Evidence Njoku (March 30 interview on Youtube)

teddywestside

Band
Banned
Evidence Njoku Interview - Miami Hurricanes Wide Receiver - YouTube

At 5:10, he says he's 6'5 213lbs (earlier said he's pushing 6'6), gaining 8 lbs in just a couple months of lifting and eating big.

He's already taller than David, and Kellen Winslow JR, and weighs as much as Winslow did when he enrolled at Miami.

This is March, 6 months before fall camp.

Conclusion: He gon' be a TE, probably transitioning during or prior to his SO year. Just like i predicted.

No one really talks about him, but i think he will be the reason why we don't need more than 1 TE this year, whether it's Jordan, Mallory, or someone else.

Advertisement

At 5:10, he says he's 6'5 213lbs (earlier said he's pushing 6'6), gaining 8 lbs in just a couple months of lifting and eating big.

He's already taller than David, and Kellen Winslow JR, and weighs as much as Winslow did when he enrolled at Miami.

Conclusion: He gon' be a TE, probably transitioning during or prior to his SO year. Just like i predicted.

No one really talks about him, but i think he will be the reason why we don't need more than 1 TE this year, whether it's Jordan, Mallory, or someone else.

Must be on that Rich Piana BIGGER BY THE DAY plan

Lol just like you predicted? it still hasn't happened and probably won't

Why don't you understand that 6'6" 213 =/= 6'4" 213? Evidence is too lean/slender to be a TE right now. Maybe a couple years down the road, but he isn't there right now. Stop pushing this so hard.

Why don't you understand that 6'6" 213 =/= 6'4" 213? Evidence is too lean/slender to be a TE right now. Maybe a couple years down the road, but he isn't there right now. Stop pushing this so hard.
David was 6'4 215 entering miami

Advertisement

Well said Grasshopper....The reality is Evi was fast enough to be his teams Kick-off & Punt-returner.. Being a strong but rail thin 6'6" doesn't mean he's going to put on another 30 or 40 lbs to switch to a tight-end...David is on record as affirming that Evi is faster than he ever was...

Reread that first sentence and think about it for a minute, man. Height to weight "ratio" if you will.

There is more to being a TE than being tall and good at catching a football. Evidence is a WR. A very tall one, but he is slender and very fast. Again, I could see him maybe in that role if he bulks up enough over the next few years, but he is a LONG way from TE. Go check out the measurables of TEs of his height.. Evidence is nowhere near big enough to be successful in that role right now, won't be as a freshman, and most likely won't be anytime after that. It isn't impossible, but unlikely. Would be glad to eat crow if he ends up at TE, but I believe someone on staff clarified he is a WR. I'm sure someone else knows who.

Reread that first sentence and think about it for a minute, man. Height to weight "ratio" if you will.

There is more to being a TE than being tall and good at catching a football. Evidence is a WR. A very tall one, but he is slender and very fast. Again, I could see him maybe in that role if he bulks up enough over the next few years, but he is a LONG way from TE. Go check out the measurables of TEs of his height.. Evidence is nowhere near big enough to be successful in that role right now, won't be as a freshman, and most likely won't be anytime after that. It isn't impossible, but unlikely. Would be glad to eat crow if he ends up at TE, but I believe someone on staff clarified he is a WR. I'm sure someone else knows who.
It really doesn't matter. He's 6'5 or 6'6 213 right now and will gain weight in a college program. Will play the slot like david but probably not as an inline tight end

Just to give the topic and OP benefit of the doubt. It's possible he ends up being a Bucky Hodges type guy. Listed as a TE but in reality is a WR.

Tight Ends that can block AND pass-catch at a high level are pretty rare nowadays. Guys like Njoku (David) are just big bodied WR's who line up on the line every once in a while. You see a lot more of guys who can catch being developed into blockers not the other way around. People obsess over position titles. It's a mismatch game.

Advertisement

It really doesn't matter. He's 6'5 or 6'6 213 right now and will gain weight in a college program. Will play the slot like david but probably not as an inline tight end

Yes, it does matter. Two inch difference in height but same weight = taller guy is skinnier. The one pic of the guys in pads makes him look bigger than he is because he's closer to the camera. He can gain weight but he's pretty **** thin right now actually. Not even close to where he would need to be to be considered a real TE. Even David is a fringe TE/WR, and he really couldn't block well at all until this season. There is a reason Herndon was getting as much playing time as he was earlier, because he was a legit threat to either block or run a route.

Just to give the topic and OP benefit of the doubt. It's possible he ends up being a Bucky Hodges type guy. Listed as a TE but in reality is a WR.

Tight Ends that can block AND pass-catch at a high level are pretty rare nowadays. Guys like Njoku (David) are just big bodied WR's who line up on the line every once in a while. You see a lot more of guys who can catch being developed into blockers not the other way around. People obsess over position titles. It's a mismatch game.

If this is the case, then sure, I can see it a couple years down the road if he bulks up enough. But I can't tell if OP and others are talking about the hybrid role or a true TE, because Evidence will never be a true TE.

Also, about the Bucky Hodges dude being labeled as a WR.. That's just a pure joke. Dude is strictly a WR. I remember commentators even poking fun at it during a VT game this past season.

Must be on that Rich Piana BIGGER BY THE DAY plan

Surprised that guy isn't dead yet.

Wouldn't we actually rather have a 6'6" guy playing WR? Rather than having him gain 30 lbs and teaching him to block and play TE, just let him do his thing against a bunch of 5'10" DBs.

Advertisement
Well he's definitely going to continue adding weight. And like I've said, I don't think the coaches are going to intentionally fatten him up so he can play TE. I think that its pretty likely he just naturally puts on another 30-50 lbs throughout his career. He's never going to be fat or anything. Just like his brother, he's going to have a low body fat %, so he's never really going to look all that big. But regardless what your height is, once you get in that 240lb range, you're really not a WR anymore. And if he's 6'5" 240lbs, thats a tight end build.
Realistically I'd expect him to be 230lbs by the start of next season. He's got a lot of muscle that he can add.

Wouldn't we actually rather have a 6'6" guy playing WR? Rather than having him gain 30 lbs and teaching him to block and play TE, just let him do his thing against a bunch of 5'10" DBs.

If he's a TE he can still be split out wide. But it just allows us to potentially play him inline which would just create more space for the WRs because he'd be a big threat up the seam.

Advertisement

Yes, it does matter. Two inch difference in height but same weight = taller guy is skinnier. The one pic of the guys in pads makes him look bigger than he is because he's closer to the camera. He can gain weight but he's pretty **** thin right now actually. Not even close to where he would need to be to be considered a real TE. Even David is a fringe TE/WR, and he really couldn't block well at all until this season. There is a reason Herndon was getting as much playing time as he was earlier, because he was a legit threat to either block or run a route.

Also body type David was much thicker than his brother coming out of high school. Evidence is much more wiry. I think I remains a receiver, a bigger receiver.

Totally different body types. Hard to see Evidence as a TE. Especially when he's a very good WR.

Advertisement
Back