Even with ALL the other issues....

I never said they did, and teams very rarely do. There's always plays left out there during a game, on both sides.

My point was with all the other plays taken out, both missed by Miami and by our opponents, you're starting 4 wins in the face with first downs deep on your opponent's side of the field, and you fell flat on your face. Just crazy that every loss has been right there, and they can't seem to get out of their own way at the end.
With all the other plays taken out? You didn’t take out all the plays missed by our opponents. If Franks doesn’t throw that mind numbing interception you don’t make it to the last play. If dumbass Mullet picked the right QB they blow us out.

If CMU makes one more play they beat us.

So many plays made and missed on both sides throughout the whole game that focusing only on a kick we missed or a punt we dropped without giving equal focus to the plays the opponents didn’t make is buffoonery. It’s exactly what Manure Diaz is trying to dupe all the rubes Into believing with his latest “4 plays away from 7-0” shell game nonsense.

Advertisement
With all the other plays taken out? You didn’t take out all the plays missed by our opponents. If Franks doesn’t throw that mind numbing interception you don’t make it to the last play. If dumbass Mullet picked the right QB they blow us out.

If CMU makes one more play they beat us.

So many plays made and missed on both sides throughout the whole game that focusing only on a kick we missed or a punt we dropped without giving equal focus to the plays the opponents didn’t make is buffoonery. It’s exactly what Manure Diaz is trying to dupe all the rubes Into believing with his latest “4 plays away from 7-0” shell game nonsense.

If if if. If Thomas doesn't drop the punt. If Mallory doesn't hold. If the refs spot the ball correctly. There's a ton of plays our opponents missed, there's a ton Miami missed as well. That's not the point. I'm just saying that at every point in those losses, no matter who missed what, Miami had the ball with a first down deep in opponent's territory and a really good chance to win. And they blew it every single time.

Now, if they don't, does it make Miami a much better team? Say they do capitalize every time, and we beat GT 24-21. We beat VT in overtime. We beat UNC in overtime. It doesn't make Miami a much better team than they are now. They'd still be pretty **** average. Just like they were in 2013 when they were 7-0 and ranked #7 but needed last second heart attacks to beat a terrible UF team and Wake Forest. But I have a sneaking suspicion this board and the fanbase in general would be jussssssst a little different. But we'd still have the same issues we have now. So how do you resolve that and get to the level of the REAL top 10 teams? And in the short-term, how do you stop falling flat on your face at the end of games?

I get what you are saying.
We were that close in each of our losses

I hate to say it, but maybe it's better that we've taken those L's.
I'd like to think that, if Manny actually practices what he preaches about accountability, some heads will roll.

Isn't this a little like 2017? Except that we won all of those close ones.
We were a mediocre football team that played 1 very good game (VT) and 1 great game (ND).

Now we've lost the close ones. We've played a good game against a ranked UVA.
Who knows, maybe we'll blow away Pitt on Saturday.
If we do, it shouldn't fool us at all because we a not a very good football team.

We are who we are.
Changes have to be made.

It was 7-3 when Franks fumbled. Some of the bounces have gone our way as you noted. We are indeed a bad football team. But to have this happen so often in critical spots leads one to believe that there's probably some type of divine intervention occurring whenever we're about to gain any type of momentum.
That’s why I’ve been praying every day!!!! Please Lord help us!!!

2017 was the worst thing that could have happened to Miami. What should've been an 8-4 regular season with a trip to El Paso ended up with us getting exposed hard and we never recovered. Oh and it got Manny hired as HC. The day we slaughtered ND was the best it will ever get around here for at least 75 years.

Advertisement
….this is really insane when you think about it:

Game 1 -- Down 24-20. Ball 1st and 10 on the UF 24 with 1:00 left. Need a TD to win. Lose the game 24-20.
Game 2 -- Down 28-25. Ball 1st and 10 on the UNC 32 with 0:32 left. Need a FG to tie, TD to win. Lose the game 28-25.
Game 5 -- Down 42-35. Ball 1st and 10 on the VT 11 with 0:11 left. Need a TD to tie. Lose the game 42-25.
Game 7 -- Tied 21-21. Ball 1st and 10 on the GT 11 with 2:08 left. Need a FG to win. Lose the game 28-21 in overtime.

NOW....this doesn't excuse the fact that we're even in these situations against teams like VT and GT, but **** is that frustrating. How can you look yourself in the mirror if you're a member of that offense or FG team? You had FOUR games completely in your control, regardless of what happened the previous 58+ minutes, and you failed every single time.

tenor (9).gif

I disagree.

Agaisnt UF, UF was driving in our red zone about to go up 14-0 and Franks fumbles.

Against VT, the hail mary pass before halftime gave us some life and got us back in the game.

Against GT, they fumble near our redzone as they are driving down the field to take the lead.

We have consistently come out flat and we have consistently stalled on offense in the redzone. We aren't cursed we just aren't very good.
You're exactly right...I keep seeing this "we're just a few plays away" comments, but no one considers the other teams miscues that offset any of that. Sure we probably have more miscues than the other teams, but you can't just say we're a few plays away from anything.

It does suck to lose such in such a fashion, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. But its also what separates the average average/bad teams from good teams.

/thread

Lots of under .500 teams in the NFL a few plays from being undefeated. How close we are to winning games means nothing other than we're a below average team that still hasn't figured it out after 7 weeks.... and we're getting worse.

you can't play this game this bad, for this long...and it be simply "bad luck".
if you played this sport ever...you already know why we are playing so badly...its very evident.

Advertisement
The product on the field is pure garbage. Don't care if we were 7-0. It wouldnt mean anything. the team is awful

It wouldn’t mean anything? Not true. It would mean Miami has a reliable kicker, for one thing.

And the whole narrative surrounding the season would be totally different. At 7-0 this would be a “scrappy” team that is “learning how to win close games” with a first time head coach and “young players in key positions,” etc.

But that’s not the narrative because, as OP pointed out, this is a team that can’t finish games when it’s there for the taking.

you can't play this game this bad, for this long...and it be simply "bad luck".
if you played this sport ever...you already know why we are playing so badly...its very evident.

Uh, "this long"? We're talking about a few plays. That is a very small sample size. Heck, 1-2 seasons would be too small a sample size to conclude that our close game performance isn't luck.

No one is arguing that we are an elite team or playing well. But we should have 4 or 5 wins at this point.

I don't blame you for misunderstanding sample sizes, though. It is the natural human instinct to try to find meaning when there isn't any. People routinely way underestimate how large samples need to be in order for them to be meaningful.

But I do blame you for hiding behind the "if you played this sport" defense. Playing this sport (or any sport) at a high level has nothing to do with being able to analyze it - just look at the backgrounds of the top GMs and the folks printing money in Vegas.

3rd down against GT and we all know you have to score a TD to avoid having to miss a FG and go to overtime. Look at that play call......a fade to the end zone after running into the line 2x before that. That's Enos GOT TO HAVE IT PLAY CALL? It's sad man

Advertisement

Game 1 -- Down 24-20. Ball 1st and 10 on the UF 24 with 1:00 left. Need a TD to win. Lose the game 24-20.
Game 2 -- Down 28-25. Ball 1st and 10 on the UNC 32 with 0:32 left. Need a FG to tie, TD to win. Lose the game 28-25.
Game 5 -- Down 42-35. Ball 1st and 10 on the VT 11 with 0:11 left. Need a TD to tie. Lose the game 42-25.
Game 7 -- Tied 21-21. Ball 1st and 10 on the GT 11 with 2:08 left. Need a FG to win. Lose the game 28-21 in overtime.

NOW....this doesn't excuse the fact that we're even in these situations against teams like VT and GT, but **** is that frustrating. How can you look yourself in the mirror if you're a member of that offense or FG team? You had FOUR games completely in your control, regardless of what happened the previous 58+ minutes, and you failed every single time.

going down 21-0 and 28-0. explain that for me please.

Advertisement
Uh, "this long"? We're talking about a few plays. That is a very small sample size. Heck, 1-2 seasons would be too small a sample size to conclude that our close game performance isn't luck.

No one is arguing that we are an elite team or playing well. But we should have 4 or 5 wins at this point.

I don't blame you for misunderstanding sample sizes, though. It is the natural human instinct to try to find meaning when there isn't any. People routinely way underestimate how large samples need to be in order for them to be meaningful.

But I do blame you for hiding behind the "if you played this sport" defense. Playing this sport (or any sport) at a high level has nothing to do with being able to analyze it - just look at the backgrounds of the top GMs and the folks printing money in Vegas.

You could not be more wrong. I will just leave it at that.
Thanks for sharing your opinion.

It's not that we're not Good, the team Lacks Passion!!!! Manny's D, while he was DC played with an EDGE, no matter what, they always kept us in the game but now??? The D is Flat, The Offense is Flat and they don't look like they're having fun on either side of the ball!!!
Manny looks Flat, Stoic, Lifeless, just standing there and watching. I never see him talking or coaching up players or even talking with Coaches???

I disagree.

Agaisnt UF, UF was driving in our red zone about to go up 14-0 and Franks fumbles.

Against VT, the hail mary pass before halftime gave us some life and got us back in the game.

Against GT, they fumble near our redzone as they are driving down the field to take the lead.

We have consistently come out flat and we have consistently stalled on offense in the redzone. We aren't cursed we just aren't very good.

You could not be more wrong. I will just leave it at that.
Thanks for sharing your opinion.

You'll leave it at that because you do not understand sample sizes, so your response would be incoherent and poorly informed. It would be based on your gut and subjective experiences. In would lack anything that resembles supporting evidence. And it certainly wouldn't cite any data, that's for sure.

That's OK, though, you played high school football or something.

That's the whole process of learning to lose! We ready now!

Advertisement
Back