Everyone, Gather 'Round, Come And Reminisce

We are 8-8 over the past 16 games.

At this point in Randy's final year, we were 11-5.

Why should Golden stay when Randy was fired???

Advertisement
Randy Shannon was a terrible head coach....theres a reason why he hasnt had a head coaching job since.

Not sure what to think of Al but if he loses the next two games, he should definitely be on the hot seat. no questions about it.

I don't defend AG. But in my opinion I believe the defenders view it as different circumstances. AG proved that he can turn a team around at Temple, which should provide him a little more time than somebody unproven. Plus he stuck with Miami during the investigation during a time when he was considered a hot name. Shannon didn't have the same obstacles that AG had to overcome. So you can't really just look at records when comparing the two.

One of the biggest smoke jobs out there. Actually dig deep into what he did at Temple. All smoke and mirrors.

I agree....but that in comparison to nothing pretty much wins out. So I don't think him and Shannon's resume compare. But I still feel just like Shannon, he might not be the answer. But we won't really find out until next season.

I think Randy being a Cane and a DCo on the previous team is equal to what Al had on his resume from Temple. And holy **** about not being sure if Al is the answer. Unless the question is "Who is fat and is keeping my team mired in mediocrity?", then Al is definitely not the answer

I don't defend AG. But in my opinion I believe the defenders view it as different circumstances. AG proved that he can turn a team around at Temple, which should provide him a little more time than somebody unproven. Plus he stuck with Miami during the investigation during a time when he was considered a hot name. Shannon didn't have the same obstacles that AG had to overcome. So you can't really just look at records when comparing the two.

HOLY ****. No he wasn't. I remember 90% of the people on these boards asking who the **** he was when he was signed. IF he was a "hot" name it was only because he was being considered for the Miami job. What you're saying is that we lucked out by getting him. LULZZZ

SMH, now a coRch from Temple makes Miami instead of the other way around.

True...none of the fans knew who he was because everybody was hoping for Gruden. But him and Sumlin was pretty much mentioned in regards to almost every coaching vacancy. When he was hired the only people that was like "What the ***" was miami fans. But it seems like us Miami fans were probably right to be like "What the ***"....

Randy Shannon was a terrible head coach....theres a reason why he hasnt had a head coaching job since.

Not sure what to think of Al but if he loses the next two games, he should definitely be on the hot seat. no questions about it.
Where have you been the last 4 years? If you don't have an opinion one way or another don't enter this discussion. It doesn't take 4 ******* years to formulate an opinion on whether a coach is good or not.

Advertisement

We are 8-8 over the past 16 games. <--- Not sure what to think about THAT???

At this point in Randy's final year, we were 11-5.

Why should Golden stay when Randy was fired???

I am not defending Golden. I want him fired, but I am not going to stoop to lows and bring up race and a **** load of speculation. I also understand that there is a lot of other things that go on behind the scenes.

So being clean-cut, wearing a tie, speaking well with the NCAA, being a "good face for the program" and a "good CEO," aren't actual things people use to defend him?

Because his actual coaching career here has pretty much mirrored Randy Shannons. ^^ Those "positives" are just a polite way of saying "at least he isn't a black idiot."
We are finally getting at the truth. I noticed not many Golden slurpers want to explain their full throated support of Al Golden. They're quick to defend him but can't tell us what makes him so great and deserving to keep his job over a man that had a better record at the same point in his fourth year.

I think it's important to get this on social media. I think the questions we have deserve answers, and it would be unfortunate if the University continued to display such blatant racism.

Two sides are:

For Golden:
He has had to battle the sanctions and really hasn't had his fair share here.
He is a good recruiter and his commits for this year are good and next are really top level
We are starting to see progress, we have the quarterback that looks like a winner, and the future is really favorable

Against Golden:
He sucks at coaching. It's not something you can suddenly develop. He has proved time and time again that he can't beat good teams, he can't make adjustments, and his gut instincts flat out suck.

Advertisement
****, WEZ said they were going to turn this into a race thing if Al lost to F$U and people didn't want him fired. Not surprised they are going through w/ it lol.

It's *** as ****. It's a ****ing joke to anyone who has seen real racism. Personally, it makes me support Al Golden more. I was on the fence before, now I'm a Golden supporter because of this bull****.

Exactly. As a black man, it is garbage. It is all funny I guess , but the mods are in on it, which I don't like.

Totally agree - now we know what has happened to this site - same as Grassy and Rivals.

No, it's folks like you who aren't up to discussing observations.

Two guys, almost identical in every way - almost identical records - and one gets fired.

So if all other things being equal - what's a difference - what is dissimilar between the two?

You don't have to be a racist, or bigot to answer the question - what's the dissimilarity between the two, as their performances are almost identical?

You can do it! You don't have to try to demotivate the MODS to do your personal bidding.

Any casual observer could answer the question. Surely you're as bright as a non-fan, or casual observer, aren't you?

First I never said anything about Shannon vs Golden. I was commenting on the sentiments of a black man and his perspective which I value. And if you think the direction of the team is just based on wins and losses, then we have nothing to discuss. I am however, very very frustrated with our results and want it to change. But I will not do it the way fans like you do, that simple, different approaches. Will not call people names and slam their integrity or call them racist when I know nothing about them. Even in your best posts you cant help but put people down, never has been my style.

Two sides are:

For Golden:
He is a good recruiter and his commits for this year are good and next are really top level
We are starting to see progress, and the future is really favorable

Every single one of these statements is so false.

Two sides are:

For Golden:
We are starting to see progress, we have the quarterback that looks like a winner, and the future is really favorable

Against Golden:
He sucks at coaching. It's not something you can suddenly develop. He has proved time and time again that he can't beat good teams, he can't make adjustments, and his gut instincts flat out suck.
8-8 over the past 16 games. Randy was 11-5 at the same point in his 3rd/4th year.

I am not defending Golden. I want him fired, but I am not going to stoop to lows and bring up race and a **** load of speculation. I also understand that there is a lot of other things that go on behind the scenes.

So being clean-cut, wearing a tie, speaking well with the NCAA, being a "good face for the program" and a "good CEO," aren't actual things people use to defend him?

Because his actual coaching career here has pretty much mirrored Randy Shannons. ^^ Those "positives" are just a polite way of saying "at least he isn't a black idiot."
We are finally getting at the truth. I noticed not many Golden slurpers want to explain their full throated support of Al Golden. They're quick to defend him but can't tell us what makes him so great and deserving to keep his job over a man that had a better record at the same point in his fourth year.

Dude racism definitely still exists in some cases (Ty Willingham), but I don't think it applies here. You don't have to be a Golden Slurper or whatever other AG supporter nickname to know that its different circumstances. You getting answers, just not accepting them. Trying to lean on this race thing. You have to look at more than the record when comparing the two. Shannon was a DC with no head coaching experience. Golden had DC and head coaching experience. Shannon didn't have the same obstacles that Golden is dealing with (NCAA Investigation, Suspensions). Its a whole different ball game on why he would receive more time to prove himself. So when comparing the two I can see why he would be given an extra year. Remove Shannon from the conversation and **** nah AG don't deserve an extra year. It shouldn't take 4yrs to become a dominant program at Miami in the Coastal division of the ACC. Golden is a Big 10 coach trying to adjust to how we do things in the south. Not a good fit. Reason why I said he might not be the answer, rather than definitely not the answer is because as a Miami fan I hope i'm wrong. I hope he do get us rolling, because I don't see them firing him anytime soon. Changes will be made but unless we get our *** whooped by VA and Pitt, I think his job is safe.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Dude racism definitely still exists in some cases (Ty Willingham), but I don't think it applies here. You don't have to be a Golden Slurper or whatever other AG supporter nickname to know that its different circumstances. You getting answers, just not accepting them. Trying to lean on this race thing. You have to look at more than the record when comparing the two. Shannon was a DC with no head coaching experience. Golden had DC and head coaching experience. Shannon didn't have the same obstacles that Golden is dealing with (NCAA Investigation, Suspensions). Its a whole different ball game on why he would receive more time to prove himself. So when comparing the two I can see why he would be given an extra year. Remove Shannon from the conversation and **** nah AG don't deserve an extra year. It shouldn't take 4yrs to become a dominant program at Miami in the Coastal division of the ACC. Golden is a Big 10 coach trying to adjust to how we do things in the south. Not a good fit. Reason why I said he might not be the answer rather than definitely not the answer is because as a Miami fan I hope i'm wrong. I hope he do get us rolling because I don't see them firing him anytime soon.

Are you saying since Shannon didn't have the head coaching experience he should have been given a year more than Golden? Otherwise, what you've just written makes no sense whatsoever.

The "cloud" had little to no affect on recruiting (over the past 4 years, we've out-recruited 3 of the 4 teams that beat us this year). The so called sanctions are pretty much non-existent. Seriously, what's your point? Keep Shannon in the conversation and Golden deserves another year, remove him from the conversation and Golden doesn't? WTH are you saying?

Dude racism definitely still exists in some cases (Ty Willingham), but I don't think it applies here. You don't have to be a Golden Slurper or whatever other AG supporter nickname to know that its different circumstances. You getting answers, just not accepting them. Trying to lean on this race thing. You have to look at more than the record when comparing the two. Shannon was a DC with no head coaching experience. Golden had DC and head coaching experience. Shannon didn't have the same obstacles that Golden is dealing with (NCAA Investigation, Suspensions). Its a whole different ball game on why AG would receive more time to prove himself. So when comparing the two I can see why AG would be given an extra year. AG proved himself elsewhere as a HC, and he hasn't an equal chance as Shannon to prove himself here. Remove Shannon from the conversation and **** nah AG don't deserve an extra year. It shouldn't take 4yrs to become a dominant program at Miami in the Coastal division of the ACC. Golden is a Big 10 coach trying to adjust to how we do things in the south. Not a good fit. Reason why I said he might not be the answer rather than definitely not the answer is because as a Miami fan I hope i'm wrong. I hope he do get us rolling because I don't see them firing him anytime soon.

Are you saying since Shannon didn't have the head coaching experience he should have been given a year more than Golden? Otherwise, what you've just written makes no sense whatsoever.

The "cloud" had little to no affect on recruiting (over the past 4 years, we've out-recruited 3 of the 4 teams that beat us this year). The so called sanctions are pretty much non-existent. Seriously, what's your point? Keep Shannon in the conversation and Golden deserves another year, remove him from the conversation and Golden doesn't? WTH are you saying?

Calm down homie...not that serious. Typing while at work, corrected it.

Dude racism definitely still exists in some cases (Ty Willingham), but I don't think it applies here. You don't have to be a Golden Slurper or whatever other AG supporter nickname to know that its different circumstances. You getting answers, just not accepting them. Trying to lean on this race thing. You have to look at more than the record when comparing the two. Shannon was a DC with no head coaching experience. Golden had DC and head coaching experience. Shannon didn't have the same obstacles that Golden is dealing with (NCAA Investigation, Suspensions). Its a whole different ball game on why AG would receive more time to prove himself. So when comparing the two I can see why AG would be given an extra year. AG proved himself elsewhere as a HC, and he hasn't an equal chance as Shannon to prove himself here. Remove Shannon from the conversation and **** nah AG don't deserve an extra year. It shouldn't take 4yrs to become a dominant program at Miami in the Coastal division of the ACC. Golden is a Big 10 coach trying to adjust to how we do things in the south. Not a good fit. Reason why I said he might not be the answer rather than definitely not the answer is because as a Miami fan I hope i'm wrong. I hope he do get us rolling because I don't see them firing him anytime soon.

Calm down homie...not that serious. Typing while at work, corrected it.

What you just mentioned is the reasons why I feel Golden should get the ax. Its more reasons as well. But comparing him to Shannon for the sake of this thread doesn't help the fire AG cause. Comparing him to Shannon's situation is comparing two different circumstances, that actually argues the point of giving him more time. He wasn't provided an equal opportunity to prove himself as Shannon. He proved himself elsewhere, Shannon hasn't. So he should be allowed more time to prove himself than Shannon.

Advertisement
one coach took over a program not too far removed from glory days & then oversaw it as it was led into the shapiro mess

the other, took over a program that was crumbling, much further removed from winning anything remotely relevant, & coached us through a ****storm.

for all the reminiscing in here, how quickly we forget.

regardless. I trust my eyes. and my eyes tell me our team & program are at a much better place. in 2010, we finished with a few embarrassing losses & recruiting was falling apart. dont think we're headed towards the same fate.

but to address a few of the narratives in here. I, personally, was a Shannon supporter for almost his entire tenure, and wasnt calling for his head even at this point in his career(before the last couple games of 2010). I have no idea how one can read miami message boards, twitter, the banners in the sky, etc, and come away with the belief that the fanbase isnt feeling the same vitriol for golden as they were for shannon. As someone who would like to see Golden get another year(if we play the next 3 games like we've played the last 4), I feel as if im in an extreme minority.

All else being equal? How are these situations exactly the same? What If Golden has a lot more money guaranteed in his contract, where firing him would cost the school a lot more money than it would firing Shannon?
I'm really hoping you guys aren't being serious about playing the race angle, but I'm pretty sure some of you are.

All else being equal? How are these situations exactly the same? What If Golden has a lot more money guaranteed in his contract, where firing him would cost the school a lot more money than it would firing Shannon?
I'm really hoping you guys aren't being serious about playing the race angle, but I'm pretty sure some of you are.

This is what separates us from the current big boys of college football. Florida wouldn't have given two ***** if Muschamp was guaranteed $20 million in a buyout. Once they decided he wasn't the right guy for the job his *** was toast.

If we will not make the right decisions based solely on money then we will fall behind another rival yet again.

Golden is 8-8 over the past 16 games in his 3rd/4th year.
Randy was 11-5 at the same point and was fired at the end of his 4th year.

If Golden wins his next two, he'll be 10-8 over his past 18. Randy was 11-7 and was fired.

The cloud didn't keep us from having the most talented team in the coastal over the past 4 seasons. And yet, we still aren't in contention. 0-4 under Al, 0-4 under Randy.

Advertisement
Back