Erik Swoope

Sounds like his interest in football is with NFL, not UM football.

I wish the young man luck but, honestly, don't give a sht.

Advertisement
Dude is a physical beast. If he found himself a pair of hands, he would do wonders on the football field as a WR. Until then, we can only speculate.

"I spoke with Jimmy," Swoope said. "He tried to see where my head was, gave me a lot of food for thought to see what I thought about the opportunity to play football and then just told me enjoy the moment, the opportunity."

Swoope says he first thought about a football future when hoops coach Jim Larranaga spoke to him about it a day after the team lost in the ACC Tournament.

"He said he got wind of a potential NFL tryout and would I be interested," Swoope said. "I thanked him for the information and took a week to think do I even want to give this an opportunity? I'd never even played, had only done footwork drills in high school because my brother tried to play in college."

After thinking it over Swoope decided to give football a try. He began working out with his brother and for the past week has caught passes and worked on Pro Day drills.

"I started preparing myself last Thursday," Swoope said. "I got to work out a little on the field to get used to being in cleats and catching the ball."

He threw with Ryan Williams once last week, and the plan was for Williams to throw him passes today.

But with Williams tearing his ACL it was Stephen Morris that threw to Swoope.

"I was really thankful he agreed to help me out," Swoope said. "Today was the first time I caught a pass from Stephen and I didn't drop a ball. Every passing related matter I didn't drop a single pass, which was exciting."

Swoope says the only testing result from today that he knows is his reps of 225 pounds in the bench press - the economics major with a 3.2 GPA did 14 reps.

"The Broncos, they said my numbers looked good, just the key is that I need to learn about football, the whole game of football," Swoope said.

Swoope says he'll continue honing his football skills until the NFL Draft and then see what happens. He hopes to be picked up as a free agent; being drafted with no football background is highly unlikely.

"A lot of it will come down to how much ground I gain between now and the draft," Swoope said. "I need to do my part. I have my fingers crossed and hope what I did today will keep their interest."

Swoope says he hasn't heard from any other NFL teams.

If he isn't picked up by an NFL team he has two options - he could play basketball
overseas and says a team has already shown a lot of interest, or he could play football for the Hurricanes this coming season. He isn't ruling out the latter.

"I really have no idea," Swoope said. "I'm just trying to assess what my next step may be."

Swoope says if he does play football it would likely be at tight end "but there's a decent chance I may be a wide receiver."

Hoops teammate Raphael Akpejiori has already made the decision to play football for UM next season.

"He, just like me, has a lot to learn," Swoope said.

https://miami.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1630139
So he's just going straight to the NFL without playing a down of football?

"I spoke with Jimmy," Swoope said. "He tried to see where my head was, gave me a lot of food for thought to see what I thought about the opportunity to play football and then just told me enjoy the moment, the opportunity."

Swoope says he first thought about a football future when hoops coach Jim Larranaga spoke to him about it a day after the team lost in the ACC Tournament.

"He said he got wind of a potential NFL tryout and would I be interested," Swoope said. "I thanked him for the information and took a week to think do I even want to give this an opportunity? I'd never even played, had only done footwork drills in high school because my brother tried to play in college."

After thinking it over Swoope decided to give football a try. He began working out with his brother and for the past week has caught passes and worked on Pro Day drills.

"I started preparing myself last Thursday," Swoope said. "I got to work out a little on the field to get used to being in cleats and catching the ball."

He threw with Ryan Williams once last week, and the plan was for Williams to throw him passes today.

But with Williams tearing his ACL it was Stephen Morris that threw to Swoope.

"I was really thankful he agreed to help me out," Swoope said. "Today was the first time I caught a pass from Stephen and I didn't drop a ball. Every passing related matter I didn't drop a single pass, which was exciting."

Swoope says the only testing result from today that he knows is his reps of 225 pounds in the bench press - the economics major with a 3.2 GPA did 14 reps.

"The Broncos, they said my numbers looked good, just the key is that I need to learn about football, the whole game of football," Swoope said.

Swoope says he'll continue honing his football skills until the NFL Draft and then see what happens. He hopes to be picked up as a free agent; being drafted with no football background is highly unlikely.

"A lot of it will come down to how much ground I gain between now and the draft," Swoope said. "I need to do my part. I have my fingers crossed and hope what I did today will keep their interest."

Swoope says he hasn't heard from any other NFL teams.

If he isn't picked up by an NFL team he has two options - he could play basketball
overseas and says a team has already shown a lot of interest, or he could play football for the Hurricanes this coming season. He isn't ruling out the latter.

"I really have no idea," Swoope said. "I'm just trying to assess what my next step may be."

Swoope says if he does play football it would likely be at tight end "but there's a decent chance I may be a wide receiver."

Hoops teammate Raphael Akpejiori has already made the decision to play football for UM next season.

"He, just like me, has a lot to learn," Swoope said.

https://miami.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1630139
So he's just going straight to the NFL without playing a down of football?

worked for tebow for about 2 years

Advertisement
He is a better athlete than Jimmy, but I wasnt comparing them as football prospects

What Graham has turned into was a perfect storm.

Also people are just flat out lying about Graham as a bball player. He wasnt good either and Swoope is the better FT shooter. He shot 67 percent this year. Grahams best year was 58

Also Swoope isnt 6'5

Yeah, I watched Graham his whole career. He was not a particularly good basketball player. He provided a lot of energy and some blocks on defense, but also was a foul machine, and a liability on offense.

[video=youtube;FONN-0uoTHI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FONN-0uoTHI[/video]

Advertisement
is it possible that the top 2 players during the Shannon era were brought in by Haith?

Advertisement
Back