I've seen no evidence our OC can diversify the offense to the degree of utilizing personnel and pass routes to maximize the skill sets of individual players.

Now u wanna convert TEs to DTs? Lol killing me

You are the king of ****** posting. :ttdG2M10mxVZxan.jpg
Haskins is not a DT...TE is a hard pill for this kid to swallow....he has been a QB all his life... he could never make the mind shift to play DE

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

WTF are you talking about? You must have not watched much football back then. Keith Jackson was essentially a big WR and Marino would flex him pretty often as he did Jim Jensen. Eric Green had his moments flexed.

LMAO. Eric Green was a dancing bear and near unstoppable BECAUSE of his size. The tightend was used plenty in the passing game back them and good receiving te's were flexed some times. You know like Keith Jackson, Kellen Winslow, etc.

The TE position has gone to more receiving TE ONLY types because so many teams run spread and dropped the premium on blocking. But Richt likes to keep his TE in line as much as flexed.

Your thinking is backwards. Put him at TE and now you have a RARE mismatch and more variation. Essentially an extra OL in line that can beat a backer or post up in middle if the field Antonio Gates style. Then flex out when needed.

He should only be considered for DT because of what @teddywestside the DT depth, and only if we whiff at recruiting the DT spot.
I'll avoid addressing your emotional "WTF" and "LMAO" and keep this on the substance.

You're going to tell me that TEs "back then" flex'd out as much as they do now? For real? TEs played inline a ridiculous amount more than they do now, where they're mostly flex'd out. You just named me Keith Jackson, who still played inline a ton, and Jim Jenson, who doubled as an H-Back, as your counterexamples? You're BSing with the wrong guy. Winslow senior played inline as well. The ability to play inline was still critical despite minority examples of guys getting moved around, which is the overwhelming standard now.

Let's stop for a second and take note that [MENTION=1003]Mico Jones[/MENTION] doesn't acknowledge the massive changes in formations and how TE usage has changed over the past 20 years. Oh wait, you'll now counter the formation point by saying the Warren Moon's Oilers (a small sample) ran the run & shoot with 4WRs?

He should only be considered for DT because of what @teddywestside the DT depth, and only if we whiff at recruiting the DT spot.

Yeah, we're definitely not going to agree on this or probably anything, as you're exhibiting what I consider narrow thinking. You don't move a successful TE, if that's what Haskins becomes, because of depth issues at another position. Horrendous suggestion. As I already stated, DT depth probably won't even be an issue if we pull Logan. You move him to DT or OT or whatever *if he outgrows his position and makes a better, more motivated prospect elsewhere.*

Here's a challenge for you: right now in the NFL, go ahead and list me examples of TEs who are making significant money playing at 285 or more.

Haskins is not a DT...TE is a hard pill for this kid to swallow....he has been a QB all his life... he could never make the mind shift to play DE

Sure...but m3n made a general post about TE's in general converting to DTs as if this is inconceivable. Which clearly is not true at motherfukking Miami. lol.

Advertisement

I've heard this a couple times and it's probably the point I've taken to make the most sense. That's all well and good, but again, we're contemplating what happens if Jovani continues to grow beyond what people thought he'd be and ends up as a 285 pound TE.

Whether it's OT, DT, SSDE or upfield DT, if he'd have a better chance at making $$$ by moving positions, everyone would be well-advised to consider it. Now, that's all the "what if" game. He may max out around 265 and keep the athletic ability he's shown, while making a good inline TE for us. Whatever best benefits the player is what I think does the best short-term and long-term good for the program.

I've heard this a couple times and it's probably the point I've taken to make the most sense. That's all well and good, but again, we're contemplating what happens if Jovani continues to grow beyond what people thought he'd be and ends up as a 285 pound TE.

Whether it's OT, DT, SSDE or upfield DT, if he'd have a better chance at making $$$ by moving positions, everyone would be well-advised to consider it. Now, that's all the "what if" game. He may max out around 265 and keep the athletic ability he's shown, while making a good inline TE for us. Whatever best benefits the player is what I think does the best short-term and long-term good for the program.
I agree $$$ talks...

I'm not against a potential move to DL, but I think most of us see him as a big time playmaker at TE & because we haven't seen him hit the field people just wanna see him at TE first lol...
And, I'm with it. He already flashed to me more than I expected. So, hope it works out there. I'm just not gonna avoid the obvious: he's really a big kid. Whether he played QB his whole life or not, let's see what his body does. Like I told [MENTION=10044]UknowWhat[/MENTION] in another post, if he maxes out around 265-270 and is a tremendous inline TE for us, all the better. Don't want to waste the kid's talents.

If he has hands and can play TE then its better to great a rare mismatch with a 285 pound TE that can block and catch equally.

Give me a break. The TE position has changed so much since Eric Green that it's not even worth an extended discussion. Go ahead and name me 285 pound TEs making a ton of money in the NFL right now.

Nonetheless, if Haskins can maintain his athleticism as he further grows, by all means.I'm well aware of CIS reading comprehension problems, but I'm not ASKING for the move. I'm contemplating how to best make a player $$$ if he outgrows a position.

How about OT if he can block?
Well, the first thing I noticed about him was his physicality. Guy was stalemating our DEs as a brand new True Frosh. Then I asked around about his weight. Then I saw him in person and acknowledged his frame. Again, the optimal is he maintains his athletic ability and we use it at the TE position. My point is about "what if" he outgrows it? I'm always for considering guys at positions where they make the most $$$. It keeps them motivated to the max.

Advertisement
Bottom line is coaches should do their best job of getting players into their $ positions. Regardless of our need at "position X," if we build a program where players know they're going to be optimized for their careers, that's a really good look for prospects.

By the way, if we were to bring in Logan, the need for 2018 DTs is even less, so this or any move would be only if it benefits Haskins.

It's funny, because these convos have been going on for near 2 decades now. There were tons of people arguing about why Eric Winston shouldn't move to Tackle. The point is don't force kids into positions. Let them grow their bodies and find the best match.

Winston moved because this is TE U. Haskins was a QB in HS and has a lot of skill. He's far more talented than Winston coming in.

I think these two will rise in Njuko's absence Irvin has great hands and good size... Shaq has told me that Haskins has had the defensive coachs ****ed at the D for the plays he would make while on the scout Offense. On several occasions ... to the point he had been told not to catch the ball... Shaq didnt have much opposition with Irving because he would be with the Offense.. but he says Haskins is a beast.. I take Shaq's word... He told me back in the spring Isidora was the best OL...after the season i believe him

****, my bad. We cool again.

Advertisement
I think these two will rise in Njuko's absence Irvin has great hands and good size... Shaq has told me that Haskins has had the defensive coachs ****ed at the D for the plays he would make while on the scout Offense. On several occasions ... to the point he had been told not to catch the ball... Shaq didnt have much opposition with Irving because he would be with the Offense.. but he says Haskins is a beast.. I take Shaq's word... He told me back in the spring Isidora was the best OL...after the season i believe him

SORRY!!!!! Fat *** thumbs didn't mean to down vote.

I think Eric Green was the reason Don Shula was forced to retire. **** that 1995 Dolphins team.

Bottom line is coaches should do their best job of getting players into their $ positions. Regardless of our need at "position X," if we build a program where players know they're going to be optimized for their careers, that's a really good look for prospects.

By the way, if we were to bring in Logan, the need for 2018 DTs is even less, so this or any move would be only if it benefits Haskins.

It's funny, because these convos have been going on for near 2 decades now. There were tons of people arguing about why Eric Winston shouldn't move to Tackle. The point is don't force kids into positions. Let them grow their bodies and find the best match.

Winston moved because this is TE U. Haskins was a QB in HS and has a lot of skill. He's far more talented than Winston coming in.
And, you're also missing my point. Winston moved because it would be a better position to make more money in the future. Not 'because it was TE U.' And, the point I've consistently made, without judging Haskins as a TE (actually, giving him some early props), is that *IF* he'd grow himself to the same predicament (where he had a better shot at making $$$ at another position), it should be considered. This is actually a simple point that should apply to all players. It was mentioned here solely because Haskins is such an impressively big kid at his young age.

Not sure how that point is going to be missed or misrepresented again, but have at it.

Advertisement
Back