ESPN 2001 Canes Megathread - David Hale/ESPN article on 2001 Canes

scrantoncane

Sophomore
Advertisement
Thanks for sharing OP, I still remember waiting in line outside the Rose Bowl and seeing National Guard troops with M16's at the gate when we entered (9/11 precaution), the rest of the game was a wonderful blur.

Also, hoping we stop listening to:
"CB Mike Rumph
When Butch left, we were kinda stuck, and I remember we all went upstairs to talk to Mr. Dee, myself, Bryant McKinnie, Ed Reed, Ken Dorsey and a couple more guys. There was a rumor that we were going to get that coach from Wisconsin, Barry Alvarez, and we were like, "We don't want him. We want somebody from in-house who knows us, and that's Coach Coker." They listened to us."

cant believe its been 20 years man
not a single kid in hs was alive to see them
its more of a myth/legend than anything
like me hearing about the 4 horsemen of notre dame growing up

has any team every come back after 20 years of irrelevancy?

Advertisement
Just perused this and it’s a pretty well done story. Going to go through the whole thing after work.

I know we’re tired of celebrating the past I. Light of how much we suck now, but it is the 20th anniversary of our greatest team, and the sport’s as well.

Not exactly 20 years...but Alabama did have a 30 year span of winning only 1 Natty. They won in 1979 <12 years> 1992 <16 years> 2009

Also, depends on what you mean by irrelevant. We were in a NY6 bowl just 3 seasons ago. Before that, 2003 was the last year that we finished ranked in the top 10.

Advertisement
Shout out to Disney doing everything they can to save this football program. **** they would probably offer our players NIL deals if it wasn’t a conflict of interest.

Kirk H. This. The million ridiculous “is the U back” tv segments on espn. 👌🏾👌🏾👌🏾

Advertisement

Well if Jobe was still in high school he would have been but your point stands

I found it interesting how Butch observed and analyzed Ed Reed - looking at the little things Ed was doing - not what today we'd call his 'star' ratings.

Best talent evaluator and skill developer UM ever had. Put together the team, put together a great group of coaches.

20 ******* years.
Angry Denzel Washington GIF

Advertisement
Again!? They know that anything even close to this brings ratings. Hopefully this new commitment is real!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back