ESPN FPI rankings have Duke favored

I don't think everyone is quite comfortable with Richt's play calling - as last year we lost four in a row, and I was throwing stuff at the TV. Good thing my wife hides my pistols before UM games.

Everyone is going to come to play against UM. A fact.

This year, Richt has hopefully wire-brushed off some of the rust, and this year we have a QB that can actually move his feet.

We certainly need to fear and prepare for every game. I didn't see a lot of enthusiasm nor speed in our one and only game, so hopefully, that was a fluke.

Prepare for every game? Absolutely.
Take every opponent serious? I agree wholeheartedly.
Have a healthy skepticism for Richt's admittedly rusty playcalling? By all means.
But fear every game?!? No ******* way. That's a loser's mentality. I seriously hope (and expect) none of our players or coaches ever walks into a game "fearing" anything... other than Shaq or Amari fearing they may murder someone on the field.

Fear is a loser's mentality?

Fear is what focuses your attention, gets your blood flowing, peaks your senses and ensures you don't get careless. Fear is what maintains Walt Grimsley's First Rule of Boulschitting: Never start believing your own boulschitt.

We just saw "the best defense ever" at OSU get their asses kicked, as they went in believing that boulschitt. You can't name any major program that's not been ambushed and beaten by a minor, inferior team - due entirely to their overconfidence.

The fear of possibly losing should be a hateful thought - and thus require your very best efforts.

I stand by my words.

Advertisement
If you want to point to a game that is under the radar but may show if we are really ready to take the next step it may be the Duke game. ESPN FPI rankings have Duke favored up there. This reminds me of the Cincinnati game 2 years ago the week before FSU, just like this year. We went in to Cincy and lost 34-23. We need to beat a good Duke team up there or this may turn into another "Miami's not back yet" year quickly.

Miami 2017 FPI - Hurricanes - ESPNhttp://www.espn.com/college-football/team/fpi?id=2390&year=2017
View attachment 50044

Couldn't have said it any better

If you want to point to a game that is under the radar but may show if we are really ready to take the next step it may be the Duke game. ESPN FPI rankings have Duke favored up there. This reminds me of the Cincinnati game 2 years ago the week before FSU, just like this year. We went in to Cincy and lost 34-23. We need to beat a good Duke team up there or this may turn into another "Miami's not back yet" year quickly.

Miami 2017 FPI - Hurricanes - ESPNhttp://www.espn.com/college-football/team/fpi?id=2390&year=2017

giphy.gif

It's not really "under the radar" if espn is saying we lose.

I don't think everyone is quite comfortable with Richt's play calling - as last year we lost four in a row, and I was throwing stuff at the TV. Good thing my wife hides my pistols before UM games.

Everyone is going to come to play against UM. A fact.

This year, Richt has hopefully wire-brushed off some of the rust, and this year we have a QB that can actually move his feet.

We certainly need to fear and prepare for every game. I didn't see a lot of enthusiasm nor speed in our one and only game, so hopefully, that was a fluke.

Prepare for every game? Absolutely.
Take every opponent serious? I agree wholeheartedly.
Have a healthy skepticism for Richt's admittedly rusty playcalling? By all means.
But fear every game?!? No ******* way. That's a loser's mentality. I seriously hope (and expect) none of our players or coaches ever walks into a game "fearing" anything... other than Shaq or Amari fearing they may murder someone on the field.

Fear is a loser's mentality?

Fear is what focuses your attention, gets your blood flowing, peaks your senses and ensures you don't get careless. Fear is what maintains Walt Grimsley's First Rule of Boulschitting: Never start believing your own boulschitt.

We just saw "the best defense ever" at OSU get their asses kicked, as they went in believing that boulschitt. You can't name any major program that's not been ambushed and beaten by a minor, inferior team - due entirely to their overconfidence.

The fear of possibly losing should be a hateful thought - and thus require your very best efforts.

I stand by my words.

If what you are talking about (and I think you are) is a healthy fear of failure, generally, then I can understand and appreciate that.

But a more pronounced fear clouds judgment. And football is a much more cerebral game than people credit it. The CB who fears the speed of the WR he's covering will play further off, giving the offense an advantage to exploit. The LB who fears the power of a RB lowers his head early and misses the tackle. The DL who fears the mobility of the QB hesitates in his pass rush, allowing the QB extra time to make the throw. The QB who fear the pass rush gets rid of the ball to early and fails to throw an accurate pass. The WR who fears the headhunting safety turns his head away from the ball and fails to make the catch. That sort of fear is not powerful, it's crippling.

Advertisement
Mighty Duke tied with Baylor, 7-7. The same Baylor that lost to Liberty. Dukes RT just got bull dosed by Baylors 5'10'' LB giving up a sack.

Fear is not a word any team should have in their vocabulary. As for ESPN thinking we only have a 46% chance of beating Duke there, well that's their opinion. Not saying I agree, but I am saying it could be a trap game coming the week prior to FSU. Duke may not be a top 10 class team, but IMO, we aren't there yet either, so.

I expect the Duke game to be a little like last season's. It may be close for a couple quarters but they will have much trouble covering all our weapons for 4 quarters.
We should roll.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back