Everyone loves The Pirate, right?

I'm not even THAT old, but when a coach questioned our toughness, we took on an "oh yeah, I'll show you" approach. We didn't crawl into a shell and cry about it.
Society today embraces victimhood.

"Wah, my coach/teacher is picking on me. Let me run away instead of proving them wrong."

I started coaching in 07-08 and today I have to coach kids with a completely different approach than I did back then. It has happened that fast. Saban actually spoke about this very subject at a clinic a few years ago. He doesn't even coach kids the same as he used to.

Today's kid is very emotional. They carry a lot of feminine tendencies. Lack of emotional regulation, lack of accountability, entitlement, lack of gratitude, etc. If you're a coach in today's world then it's very likely that you've had to alter the way you speak to these kids, or what YOU were used to as a kid.

We're doing a really good job of breeding soft young men who can't handle criticism or adversity. SMH

We've got high school coaches out here who are scared to coach certain kids hard because they fear that he'll transfer. It's that bad.

Great insight. Thank you for sharing.

Advertisement
Sucks to hear that.

Are kids that hard to deal with nowadays?
Yes, they can be.
But it's ultimately not their fault.
And they deserve to have strong men/role models in their lives to help set them straight.

My favorite quote about coaching...

"The interesting thing about coaching is that you have to trouble the comfortable, and comfort the troubled."

Yes, they can be.
But it's ultimately not their fault.
And they deserve to have strong men/role models in their lives to help set them straight.

My favorite quote about coaching...

"The interesting thing about coaching is that you have to trouble the comfortable, and comfort the troubled."
1670799601785.jpeg

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back