Excellent outsider's thoughts from Bill Connelly

For those of you who don't know, Bill Connelly is one of the sharpest writers around. He's the dude who invented S&P+, which has been universally adopted and is essentially part of every intelligent college football discussion. This guy is really smart. There's nothing earth-shattering here, but it's good to see an outsider's perspective.

I think 2 things are essentially commonplace at this point, even from the national writers:

1. Mark Richt is not getting fired this year, no matter what, and he's not resigning. So he will 100.0% be the coach here in 2019. Enough with the new coach polls and threads. If we're in the same spot next year, it might be worth talking about. But it's literally not a remote possibility, so enough. Let's talk about what can realistically happen to fix this situation.

2. Because of #1, the only viable option here is to hire an OC. I really don't see any way in the world that he doesn't make a change. The question to me is, how drastic will the change be? There is simply no way he can head into 2019 with the exact same offensive staff. There will be some shake-up. There simply has to be. If he doesn't want to get fired potentially after next year, he's gotta change at least something. So what will that change be? I think the smallest change possible will be to relinquish play-calling duties to Thomas Brown. That'd be a huge mistake, but at least we can debate it. The best change, IMO, will be to hire an OC from the outside and hand over they keys to the offense, as Connelly describes below. As usual, he hits the nail on the head with the Joe Moorhead example. IMO, Miami needs to go that route. The offense is broken, stale, monotonous, and predictable. It's time for outside influence.

Bill Connelly on the Canes

Advertisement
This is scary from Richt

"But right now, I enjoy doing it, and it keeps my blood pumpin’, and I think it’s good for coaches to see my competitive spirit, I think it’s good for our players to see it, probably good for our fan base to see it, too. There’s no way better to show that than to be right in the heart of the planning and calling of the plays."

This is scary from Richt

"But right now, I enjoy doing it, and it keeps my blood pumpin’, and I think it’s good for coaches to see my competitive spirit, I think it’s good for our players to see it, probably good for our fan base to see it, too. There’s no way better to show that than to be right in the heart of the planning and calling of the plays."

Yep. That was pre-season, though. But we all knew this. It was one of his stipulations for coming here. He felt disengaged at UGA...more of a CEO type and not close enough to the day to day operation. So he needed a fresh start in both location and job function.

He got it. It didn't work. It's time to move on from that. I think he realizes it.

Yep. That was pre-season, though. But we all knew this. It was one of his stipulations for coming here. He felt disengaged at UGA...more of a CEO type and not close enough to the day to day operation. So he needed a fresh start in both location and job function.

He got it. It didn't work. It's time to move on from that. I think he realizes it.
There's no way he's enjoying play calling anymore. The big question now is if he's smart enough to completely hand off the keys to someone outside of his coaching tree.

Nice to see some in the media able to put the very simple 2 and 2 together and realize how much of a disaster it is having Richt and Jr. on the offensive side of things. Had no idea Jr. was 25 when he took the job. Flake is such an absolute spineless coward for approving that.

Advertisement
It's impossible for anyone with half a brain to think Richt Jr was the best possible hire as a QB coach Sr could've made.

Now he needs to fix it!

Bruce Feldman had takes on this on The Audible this week. In summary:

Richt isn't going anywhere and you better be strapped in for FIVE years more of him...or at least until Richt hangs it up himself. Feldman reiterated this a few times.

Why? Last year's season + all of the good he's done raising money for the program. The latter being most important.

Bruce just said, this is the reality and that the thought was to have more of 2017 than 2016 and 2018, but his offense is horrendous and we can only hope to hire an offensive coordinator.

Advertisement
There's no way he's enjoying play calling anymore. The big question now is if he's smart enough to completely hand off the keys to someone outside of his coaching tree.

Nice to see some in the media able to put the very simple 2 and 2 together and realize how much of a disaster it is having Richt and Jr. on the offensive side of things. Had no idea Jr. was 25 when he took the job. Flake is such an absolute spineless coward for approving that.

I don't really want to defend him, but he didn't have much of a choice. Some of us have short memories....this program was essentially deceased in the weeks after Clemson soddomized Golden on national TV and he was fired. You can argue whether or not Richt was the right man for the job, but what cannot be argued is he was, at a very minimum, a name brand and stabilizing force for what was a program in complete free-fall.

There were many of us who knew the instant it was announced that Fredo Richt was a horrendous and useless hire, and we've been proven correct. But spineless coward isn't exactly fair. If it was a sticking point and Richt would've walked had James drawn a line in the sand, he probably would've had to cave. Miami just had to have someone to at least somewhat right the ship at that point.

You can't stop me from hoping and praying that Richt resigns. I don't care if I am setting myself up for a let down, I was told to hold onto my hopes and dreams lol.

If Richt does hire a OC it'll be someone boring and stale just like him and his offense now

For those of you who don't know, Bill Connelly is one of the sharpest writers around. He's the dude who invented S&P+, which has been universally adopted and is essentially part of every intelligent college football discussion. This guy is really smart. There's nothing earth-shattering here, but it's good to see an outsider's perspective.

I think 2 things are essentially commonplace at this point, even from the national writers:

1. Mark Richt is not getting fired this year, no matter what, and he's not resigning. So he will 100.0% be the coach here in 2019. Enough with the new coach polls and threads. If we're in the same spot next year, it might be worth talking about. But it's literally not a remote possibility, so enough. Let's talk about what can realistically happen to fix this situation.

2. Because of #1, the only viable option here is to hire an OC. I really don't see any way in the world that he doesn't make a change. The question to me is, how drastic will the change be? There is simply no way he can head into 2019 with the exact same offensive staff. There will be some shake-up. There simply has to be. If he doesn't want to get fired potentially after next year, he's gotta change at least something. So what will that change be? I think the smallest change possible will be to relinquish play-calling duties to Thomas Brown. That'd be a huge mistake, but at least we can debate it. The best change, IMO, will be to hire an OC from the outside and hand over they keys to the offense, as Connelly describes below. As usual, he hits the nail on the head with the Joe Moorhead example. IMO, Miami needs to go that route. The offense is broken, stale, monotonous, and predictable. It's time for outside influence.

Bill Connelly on the Canes

What makes you think that this time the results are somehow going to be different from his last years at UGA? ....

... or are you all just gluttons for punishment ..

He got one thing right. We will be right here next year with the same results....

..... rinse and repeat.... Folden times are here again..

we never learn.

Advertisement

I hope He realizes but not sure yet

What makes you think that this time the results are somehow going to be different from his last years at UGA? ....

... or are you all just gluttons for punishment ..

He got one thing right. We will be right here next year with the same results....

..... rinse and repeat.... Folden times are here again..

we never learn.

All depends on who he hires to run the offense. A bright, young, creative offensive mind wins the last 3 games easily. Priority #1 is keep Manny. Priority #1A is hire someone innovative to run your offense.

I hope He realizes but not sure yet

IMO he has because he is CLEARLY listening to the noise. We've been screaming all year for some pre-snap motion, some jetsweeps to JT, some misdirection. What does he do last week? At least some of all those things. Not nearly enough, but some. You think he read a book during the week? Had an epiphany? Of course not. He's listening.

Advertisement
This won't be popular, but Richt staying and making significant changes is the best case here. We can't afford to buy him out, and if he would stop trying to call plays and focus on managing a staff and schmoozing boosters, he'd be just fine. Manny stays and he hires a good OC and we're off to the races.

If, on the other hand, he just let's Brown call plays, or God help us, keeps doing it himself, we're fckd. If that's his solution, if he insists that it's just fixing the execution, then we need to take the hit on the buyout and roll the dice on another coach.

A word of caution. Everybody acted like anybody would be better than al, and here we are. You guys think that anyone will be better than Richt, but there are very few guys who won't fck this up. We've seen it for years, but porsters still want to pretend like it's an easy job and you have to be a moron to fail at it. I think we've seen that it's very easy to fail and there are many, many ways to do it.

So maybe consider fixing what we've got.

His high energy infects the whole team...

Yes, keep arranging furniture on the deck of the Titanic...

You know where this will all end up eventually... on the bottom.

I actually didn't know his son would the QB coach when he was hired. How can anyone think that was okay? That is Trump-level nepotism. Even if he was qualified (and we know he isn't), the optics alone would have any rational person avoid the situation completely.

Well, Trumps nepotism is working. Richt's isn't.

Advertisement
Back