ESPN: 'They're in a deep, deep hole': Inside the 6-year unraveling of Florida State football

Agreed. This portion of the article was interesting:

If Fisher was brusque, however, those close to him believed it was out of necessity. Bowden's tenure also ended poorly, as a contingent of boosters ushered the aging coach out the door after many years of mediocrity. As one source said, many at FSU wanted Fisher's record with Bowden's budget. But Fisher saw Clemson's program expanding, including plans for a $55 million football facility that opened in 2017, and he believed Florida State needed to keep pace.

"He knew if Florida State didn't jump on top of it right away, Clemson would eventually overtake everyone," one Fisher staffer said. "Their administration on down, everyone was in alignment with the vision of the program and totally committed to doing what it takes to make football successful."

This is the concern I have. I don't believe the Miami administration has the money or the interest in overtaking Clemson and competing at that level.
they have the money, but they may not allocate the money to the program, maybe that's what you meant. with a strong AD, they money would be allocated. James isn't a strong AD.

Advertisement
Goes to show that FSU is going to be in that hole foe the foreseeable future. Six years of rot isn’t going to be fixed anytime soon by a guy with no background or history in rebuilding programs.

Why do we have pvssified fans who act like we "need" F$U to be good?

I would much more prefer OTHER teams in the ACC to become better programs.

I have no problem with F$U finishing dead last in the ACC every year.
I disagree..the FSU Miami rivalry games from 2000-2005 (I’d even add 06 both were top 15 teams in the matchup) were huge reasons I fell in love with Miami. Those big time games were just played differently especially when both teams were respected nationally...we don’t need them per se, but the matchup is always better when it has national implications.

No lie; this read as a mirror of what has taken place here.

1. A coach who flirted with a seemingly endless string of deep-pocketed suitors. No. (The only flirt was Golden with PSU, and we wanted him to leave)
2. A contentious power struggle among the program's leadership. Maybe.
3. Demands for bigger and better facilities stressing an already tight budget. Yes
4. A pervasive attitude of entitlement within the locker room. Yes
5. Declining academic performance. And a string of high-profile, off-field trouble that bruised the program's reputation. No & No.

Miami's problems haven't been nearly as bad as FSUs and they are quite different.

Miami's biggest issue by far is bad HCs (Jimbo landed at a top P5, none of our former HCs even coached P5 again). The second major issue is lack of bags. FSU had both a championship winning coach this decade and still has bags. I don't think there is that much in common between the decline of the programs.

Also, the AD not letting Fisher start a foundation for his own sick kid was a douche move. I don't think Flake James is that callous.

Last edited:
Advertisement
they have the money, but they may not allocate the money to the program, maybe that's what you meant. with a strong AD, they money would be allocated. James isn't a strong AD.

Do we though? I do not believe that we have the resources to compete with Bama, Clemson, OSU, and various SEC schools.

I disagree..the FSU Miami rivalry games from 2000-2005 (I’d even add 06 both were top 15 teams in the matchup) were huge reasons I fell in love with Miami. Those big time games were just played differently especially when both teams were respected nationally...we don’t need them per se, but the matchup is always better when it has national implications.

If all those games had taken place against a **** good Clemson team, you still would have fallen in love with Miami.

I know we hate Florida State, but seeing them so terrible isn’t good for us either.

1. Makes the rivalry game mean nothing

2. Kids that used to go to FSU are now going to the SEC. That continues to build the SEC’s allure as the hands down best conference.

3. Along with point #2, the ACC now only has Clemson as a national team making it look like a weak conference.

A decent FSU is good for a good Miami team.
***** them

If all those games had taken place against a **** good Clemson team, you still would have fallen in love with Miami.

Maybe, but we don't play Clemson every year. If FSU is down, what's the marquee game that the head coach sells recruits on? "Come to Miami so we can beat . . . UNC?"

Advertisement

The misinformation needs to stop.

There is no "allocation" of money.

If Beta Blake was a decent AD, he would be able to fund-raise with the best of them.

Funds for facilities come from CAPITAL campaigns, not operating revenue. Most, if not all, of the athletic scholarships are endowed.

Stop hallucinating about Miami (or any university) "allocating" money to the Athletic Department. It doesn't work that way.

Keep Digging! @FSU

digging jared leto GIF by NETFLIX

Advertisement
Yes. I’m not saying it’s the only reason but it was a big part of games I vividly remember. Includes The comeback vs UF..NeB beat down..comeback vs Lville etc etc. the lead up to those FSU games in the early 2000s was something else since it’s a rivalry

Advertisement
Maybe, but we don't play Clemson every year. If FSU is down, what's the marquee game that the head coach sells recruits on? "Come to Miami so we can beat . . . UNC?"

Stop being soft and dopey.

Does UNC need to tell recruits "we define ourselves by beating NC State"?

Whether our "historical rival" is good or not is not the definition of our program. Whether we win all of our games is the definition of our program.

Besides our next-most-frequent rival is Virginia Tech. A long-standing independent before joining the Big East. It may not be as **** as F$U, but I'm still not compelled to pine away for F$U to "get better, like in the olden days".

F$U should be a cautionary tale that causes Beta Blake to wake up in a cold sweat in the middle of the night, and motivates him to do more when he goes to work each day.

Miami is a private school. Smallish, too, btw. FSU and Clemson are public universities. This affects everything. Look at USC west. They are in a similar situation.

Does Clemson need South Carolina to be good?
Does Ohio's Taint need Pichigan to be good?
Does Oklahoma need Texas to be good?
Do Alabaga or Barn need each other to be good?

Jesus Christ, some of you are weird.
I’m certainly not saying we need them to be good. But certainly more gratifying to beat them when they are respectable. And you can’t deny that beating a well respected ranked team (especially a rival) certainly helps your own national perception

Advertisement
Back