Even with ALL the other issues....

….this is really insane when you think about it:

Game 1 -- Down 24-20. Ball 1st and 10 on the UF 24 with 1:00 left. Need a TD to win. Lose the game 24-20.
Game 2 -- Down 28-25. Ball 1st and 10 on the UNC 32 with 0:32 left. Need a FG to tie, TD to win. Lose the game 28-25.
Game 5 -- Down 42-35. Ball 1st and 10 on the VT 11 with 0:11 left. Need a TD to tie. Lose the game 42-25.
Game 7 -- Tied 21-21. Ball 1st and 10 on the GT 11 with 2:08 left. Need a FG to win. Lose the game 28-21 in overtime.

NOW....this doesn't excuse the fact that we're even in these situations against teams like VT and GT, but **** is that frustrating. How can you look yourself in the mirror if you're a member of that offense or FG team? You had FOUR games completely in your control, regardless of what happened the previous 58+ minutes, and you failed every single time.

The problem with the "they have to learn how to win" people is that Diaz was part of the staff the last 4 years. I can understand the offensive woes, but why is the defense unable to step up in crucial situations?

The biggest indictment is special teams. Low hanging fruit. Should be an easy fix. Why dont you at least have a halfway decent kicker on the roster? Not even a D2 transfer as a backup? What was the plan if the kicker went down- ask a kid who cant kick beyond 20 yards to take over? I said before the season that Diaz did nothing to address it and it would cost the team at least 4 games. How is it that I knew this and a guy make 3 million per year did not?

Advertisement
The problem with the "they have to learn how to win" people is that Diaz was part of the staff the last 4 years. I can understand the offensive woes, but why is the defense unable to step up in crucial situations?

The biggest indictment is special teams. Low hanging fruit. Should be an easy fix. Why dont you at least have a halfway decent kicker on the roster? Not even a D2 transfer as a backup? What was the plan if the kicker went down- ask a kid who cant kick beyond 20 yards to take over? I said before the season that Diaz did nothing to address it and it would cost the team at least 4 games. How is it that I knew this and a guy make 3 million per year did not?

While frustrating as ****, I really don't know what you do if you're Diaz with the kicker situation. Baxa was, at worst, "OK" last year. He wasn't a complete nuclear meltdown. Very few schools carry 2 scholarship kickers. Miami is a private school, you don't have a ton of walk-ons to choose from. So if your scholarship kicker completely goes in the tank in Game 1, I'm not sure what options you really have. So it's incredibly embarrassing, but I don't know how I'd solve the problem either if I'm in Manny's shoes. You just can't count on or anticipate your kicker's brain completely breaking, and I don't know how many private schools would have a contingency plan in place if it does. If he'd have signed another kicker on scholarship in the 2019 class, this board would have lambasted him.

Are we really blaming the offense for not scoring a TD with 32 and 11 seconds left in games?

I get what you are saying.
We were that close in each of our losses

I hate to say it, but maybe it's better that we've taken those L's.
I'd like to think that, if Manny actually practices what he preaches about accountability, some heads will roll.

Isn't this a little like 2017? Except that we won all of those close ones.
We were a mediocre football team that played 1 very good game (VT) and 1 great game (ND).

Now we've lost the close ones. We've played a good game against a ranked UVA.
Who knows, maybe we'll blow away Pitt on Saturday.
If we do, it shouldn't fool us at all because we a not a very good football team.

We are who we are.
Changes have to be made.
Very much like 2017, but everything bounced our way that year. Didn't we also get a miracle 4th down conversion against GT that year as well?

This offseason will be telling, changes need made. We will see what Manny does.

Advertisement
Are we really blaming the offense for not scoring a TD with 32 and 11 seconds left in games?

With 32 seconds left, we needed a FG to tie and a TD to win, and had timeouts. So yes, that game should have been at least tied.

With 11 seconds, you're on the 10 yard line. They had 2 plays. So yes, it's certainly an appropriate criticism. Also, if you want to get more into that one, I simplified it by fast-forwarding to the 10 yard line with :11 on the clock. Miami got the ball with over a minute left and 1 timeout. Plenty of time in the college game to score a TD. They also had the ball on their own 45 with over :45 left to go and still with that timeout. So yes, that's on your offense. I'm not saying it's an incredibly high percentage that you score in that situation, but you had 2 plays from the 10 to tie a game, and neither had even a remote chance to being successful.

This has been one of the oddest seasons I've had as a UM fan in 30+ years.

We could be 7-0 and we could be 1-6.

We play up to good teams, down to bad ones.

We've led in every fourth quarter.

We are losing in part because of stupid basic ****, not dynamic plays. Fake punts, missed chip shot FGs, muffed punts,

I want to lay it all on Manny one week, the players the next.

Frustrating, just plain frustrating.

With 32 seconds left, we needed a FG to tie and a TD to win, and had timeouts. So yes, that game should have been at least tied.

With 11 seconds, you're on the 10 yard line. They had 2 plays. So yes, it's certainly an appropriate criticism. Also, if you want to get more into that one, I simplified it by fast-forwarding to the 10 yard line with :11 on the clock. Miami got the ball with over a minute left and 1 timeout. Plenty of time in the college game to score a TD. They also had the ball on their own 45 with over :45 left to go and still with that timeout. So yes, that's on your offense. I'm not saying it's an incredibly high percentage that you score in that situation, but you had 2 plays from the 10 to tie a game, and neither had even a remote chance to being successful.
And we got in FG position to tie the UNC game, and against VT Kosi forced the ball into triple coverage when, if he was capable of making progressions, he had a wide open Hightower streaking to the corner of the endzone.

In both those games Miami outscored the opponent from the second quarter on 22-3 and 35-14 before the final defensive possession. That's enough to win games. These kids are the FARTHEST thing from having ice running through their veins so to expect them come up big in extremely tight situations is fantasy thinking. Sucks that we've wasted them managing to get us out of horrible spots only to immediately get back into a horrible spot. Fvck the defense man.

Advertisement
And we got in FG position to tie the UNC game, and against VT Kosi forced the ball into triple coverage when, if he was capable of making progressions, he had a wide open Hightower streaking to the corner of the endzone.

In both those games Miami outscored the opponent from the second quarter on 22-3 and 35-14 before the final defensive possession. That's enough to win games. These kids are the FARTHEST thing from having ice running through their veins so to expect them come up big in extremely tight situations is fantasy thinking. Sucks that we've wasted them managing to get us out of horrible spots only to immediately get back into a horrible spot. Fvck the defense man.

FG position to tie the UNC game? It was a 50 yarder. How many college kickers are making 50 yarders on the road at the end of games?

Agree totally on Kosi vs VT, but that's my complaint. The offense has sucked when we've needed them the most (and so has the defense, truthfully).

But to me, the 2 biggest stories of this season have been the red zone offense and the kickers. If we were just average in those areas, we're probably 6-1. And before the miserable masses jump on me, I'm not saying that all the problems would be solved or Manny would be great or anything of the sort. Just saying that to me, those are the 2 biggest issues at the top of Problem Mountain. The defense has its flaws, the offense in general does as well, but the redzone offense and kicking game are the 2 things killing this team more than anything.

With all the other plays taken out? You didn’t take out all the plays missed by our opponents. If Franks doesn’t throw that mind numbing interception you don’t make it to the last play. If dumbass Mullet picked the right QB they blow us out.

If CMU makes one more play they beat us.

So many plays made and missed on both sides throughout the whole game that focusing only on a kick we missed or a punt we dropped without giving equal focus to the plays the opponents didn’t make is buffoonery. It’s exactly what Manure Diaz is trying to dupe all the rubes Into believing with his latest “4 plays away from 7-0” shell game nonsense.

Exactly. This only becomes difficult to comprehend if one has an agenda based in spin. Ohhhh, we're sooooo close. A couple different bounces our way and just imagine the excitement!

Get the f*ck outta my face with that nonsense. Bottom line is we've played a junk schedule and STILL have a losing record. You don't get to talk about single effing plays when you very easily could be 1-6 based on the same logic or lack thereof.

Our record is EXACTLY who we are.

Game 1 -- Down 24-20. Ball 1st and 10 on the UF 24 with 1:00 left. Need a TD to win. Lose the game 24-20.
Game 2 -- Down 28-25. Ball 1st and 10 on the UNC 32 with 0:32 left. Need a FG to tie, TD to win. Lose the game 28-25.
Game 5 -- Down 42-35. Ball 1st and 10 on the VT 11 with 0:11 left. Need a TD to tie. Lose the game 42-25.
Game 7 -- Tied 21-21. Ball 1st and 10 on the GT 11 with 2:08 left. Need a FG to win. Lose the game 28-21 in overtime.

NOW....this doesn't excuse the fact that we're even in these situations against teams like VT and GT, but **** is that frustrating. How can you look yourself in the mirror if you're a member of that offense or FG team? You had FOUR games completely in your control, regardless of what happened the previous 58+ minutes, and you failed every single time.
All the players care about is fashion and IG quotes...

Advertisement
Exactly. This only becomes difficult to comprehend if one has an agenda based in spin. Ohhhh, we're sooooo close. A couple different bounces our way and just imagine the excitement!

Get the f*ck outta my face with that nonsense. Bottom line is we've played a junk schedule and STILL have a losing record. You don't get to talk about single effing plays when you very easily could be 1-6 based on the same logic or lack thereof.

Our record is EXACTLY who we are.

That is an oversimplification imo, but I get your point. When you have too many if, ands or buts, it just is who you are.

That is an oversimplification imo, but I get your point. When you have too many if, ands or buts, it just is who you are.

I understand people trying to analyze this but I don't think it's an oversimplification because all of our games (sans Bethune) have been one score differential affairs. Now factor in the weakness of the overall schedule and those that lean toward saying we coulddddd be 7-0 really have no more credibility and possibly less than those that say we could be 1-6.

I just find no actual analytical value in any of this beyond fodder for those that want to pump hope.

I understand people trying to analyze this but I don't think it's an oversimplification because all of our games (sans Bethune) have been one score differential affairs. Now factor in the weakness of the overall schedule and those that lean toward saying we coulddddd be 7-0 really have no more credibility and possibly less than those that say we could be 1-6.

I just find no actual analytical value in any of this beyond fodder for those that want to pump hope.

And there's no analytical value in any of this beyond fodder for those who want to just cry themselves to sleep.

Nobody is saying Miami is a good football team or does not have major problems. But with a redzone offense and kicker that had a tiny pulse, the narrative surrounding this football team would be considerably different. So maybe we're a little closer to respectability and success than "fire everyone associated with the program and revoke all scholarships", which seems to be the sentiment around here from the great unwashed.

Advertisement

I look at this and see a defense not doing its job & STs turning state’s evidence. In my opinion, what’s the point of trying to maintain a system if the defense we trot out is going to produce mediocre results? Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech should have never moved the ball against our defense. And we basically gave UNC a three touchdown Headstart.

I expected offensive woes. But, Dan has really ****ed me off with his arrogance and unwillingness to adapt. Our quarterbacks are definitely playing much better than they did last year. But, the offense is still an injured bird.

I look at the total points produced against the teams we lost to, and I still come to the conclusion that we should have beat those teams with our point total. Florida is the only team that should have scored more than 14 points against us.

I look at this and see a defense not doing its job & STs turning state’s evidence. In my opinion, what’s the point of trying to maintain a system if the defense we trot out is going to produce mediocre results? Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech should have never moved the ball against our defense. And we basically gave UNC a three touchdown Headstart.

I expected offensive woes. But, Dan has really ****ed me off with his arrogance and unwillingness to adapt. Our quarterbacks are definitely playing much better than they did last year. But, the offense is still an injured bird.

I look at the total points produced against the teams we lost to, and I still come to the conclusion that we should have beat those teams with our point total. Florida is the only team that should have scored more than 14 points against us.

If you look at teams with 6 games vs FBS teams.....Miami ranks #20 in redzone chances. Only 19 teams in the country have gotten in the red area more than us.

Of those 20 teams, Miami is DEAD LAST in number of TDs scored. 13 TDs in 26 trips. So, the offense is moving the ball and getting inside the 20. And then completely collapsing once it's there to the tune of the worst ratio in the country when compared to other teams having as much success getting to that point. Just brutal.

Advertisement
Back