Expectations: Z McCloud

Advertisement
Advertisement
What are the realistic expectations for Z McCloud leading the D in 2020?
I like Mccloud to be more then solid on the inside. I thought he had a higher upside athletically the shaq and pink coming out..if he cleans up the little things he can have a all ACC caliber year imo..TF he flashed almost everygame

If he hasn’t “cleaned up” his deficiencies by now, then they ain’t getting cleaned up lol. He has been here for 4 going on 5 years. Glad he made his RS decision and appreciate him greatly for what he has done for this program. We desperately needed him to stay for depth obviously but I’d be disappointed if Brooks and Huff are not our 2 main hogs at LB along with Frierson/Smith at Striker. I think Gil starts there but Smith eventually takes over. JMO

Last edited:
Honestly, I can't recall. However, I do remember thinking that had the highest upside of the 3 LB's that we brought in that year.
You’re not alone there, though no one would probably admit it anymore haha

We’ve seen enough guys over the years that had disappointing careers finish strong after being in the program a while. He certainly is capable. But it’s always good to have a veteran presence in the mix especially with so many young unproven guys

Advertisement
My take is McCloud appeared faster than either Quarterman or Pickney, but not as hard of a hitter. He also did not appear to show "instinctual" play that would allow him to get to the runner or shake the blocker that critical .01 sec sooner that separates good from great.

My expectations of him is based on what he’s done since he got here... which is not much. I expect one or two of the other LBers to make more of an impact.

I would love to be surprised, but right now my expectation is that he'll be a serviceable LB. Nothing more. He looks great getting off the bus, but then disappears on the field because his read/react isn't where it needs to be and he isn't an instinctive LB. Hope it all clicks this year, but I am not holding my breath.

Advertisement
I would like to see him have a starting role and be an impact player after taking the redshirt and doing good by the program. However if the light hasn't come on in four plus years of being here it probably won't all of the sudden come on now. I think he'll be a solid rotational player to provide experienced depth. He'll be good but nothing spectacular.

I thought he played well in the 4 games last year. Especially the last two. He looked quick and decisive. I think his experience and leadership will be an asset to the defense in 2020.

Advertisement
He’s more of a middle linebacker than sam line backer anyway with the way he plays. He should excel at that spot if the season is played

Only LB with significant experience and a rare 5th year senior. He looked good against Pitt when Pinckney was out.

I don't know, I keep being optimistic. I think Huff, Brooks, and one of McCloud/Joyner step up. Also think Gilbert will take another step at striker.

Again that is me being hopeful and forgetting who actually is coaching the lbs.

Advertisement
Back