Even with ALL the other issues....

And there's no analytical value in any of this beyond fodder for those who want to just cry themselves to sleep.

Nobody is saying Miami is a good football team or does not have major problems. But with a redzone offense and kicker that had a tiny pulse, the narrative surrounding this football team would be considerably different. So maybe we're a little closer to respectability and success than "fire everyone associated with the program and revoke all scholarships", which seems to be the sentiment around here from the great unwashed.

An entire season of one score games contained within a junk schedule and you STILL have a losing record would (imo) lend more credibility to the fire everyone argument than the we could closer to respectability one but that's a subjective view.

I just think when your wins are basically by the same scenario as your losses that there's no need to analyze anything additionally on the per game level and it's more accurate to just look at our overall record and the quality of our opponents alone and that big picture is uglier than The Beast at strip mall Chinese buffet that ran out of utensils.

Last edited:
Advertisement
….this is really insane when you think about it:

Game 1 -- Down 24-20. Ball 1st and 10 on the UF 24 with 1:00 left. Need a TD to win. Lose the game 24-20.
Game 2 -- Down 28-25. Ball 1st and 10 on the UNC 32 with 0:32 left. Need a FG to tie, TD to win. Lose the game 28-25.
Game 5 -- Down 42-35. Ball 1st and 10 on the VT 11 with 0:11 left. Need a TD to tie. Lose the game 42-25.
Game 7 -- Tied 21-21. Ball 1st and 10 on the GT 11 with 2:08 left. Need a FG to win. Lose the game 28-21 in overtime.

NOW....this doesn't excuse the fact that we're even in these situations against teams like VT and GT, but **** is that frustrating. How can you look yourself in the mirror if you're a member of that offense or FG team? You had FOUR games completely in your control, regardless of what happened the previous 58+ minutes, and you failed every single time.

Bad coaches find ways to lose in the second half.

FG position to tie the UNC game? It was a 50 yarder. How many college kickers are making 50 yarders on the road at the end of games?

Agree totally on Kosi vs VT, but that's my complaint. The offense has sucked when we've needed them the most (and so has the defense, truthfully).

But to me, the 2 biggest stories of this season have been the red zone offense and the kickers. If we were just average in those areas, we're probably 6-1. And before the miserable masses jump on me, I'm not saying that all the problems would be solved or Manny would be great or anything of the sort. Just saying that to me, those are the 2 biggest issues at the top of Problem Mountain. The defense has its flaws, the offense in general does as well, but the redzone offense and kicking game are the 2 things killing this team more than anything.

I can kind of feel for Enos though, you have the worst OL in the nation, and either a QB who can't move off his first read or a QB whose first two games were away against respectable opponents. The red zone just exacerbates those issues as the field condenses and offenses become a bit easier to defend. I wonder how much more he can do scheme wise to help out what is a bang-average offense.

The defense on the other hand is a toxic combination of a poor back 7 and the worst scheming we've seen since Doritos. You can point to the stats all you want, but situationally we're 0 for 100 in must stops, we've put our offense in horrendous situations to start a game twice already, and against GT, one of the absolute worst offenses in America, we couldn't get off the field in the second half, leaving our offense with 4 possessions.

I despise this defense and place so much more of the blame on them than the offense.

I can kind of feel for Enos though, you have the worst OL in the nation, and either a QB who can't move off his first read or a QB whose first two games were away against respectable opponents. The red zone just exacerbates those issues as the field condenses and offenses become a bit easier to defend. I wonder how much more he can do scheme wise to help out what is a bang-average offense.

The defense on the other hand is a toxic combination of a poor back 7 and the worst scheming we've seen since Doritos. You can point to the stats all you want, but situationally we're 0 for 100 in must stops, we've put our offense in horrendous situations to start a game twice already, and against GT, one of the absolute worst offenses in America, we couldn't get off the field in the second half, leaving our offense with 4 possessions.

I despise this defense and place so much more of the blame on them than the offense.

This goes back to the chicken vs the egg discussion I've been having for weeks.

Not disagreeing with you, you're correct, but if the offense could actually score some points in the situations it gives itself throughout the entire game, the defense wouldn't need these must stops. But when you can't score TDs or make field goals and let teams hang around, you can possibly lose games.

And again, you're correct about the defense in the 2nd half against GT. But you said it....Miami was left with 4 2nd half possessions. They scored exactly 0 points on those 4 drives. That just can't happen and that's how you lose games. It's 2019....all the rules of the game are geared towards the offense and scoring points. We shouldn't be in nail-biting games in the 20s when you've got 4 star kids littered all over your offensive depth chart. Score some god**** points in the redzone.

Advertisement
Unfortunately I believe this weeks game is going to be an eye opener for everyone and we won't hear anymore about how we could be 7-0 if only that happened or we still have a chance at winning the Coastal.

This goes back to the chicken vs the egg discussion I've been having for weeks.

Not disagreeing with you, you're correct, but if the offense could actually score some points in the situations it gives itself throughout the entire game, the defense wouldn't need these must stops. But when you can't score TDs or make field goals and let teams hang around, you can possibly lose games.

And again, you're correct about the defense in the 2nd half against GT. But you said it....Miami was left with 4 2nd half possessions. They scored exactly 0 points on those 4 drives. That just can't happen and that's how you lose games. It's 2019....all the rules of the game are geared towards the offense and scoring points. We shouldn't be in nail-biting games in the 20s when you've got 4 star kids littered all over your offensive depth chart. Score some god**** points in the redzone.
I just don't see this star studded offense or 4 star kids playing to their potential. Let's face it, our receivers outside of KJ have been below average. Brevin is the only TE we've got. Our running game disappears for long stretches of games. Kosi is garbage. And we've got the death knell to end all death knells in our OL. We've been leaving points off the board but it's crazy talk to think you can just scheme around our OL or Kosi is some stud waiting to be unleashed if we call the right gameplan.

Meanwhile, our defense has been allowing season high's for the opposing offenses in nearly every game they've played.

I just don't see this star studded offense or 4 star kids playing to their potential. Let's face it, our receivers outside of KJ have been below average. Brevin is the only TE we've got. Our running game disappears for long stretches of games. Kosi is garbage. And we've got the death knell to end all death knells in our OL. We've been leaving points off the board but it's crazy talk to think you can just scheme around our OL or Kosi is some stud waiting to be unleashed if we call the right gameplan.

Meanwhile, our defense has been allowing season high's for the opposing offenses in nearly every game they've played.

This is not true. It’s not even close to being true.

Advertisement

This is not true.

In losses it is. Highest YPP for UNC all season was against Miami. Most rush yards and TOP for GT all season against Miami. Most points scored in a game that didn't go 6OT's all season for VT was against Miami.

What?

UF average YPP in FBS games vs Not Miami: 6.02
Vs Miami: 5.53

UNC average YPP in FBS games vs Not Miami: 5.59
Vs Miami: 6.38

Central Michigan YPP in FBS games vs Not Miami: 6.36
Vs Miami: 3.18

Virginia Tech YPP in FBS games vs Not Miami: 5.31
Vs Miami: 5.35

Virginia YPP in FBS games vs Not Miami: 4.84
Vs Miami: 4.47

Georgia Tech in FBS games vs Not Miami: 4.7
Vs. Miami: 4.7 (when you take out the fake punt)

So aside from UNC, nobody has really been putting up season highs of anything against Miami's defense. And as I've been saying, the defense hasn't been good enough. Especially late in games. But the offense (specifically the red zone offense) and special teams are what's been holding this team back the most.

What?

UF average YPP in FBS games vs Not Miami: 6.02
Vs Miami: 5.53

UNC average YPP in FBS games vs Not Miami: 5.59
Vs Miami: 6.38

Central Michigan YPP in FBS games vs Not Miami: 6.36
Vs Miami: 3.18

Virginia Tech YPP in FBS games vs Not Miami: 5.31
Vs Miami: 5.35

Virginia YPP in FBS games vs Not Miami: 4.84
Vs Miami: 4.47

Georgia Tech in FBS games vs Not Miami: 4.7
Vs. Miami: 4.7 (when you take out the fake punt)

So aside from UNC, nobody has really been putting up season highs of anything against Miami's defense. And as I've been saying, the defense hasn't been good enough. Especially late in games. But the offense (specifically the red zone offense) and special teams are what's been holding this team back the most.
Please see my other post

Exactly. I'm watching FSU/Clemson 2 weeks ago, and Clemson has a 4th and goal at the FSU 2....no panic, they line up in the gun, play off the edge defender, and flip a gorgeous little shuttle pass to Etienne when the edge defender takes himself out of the play. Gorgeous. Creative. Easy. Guy walks in for a TD. It's crazy, maybe I'm too critical, but it seems like we literally NEVER see **** like that.

Only problem is when we do that someone blocks the wrong guy or doesn't block anyone at all.

The red zone issue is we can't run the ball which shrinks the playbook dramatically,

Advertisement
Please see my other post

I read it. I don't care about TOP, it's a useless stat. Oklahoma has the best offense in the country, they're 81st in TOP.

And for VT, sure they scored a lot of points. Teams tend to do that when you give them the ball on your side of the field 3 times in a quarter. Although I will say, that was the most disappointing defensive performance of the year. I'm not going to stick up for the defense much as it is, but certainly not that week. They got ZERO help from the offense in the 1st half, but you still can't give up 6 TDs in 6 redzone trips against a first time starting QB.

That VT game aside, the defense has been good enough to win every other game. They fold in the 4th quarter, which is frustrating as **** and what prevents me from giving them much praise. And again, they haven't been good...but they've been good enough the vast majority of the time. We're 94th in the country in scoring offense. 94th.

Only problem is when we do that someone blocks the wrong guy or doesn't block anyone at all.

The red zone issue is we can't run the ball which shrinks the playbook dramatically,

So....maybe......coach the kids?

(And I'm not putting all the blame on the staff. At some point, kids need to make plays and just whip the kid ahead of you. But why does every other team look better coached? Miami has nothing but dumbasses and sub-par football players? No.)

It's not that we're not Good, the team Lacks Passion!!!! Manny's D, while he was DC played with an EDGE, no matter what, they always kept us in the game but now??? The D is Flat, The Offense is Flat and they don't look like they're having fun on either side of the ball!!!
Manny looks Flat, Stoic, Lifeless, just standing there and watching. I never see him talking or coaching up players or even talking with Coaches???
Manure’s “passionate” D sent him off to Temple by quitting for him against Wisconsin.

Advertisement
FG position to tie the UNC game? It was a 50 yarder. How many college kickers are making 50 yarders on the road at the end of games?

Agree totally on Kosi vs VT, but that's my complaint. The offense has sucked when we've needed them the most (and so has the defense, truthfully).

But to me, the 2 biggest stories of this season have been the red zone offense and the kickers. If we were just average in those areas, we're probably 6-1. And before the miserable masses jump on me, I'm not saying that all the problems would be solved or Manny would be great or anything of the sort. Just saying that to me, those are the 2 biggest issues at the top of Problem Mountain. The defense has its flaws, the offense in general does as well, but the redzone offense and kicking game are the 2 things killing this team more than anything.
Redzone defense has been just as bad other than the uva game

I read it. I don't care about TOP, it's a useless stat. Oklahoma has the best offense in the country, they're 81st in TOP.

And for VT, sure they scored a lot of points. Teams tend to do that when you give them the ball on your side of the field 3 times in a quarter. Although I will say, that was the most disappointing defensive performance of the year. I'm not going to stick up for the defense much as it is, but certainly not that week. They got ZERO help from the offense in the 1st half, but you still can't give up 6 TDs in 6 redzone trips against a first time starting QB.

That VT game aside, the defense has been good enough to win every other game. They fold in the 4th quarter, which is frustrating as **** and what prevents me from giving them much praise. And again, they haven't been good...but they've been good enough the vast majority of the time. We're 94th in the country in scoring offense. 94th.
All while being 7th in the nation in red zone attempts. Which I think proves my point that in the red zone you can't hide your deficiencies. And our deficiencies are so massive, that it's extremely difficult to overcome. I don't get why a guy like you is choosing to ignore how we have the worst OL in the nation -- which results in us not being able to run, depend on the QB, and for the past few games with Kosi in charge our scoring has plummeted because he is a limited QB.

And let's just reiterate what the defense has been responsible for this year. 17 points in the first quarter against UNC, 28 in total, while allowing our CB's be on an island all day despite them getting slaughtered every time a pass was completed. Not a SINGLE stop for a FG when we turned the ball over against VT -- which proved crucial with 11 seconds left. And against GT getting gashed all game long, pathetically so. Season high in 3 crucial stats for all three of those teams against our terrible D.

Advertisement
Back