Evidence Njoku

Advertisement
Your post is just a hodgepodge of generalizations. Having a player come back, a player who had specific issues with a coach, is not what makes us "soft". Plenty of UM players have considered transferring in the past, but came back to the team. Unfortunately, in today's technology, players can communicate every childish impulse on social media, not to mention the fact that the portal publicizes the issue as well.

We need to retain players. We need to develop players. There is nothing to indicate that Evidence Njoku is incapable of being a solid player for us, outside of the fact that he has considered transferring.

If your standard is "anyone who considers leaving should just leave", then we are going to have 40 scholarship guys on the roster next year.
I'd imagine before the portal, a lot of players considered leaving..from a lot of teams. I never said if you consider leaving...I said if you leave/quit...see you. not being with the team...placing your name in the portal...enrolling in another university...that to me is gone.

I always have jokes. But I'm serious. I respect your opinion...but do you think Saban or Dabo would take players back that left?

As someone who had a hs teammate on the UM teams of late 1970s and early 1980s, I can tell you Howard Schnellenberger took back players who had left team at some point. One of them in particular, Jay Brophy, quit team in 1980 to work construction for a year before returning and having a great 1983 season and a few years in NFL with the Fins.
Several other players who started in that magical 1993 season had mulled transferring or quitting at one point in their college career. Irony here was my buddy telling me this at the time only for him to eventually quit while his teammates stayed with it.
As TOC noted, we need to do better in retaining players, including the ones who may not amount to stars.

I always have jokes. But I'm serious. I respect your opinion...but do you think Saban or Dabo would take players back that left?

You may want to research before making proclamations like this one. Saban has had two players bolt in the last six months and he's publicly stated he would take them back.

Another poster commented Miami has lost over 30 players since the end of last season. That would be transfers, players declaring for the draft, graduates, players just straight up leaving, etc...

The disease was real.

The crazy thing is with the current scholarship rules and transfer rules the future might just be 2-4 year players who don’t start constantly being re-recruited and leaving to get playing time somewhere. This will hurt all programs.
Rats off a sinking ship.

Advertisement
As someone who had a hs teammate on the UM teams of late 1970s and early 1980s, I can tell you Howard Schnellenberger took back players who had left team at some point. One of them in particular, Jay Brophy, quit team in 1980 to work construction for a year before returning and having a great 1983 season and a few years in NFL with the Fins.
Several other players who started in that magical 1993 season had mulled transferring or quitting at one point in their college career. Irony here was my buddy telling me this at the time only for him to eventually quit while his teammates stayed with it.
As TOC noted, we need to do better in retaining players, including the ones who may not amount to stars.

Good to know. Always happy to be proven wrong. But leaving for a job is different than for another team. Thanks for the knowledge.

I'd imagine before the portal, a lot of players considered leaving..from a lot of teams. I never said if you consider leaving...I said if you leave/quit...see you. not being with the team...placing your name in the portal...enrolling in another university...that to me is gone.

Alabama is letting Scooby Carter come back, and I don't think Saban is considered "soft".

I'm not trying to argue, I'm just warning against making a blanket/no-exceptions type of a rule or judgement.

Guys like Jeff Thomas and Tate Martell have issues beyond "considering a transfer". Maybe Evidence does as well, but I haven't heard any of those issues. Thus far, he has been quiet and uncontroversial. If there is a chance to bring him back, I would like for Manny to make the effort.

If the issues with Hightower and Njoku are with Stubblefield, then let's find a new WR coach. If they had issues with Enos, bring the players back.

You may want to research before making proclamations like this one. Saban has had two players bolt in the last six months and he's publicly stated he would take them back.
I don't follow things Saban says...but thanks for the knowledge...like I said...always happy to be proven wrong.

Alabama is letting Scooby Carter come back, and I don't think Saban is considered "soft".

I'm not trying to argue, I'm just warning against making a blanket/no-exceptions type of a rule or judgement.

Guys like Jeff Thomas and Tate Martell have issues beyond "considering a transfer". Maybe Evidence does as well, but I haven't heard any of those issues. Thus far, he has been quiet and uncontroversial. If there is a chance to bring him back, I would like for Manny to make the effort.

If the issues with Hightower and Njoku are with Stubblefield, then let's find a new WR coach. If they had issues with Enos, bring the players back.
Agree with all of this. I think a new coach who went 6-7 in his first year...and fired his OC needs to start somewhere...we haven't won many games with these guys...we don't have the luxury like Bama losing 2 games and considering that a bad season.

Advertisement
I've been a Canes fan since the early 80's going to Orange Bowl games with my dad, may they both rest in peace. I want to get back to winning...I want to get back to the state championship determining the national championship. I don't care who the coach is, as long as we win.

Agree with all of this. I think a new coach who went 6-7 in his first year...and fired his OC needs to start somewhere...we haven't won many games with these guys...we don't have the luxury like Bama losing 2 games and considering that a bad season.

It's all good. I have no idea whether it is even realistic to get some of these guys to come back, but I don't think we are "soft" because of this.

Bottom line, we have a ton of posters screaming about not using all 85 scholarships on recruited players, yet we keep struggling with retention. Maybe kids are more prone to being spoiled and impulsive these days, but we have to figure out what buttons to push to keep them motivated and on the roster, otherwise we will NEVER get to 85 and we will have an effective roster of 40 (and maybe 10 other Bar Milo types).

Njoku might as well go to Rutgers at this point. Did hightower catch on any where? Crazy these guys havent announced where they are going yet and school around the country for different programs is about to start

It's all good. I have no idea whether it is even realistic to get some of these guys to come back, but I don't think we are "soft" because of this.

Bottom line, we have a ton of posters screaming about not using all 85 scholarships on recruited players, yet we keep struggling with retention. Maybe kids are more prone to being spoiled and impulsive these days, but we have to figure out what buttons to push to keep them motivated and on the roster, otherwise we will NEVER get to 85 and we will have an effective roster of 40 (and maybe 10 other Bar Milo types).
Win and you will retain players. small gripes go away if you have a good team.

Advertisement
Win and you will retain players. small gripes go away if you have a good team.

Plenty of teams that do NOT win at the level of Alabama-Clemson manage to retain players.

Yes, retention will be EASIER if we win more. What if we had won our final 3 games, and finished 9-4?

Would we still have Njoku? Reed? Hightower? Lingard?

I think most people chose to "quit the team" because of coaches and scheme, not because of Ws and Ls.

Plenty of teams that do NOT win at the level of Alabama-Clemson manage to retain players.

Yes, retention will be EASIER if we win more. What if we had won our final 3 games, and finished 9-4?

Would we still have Njoku? Reed? Hightower? Lingard?

I think most people chose to "quit the team" because of coaches and scheme, not because of Ws and Ls.

But don't coaching and scheme and Ws and Ls go hand in hand? All I care about is winning. I used to go into a Saturday knowing that we'd dominate a team...not so much anymore.

Advertisement
So let me get this straight... You guys all agree that Enos was a nightmare and you'd wonder why any offensive skill player would want to play for him. So said kid goes into the portal. Then we get a real OC, said kid wants back in, and you tell him to take a hike for "lack of loyalty?"
Do you guys ever think through the sh*t you post before posting?

Going out on a limb and assuming you meant ‘83

Njoku might as well go to Rutgers at this point. Did hightower catch on any where? Crazy these guys havent announced where they are going yet and school around the country for different programs is about to start
There’s a zillion guys in this portal stuck there. Someone should do an expose’ on the shattered dreams of all the bozos who make their spectacular social media “I’m entering the portal” speeches thinking Alabaga and Clemson are gonna snatch them up and get them millions only to languish there interminably.

Advertisement
Back