Excellent outsider's thoughts from Bill Connelly

This is scary from Richt

"But right now, I enjoy doing it, and it keeps my blood pumpin’, and I think it’s good for coaches to see my competitive spirit, I think it’s good for our players to see it, probably good for our fan base to see it, too. There’s no way better to show that than to be right in the heart of the planning and calling of the plays."
Well, right now, I don't enjoy him doing it, and it keeps my blood boiling.

Advertisement
From the comments...

"Rosier and Perry are both throwers, not passers, and while Rosier can be moderately effective using his legs, the offense isn’t designed to utilize that to any great degree. Even when Miami was doing well last season, you could see that anybody who forced Rosier to throw had a good chance to stop this offense. They remind me of a lot of teams in the late-‘80s and the ’90s that played a hard-throwing-but-inaccurate passing, okay-at-running QB, but did not commit to using him as a runner, despite obvious limitations in throwing the ball. It was sort of a hedge between running the option and being more conventional, and it usually didn’t really work in either direction. Miami is the same now, they don’t have the passers to run the offense Richt probably wants to run, and he doesn’t want to be QB-run reliant, so they are in limbo. Their problem is probably 50/50 scheme versus talent, but Richt needs a better QB to win consistently, no matter who calls the plays."

Here's the thing. If he strips OC off of Brown and Dugans, they can focus more on their positional duties. It's a win all around by bringing in an OC. If they want to be greedy and get paid OC $ for absolutely failing at it, they need to go somewhere else. Right now they are stealing money, because they **** sure aren't doing the job needed to be worth a ****.

Advertisement
Mork will hire an automaton in his image, calling the same predictable uninspired offense. Meanwhile recruiting will totally tank.

That's my worry. As I said above the best case is that we keep him and he gets his act together, but there's an obvious possibility that he'll just try to paper over the problem.

From the comments...

"Rosier and Perry are both throwers, not passers, and while Rosier can be moderately effective using his legs, the offense isn’t designed to utilize that to any great degree. Even when Miami was doing well last season, you could see that anybody who forced Rosier to throw had a good chance to stop this offense. They remind me of a lot of teams in the late-‘80s and the ’90s that played a hard-throwing-but-inaccurate passing, okay-at-running QB, but did not commit to using him as a runner, despite obvious limitations in throwing the ball. It was sort of a hedge between running the option and being more conventional, and it usually didn’t really work in either direction. Miami is the same now, they don’t have the passers to run the offense Richt probably wants to run, and he doesn’t want to be QB-run reliant, so they are in limbo. Their problem is probably 50/50 scheme versus talent, but Richt needs a better QB to win consistently, no matter who calls the plays."
He has that QB on the roster, but I am not convinced any QB alive can make this O worth watching.

He has that QB on the roster, but I am not convinced any QB alive can make this O worth watching.

Not entirely. It's an absolute abomination right now, but it was a top 25 offense in 2016 with a QB who literally couldn't move.

He needs to hire an OC, and yesterday, but his lack of creativity and stubbornness combined with the ineptitude of the QBs is causing the dumpster fire to rage, rather than smolder.

Advertisement
"These are awkward issues, since the people in charge of both the play-calling and the quarterbacks coaching share the head coach’s last name."

VigilantLegalHind-size_restricted.gif

For those of you who don't know, Bill Connelly is one of the sharpest writers around. He's the dude who invented S&P+, which has been universally adopted and is essentially part of every intelligent college football discussion. This guy is really smart. There's nothing earth-shattering here, but it's good to see an outsider's perspective.

I think 2 things are essentially commonplace at this point, even from the national writers:

1. Mark Richt is not getting fired this year, no matter what, and he's not resigning. So he will 100.0% be the coach here in 2019. Enough with the new coach polls and threads. If we're in the same spot next year, it might be worth talking about. But it's literally not a remote possibility, so enough. Let's talk about what can realistically happen to fix this situation.

2. Because of #1, the only viable option here is to hire an OC. I really don't see any way in the world that he doesn't make a change. The question to me is, how drastic will the change be? There is simply no way he can head into 2019 with the exact same offensive staff. There will be some shake-up. There simply has to be. If he doesn't want to get fired potentially after next year, he's gotta change at least something. So what will that change be? I think the smallest change possible will be to relinquish play-calling duties to Thomas Brown. That'd be a huge mistake, but at least we can debate it. The best change, IMO, will be to hire an OC from the outside and hand over they keys to the offense, as Connelly describes below. As usual, he hits the nail on the head with the Joe Moorhead example. IMO, Miami needs to go that route. The offense is broken, stale, monotonous, and predictable. It's time for outside influence.

Bill Connelly on the Canes
Good article! Dude hit all the points.

Advertisement
For those of you who don't know, Bill Connelly is one of the sharpest writers around. He's the dude who invented S&P+, which has been universally adopted and is essentially part of every intelligent college football discussion. This guy is really smart. There's nothing earth-shattering here, but it's good to see an outsider's perspective.

I think 2 things are essentially commonplace at this point, even from the national writers:

1. Mark Richt is not getting fired this year, no matter what, and he's not resigning. So he will 100.0% be the coach here in 2019. Enough with the new coach polls and threads. If we're in the same spot next year, it might be worth talking about. But it's literally not a remote possibility, so enough. Let's talk about what can realistically happen to fix this situation.

2. Because of #1, the only viable option here is to hire an OC. I really don't see any way in the world that he doesn't make a change. The question to me is, how drastic will the change be? There is simply no way he can head into 2019 with the exact same offensive staff. There will be some shake-up. There simply has to be. If he doesn't want to get fired potentially after next year, he's gotta change at least something. So what will that change be? I think the smallest change possible will be to relinquish play-calling duties to Thomas Brown. That'd be a huge mistake, but at least we can debate it. The best change, IMO, will be to hire an OC from the outside and hand over they keys to the offense, as Connelly describes below. As usual, he hits the nail on the head with the Joe Moorhead example. IMO, Miami needs to go that route. The offense is broken, stale, monotonous, and predictable. It's time for outside influence.

Bill Connelly on the Canes
Good read, thanks for posting.

Manny running the defense + an independent, innovative OC (without Searles and Lil Richt) = success

Richt can be the “man” and take all the credit for adapting and all that. Rcht can recruit and focus on the talent vs the scheme.

Manny running the defense + an independent, innovative OC (without Searles and Lil Richt) = success

Richt can be the “man” and take all the credit for adapting and all that. Rcht can recruit and focus on the talent vs the scheme.

This is really our only and best hope.

He's not going anywhere, at least not yet. So hire a creative OC and let's see what we can do.

Advertisement
This is scary from Richt

"But right now, I enjoy doing it, and it keeps my blood pumpin’, and I think it’s good for coaches to see my competitive spirit, I think it’s good for our players to see it, probably good for our fan base to see it, too. There’s no way better to show that than to be right in the heart of the planning and calling of the plays."
This is not just disturbing, but really childish on Richt's part. He's basically saying that unless he is the one calling the plays on gameday, he doesn't care what else happens. This is like being on the playground in elementary school, you're the one bringing the football, and you want to be the QB on your team but there's someone better...so he's the QB...and you take your ******* ball and go home because if you can't get your way, no one gets to play.

You can still be fired up on the sideline as the CEO. You don't have to feel neutered...coach up your staff/players, guide them, be a real leader...embrace that role. Your blood can still be pumping, especially if we're putting up points and winning ballgames.

If Richt still feels this way, it's ******* childish and he needs to step down immediately.

...and this guy has the unmitigated gall to talk about which QB is more "mature" when he's throwing this immature bullsh1t around. FOH.

Why is it so easy for us regular folks to see what is so obvious but the head coach at the effing University of Miami who is making 50x what most of us make in a year can't see this? Just frustrates the life out of me and shows very poor leadership qualities.

Why is it so easy for us regular folks to see what is so obvious but the head coach at the effing University of Miami who is making 50x what most of us make in a year can't see this? Just frustrates the life out of me and shows very poor leadership qualities.

Who's to say he can't see it? We all know last year was a little bit of fool's gold, but the team won 10 games, won the Coastal, went to a NY6 bowl. All first time accomplishments in over a decade. Was he going to fire his kid and himself as the play-caller after a year like that? No chance. But now, it's a different story. So if he doesn't make any changes after this season, then your post is valid. But you can't say he can't see that changes need to be made before he's given the chance to make said changes.

Who's to say he can't see it? We all know last year was a little bit of fool's gold, but the team won 10 games, won the Coastal, went to a NY6 bowl. All first time accomplishments in over a decade. Was he going to fire his kid and himself as the play-caller after a year like that? No chance. But now, it's a different story. So if he doesn't make any changes after this season, then your post is valid. But you can't say he can't see that changes need to be made before he's given the chance to make said changes.

Fair point.

Advertisement
Back