Expectations: Z McCloud

It was unrealistic to expect 3 true freshman LB to be ready to play. Always felt McCloud was asked to do too much too early. He was the more talented one who needed time to adjust to college game. Always felt like he was gonna be another one who comes thru door and asked to play too early and mess up his development. Type of player you want to redshirt, play behind someone redshirt fr year and then as redshirt soph you can begin to put some true expectations on the kid.

His freshman year wasnt that bad, actually for all 3 it wasnt, maybe because expectations were low across the board and everyone was learning new defense. It was when those were raised the next year and they had McCloud playing the slot that he started to get embarrassed, for some reason that season Manny wanted to stay base 4-3 defense all game regardless of personnel deployed by offenses. If teams went 3 or 4 wide we still stayed in base defense. That put McCloud at severe disadvantage and soured him personally with alot of fans. That was a tough season, then I think the wrist injury also hurt development.

I think its great he humbled himself and took a very rare senior year redshirt and can benefit all parties. Maybe his ceiling is lower than we all expected when he initially came in but he can still be a great piece to our defense. I dont know if you can right the wrong of missing out on his true track of freshman redshirt and bought along slowly but I will be rooting for him regardless

Advertisement
If Huff is only 205 after being here for 9+ months then we have even bigger problems lol. I assume he is bigger then that but point taken. McCloud is going to play, a lot ....I just hope the pups eventually take over.
Here's what Barry Jackson said in his article regarding linebacker situation:

"The thinking is that senior Zach McCloud is going to be solid, reliable and prepared for whatever offenses throw at the Canes. One source said he expects Sam Brooks - who is out for the spring with an injury - will become “the guy” who plays alongside McCloud the most.

▪ Amid several injuries at the position, Avery Huff is getting a lot of linebacker reps this spring, and “you can see how athletic he is,” one practice observer said. “But he’s raw, too skinny.”

First off, I highly doubt Huff is just 205. Didn't he leave STA at like 200lbs???

McCloud is basically all we have right now so he doesn't have to look over his shoulder anytime soon or worry about his spot being taken. He doesn't have the pressure of living up to the ridiculous "weak link of the Bermuda Triangle 2.0" pressure that he had his first 3 years anymore either. For the first time in his college career, he can just go out there and play football. We just might be pleasantly surprised at what we see out of him.

Most athletic guy we’ve had in the middle in a long time.

All of our Linebackers suffered from taking terrible angles and filling the wrong game.

McCloud at least last we saw him Has the speed to make up for those mistakes.

If he can rack up tackles and put on tape coverage ability. He’ll set himself up for a payday.

Advertisement
I’m not entirely sure what to expect, but the one thing I do know is McCloud, Brooks, and Huff is an insanely athletic LB group. Those 3 are all WELL above-average athletically. Let’s just see how many mental mistakes they make. But **** it’s gonna be fun to watch them pursue people.

Man, I think McCloud coming back shouldn't be overlooked...I think he will have a better season than Shaq or Pick ever had

Man, I think McCloud coming back shouldn't be overlooked...I think he will have a better season than Shaq or Pick ever had

I hope you’re right but what makes you think that? He hasn’t proved he can do it yet. I love that he decided to sacrifice and come back, but I just don’t see how he makes the kind of jump people are saying he will. Athleticism only gets you so far. Eventually you have to put it all together and in 4 years he hasn’t.

Advertisement
Isn't he like 6-3, 240lbs faster and a bigger hitter than Shaq and Pickney. Biggest thing is him getting used to the heavier work load in the middle

we usually have a fifth year senior that plays above the level they’ve previously shown, wouldn’t be surprised if it’s mccloud

I think He should do well, he played out of position imo his first 4 years at Miami and always should have been a middle linebacker

Advertisement
On his last few videos of him working out he looks a lot leaner than both Shaq and Pinckney ever were. Hope he can ball this year and get a spot on an nfl roster.

McCloud's athleticism will be an upgrade from Shaq. This will be a theme across the board in 2020.

McCloud is more athletic than Shaq
Bolden is more athletic than Knowles
Silvera is more athletic than Bethel
Brooks is more athletic than Pinckney
Frierson is more athletic than Finley
Blades is more athletic than Bandy
Phillips is more athletic than Patchan
Roche is more athletic than Garvin
Harvey is more athletic than Hill
Blissett is more athletic than Nnoruka
Holley is more athletic than Martin

Advertisement
Honestly, McCloud lost his spot. He fell off precipitously since his Tr Frosh yr. Not sure what to expect, but hopefully he’s redeemed
Could the year off have brought some type of clarity? A new sense of urgency...

I hope you’re right but what makes you think that? He hasn’t proved he can do it yet. I love that he decided to sacrifice and come back, but I just don’t see how he makes the kind of jump people are saying he will. Athleticism only gets you so far. Eventually you have to put it all together and in 4 years he hasn’t.

A couple of ppl touched on it but the athleticism and finally playing his natural position at MLB are what I’m excited about

100 tackles
1/2 INTs
2/3 FF
1/2 Sacks

should be a 1st/2nd team All ACC LB and be a middle round draft pick (he will test great in combine settings... see that MichiganLb who started only his senior year tested well after a productive year and went 3rd round)

Advertisement
Back