Ex-Buckeyes assistant on why Mullen was named UF coach: ‘Scott Frost didn’t want the job.’

CarolCityHigh

Freshman
"I don’t think he has the swagger to be a great head coach or to be a great recruiting head coach, but he’s a really good football coach.”

Former Ohio State assistant coach Zach Smith

Smith discussed the elite-level coaches and programs.

Here’s what was said about the Gators and Mullen:

Co-host: “I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on Dan Mullen at Florida. He has a chance to get into that level. But why hasn’t he or why hasn’t Florida gotten back to that level?”

Smith: “Yeah, we talked about that at length, and the biggest thing is Dan Mullen is thrust into this conversation only because he is the coach at Florida. He would not be in this conversation based off his successes on the field — based on his resume, but he gets thrust into this group because he got the job at Florida. Why did he get the job at Florida? Because Florida wasn’t an attractive job. It wasn’t. The stadium’s not selling out anymore, they really have fallen off. The recruiting has been down to some extent, especially from the Urban Meyer era. So, why did he get the job? He got the job because Scott Frost didn’t want the job. Think about that. This was a job that was top five in the country in 2005 when Urban turned down Notre Dame to go to Florida. … He didn’t have the resume to get the Florida job that Urban Meyer got in 2005. Dan Mullen had the resume to get the Florida job in 2018. ... I don’t think he has the swagger to be a great head coach or to be a great recruiting head coach, but he’s a really good football coach.”

"Smith and Mullen served on Meyer’s staff at UF together from 2005 to 2009."

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Who is seriously giving this guy a platform from which to speak his opinion on anything? He's a supreme douche and nothing he says matters.

That said - fvck UF and fvck anything or anyone associated with UF, UF sucks big fat donkey d!ck.

<3

Smith is a reprehensible lout, but he’s right. All the victims of the moment are eating ropes over Mullet because he had a decent first year at Ufayg. Rickety won 10 here too and now he’s burping up *** juice trying to hook on with ESPN 7.

Brady Hoke was a hero at Michigan after his first year. Dim Moron JR was being celebrated at UCLA after year one.

I mean... fvck UF but I’m not taking anything seriously coming from that lunatic’s mouth.

There are plenty of people who have done much worse, but are still experts in their field. General Patton wasn't exactly the nicest guy in the world, but I would take his advice when it pertains to military operations. Some of the best people in their field of choice are complete scumbags that literally torture their wives, but I would still take their advice when it pertains to their field.

There are some serial wife abusers that I would love to have give me some stock tips. I wouldn't ask them for tips on how to handle my love life though.

Advertisement
"I don’t think he has the swagger to be a great head coach or to be a great recruiting head coach, but he’s a really good football coach.”

Former Ohio State assistant coach Zach Smith

Smith discussed the elite-level coaches and programs.

Here’s what was said about the Gators and Mullen:

Co-host: “I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on Dan Mullen at Florida. He has a chance to get into that level. But why hasn’t he or why hasn’t Florida gotten back to that level?”

Smith: “Yeah, we talked about that at length, and the biggest thing is Dan Mullen is thrust into this conversation only because he is the coach at Florida. He would not be in this conversation based off his successes on the field — based on his resume, but he gets thrust into this group because he got the job at Florida. Why did he get the job at Florida? Because Florida wasn’t an attractive job. It wasn’t. The stadium’s not selling out anymore, they really have fallen off. The recruiting has been down to some extent, especially from the Urban Meyer era. So, why did he get the job? He got the job because Scott Frost didn’t want the job. Think about that. This was a job that was top five in the country in 2005 when Urban turned down Notre Dame to go to Florida. … He didn’t have the resume to get the Florida job that Urban Meyer got in 2005. Dan Mullen had the resume to get the Florida job in 2018. ... I don’t think he has the swagger to be a great head coach or to be a great recruiting head coach, but he’s a really good football coach.”

"Smith and Mullen served on Meyer’s staff at UF together from 2005 to 2009."

Show me where he told a lie.

Dude forgot to point out that Miami turned Mullett down. Twice.

There had to be a woman involved somewhere back in that mess - that's kind of an unwritten rule, crossed a line didn't he? Corch M got bus tire marks across his back, all four of 'em.

Zack Smith is telling the truth about other coaches as long as people will listen. He’s not getting hired as a coach anywhere on any level. The window is short until he becomes completely irrelevant. There’s a reason his podcasts are becoming popular right now. He has nothing to lose.
What he’s saying about UF and Mullen sounds 100% legit. The guy is a good football coach who knows the game of football. However, he lacks leadership and the ability to relate to kids. He lacks the top qualities of a CEO. That’s what we’ve seen this far in his tenure. It’s what all the turds know is the truth in the back of their minds. Every thread with them about recruiting or personnel leads to someone posting BUT BUT BUT he’s a good developer and teaches X’s & O’s well.
Mullen interviewed twice at UM at didn’t get the job. Some people were saying UM was a bad job at both of those times. He was at BEST UF’s 3rd choice for HC that went public. That means he was probably even further down the list. He wasn’t in the the top 3 for UM either time he interviewed. Put that in perspective. He must be the worst **** interview ever.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back