Erik Swoope

Who is Erik Swoope?
Was a Senior on the basketball team. Not highly productive, but his athleticism is off the Charts!
Yea, kid is beast. Great energy. Very physical.

1.gif

1.gif

1.gif

Advertisement
Question: does he lose his eligibility by working out with Denver? So, if they tell him "kid, we think you have talent and raw tools, but you haven't played any football" he couldn't come out for us this fall and play? Anyone know?

Good question.

i'm not sure. NFL scouts can show up to practices, so he might just be doing some type of individual practice with an NFL scout there. again, i don't know the situation but i don't think this would cause issues for him playing on Saturdays next year if he decided he wanted to.

greg paulus worked out for some nfl teams after duke and before he went to syracuse. don't think it makes swoope ineligible.

Advertisement
Question: does he lose his eligibility by working out with Denver? So, if they tell him "kid, we think you have talent and raw tools, but you haven't played any football" he couldn't come out for us this fall and play? Anyone know?

Good question.

I think Greg Paulus from Duke worked out for the Packers after the tournament his senior year, then transferred to Syracuse so he could play QB after getting feedback.

he avg 2 points a game over his career at Miami playing BB he was a 50% free throw shooter .......6.5 220......

Please no comparing to a Pro bowl Nfl Jimmy G...Jimmy was 6.8 260...and could actually play BB too

Do we really need a project...I am sure he is not getting playing time or Clive or Standish no less Beau...

he avg 2 points a game over his career at Miami playing BB he was a 50% free throw shooter .......6.5 220......

Please no comparing to a Pro bowl Nfl Jimmy G...Jimmy was 6.8 260...and could actually play BB too

Do we really need a project...I am sure he is not getting playing time or Clive or Standish no less Beau...

fortunately for our football program, it doesn't matter how good either one was at basketball. i would put my money on Swoope being a better overall athlete than Graham. who really cares what his FT shooting is like? can you explain to me how/why that should make any difference on his performance on a football field?

Advertisement

fortunately for our football program, it doesn't matter how good either one was at basketball. i would put my money on Swoope being a better overall athlete than Graham. who really cares what his FT shooting is like? can you explain to me how/why that should make any difference on his performance on a football field?

I just keep hearing he is a better athlete than JG....that is a bold statement after JG wowed scouts for the NFL

Lets all hope you are correct...

Anybody have access to canesport?

https://miami.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?sid=903&script=/content.asp&cid=1630139

Dunking basketballs and blocking shots. That's what UM senior Erik Swoope knows really well. Football? Not so much. "I've actually never played football a day in my life," Swoope said. But he got a tryout with the Denver Broncos on Greentree Practice Field today and isn't ruling out potentially playing football for UM either. Don't miss this. Read on.

Actually with his build I think Swoope is physically better suited at linebacker than tight end. But he would have to be a very quick study to learn the position in time to be an effective player. If he wants to walk on though, it wouldn't hurt anything.

People who are comparing him to Jimmy.

Pretty equal in terms of athleticism. JG was taller and more muscular but ES at 6'5 220/225 is no slouch.

JG had played (I believe) a little football early on in HS. No idea about ES.

Regardless, ES should start learning the routes, catching passes with pads on and some plays. It can't hurt.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I know this horse is dead, but I'm going to beat it anyway...always take more jumbo athletes and find roles for them.

I just keep hearing he is a better athlete than JG....that is a bold statement after JG wowed scouts for the NFL

Lets all hope you are correct...

More EXPLOSIVE athlete than jimmy, but the margin isn't very big. I've watched both play multiple times, and thats JMO. Jimmy was/is bigger and more physical and he did test very well at the combine (4.56 40, 38.5in vert, etc). This has nothing to do with their football skills because clearly Swope has never played a down of football, so there is nothing to compare in that regard.

Can we put this to rest tho, Jimmy Graham is not 6'8", everyone loves to inflate these numbers, he was measure at 6'6"1/4 at the combine. Still very big, but not 6'8"

I've said it for a long time. More players like Swope with his build and athleticism need to get into football sooner, when its clear there is no future for them in basketball. Those 6'5"-6'8" guys playing PF in college that don't project well to the next level (overseas included), would be huge assets in football.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Sorry for the 6.8 ref...I usually do my homework before posting....UM is who I went with since Swoope only has stats on Ums site...MY BAD

Jimmy Graham CBS Thread

Jimmy Graham (twitter: @TheJimmyGraham)

Position: TE
Height: 6-7 Weight: 260 lbs.

NOLO SAINTS SITE

Height:
6-7
Weight:
College:
Miami (Fla.)
Hometown:
Goldsboro, N.C.
Experience:

NFL

immy Graham #80 TE

New Orleans Saints | Official Team Site

Height: 6-7 Weight: 265 Age: 27

Born: 11/24/1986 Goldsboro , NC

College: Miami (Fla.)

Experience: 5th season

High School: Charis Prep [Goldsboro, NC]

University of Miami site

#80 Jimmy Graham
Position: Tight End
Height: 6'8"
Weight: 260
Year: Senior
Hometown: Goldsboro, N.C.
High School: Charis Prep

His older brother is a friend of one of my friends. I've met him a few times. The dude works in the Athletic Department and I believe he was a LB at a small school so it definitely is not a surprise.

"I spoke with Jimmy," Swoope said. "He tried to see where my head was, gave me a lot of food for thought to see what I thought about the opportunity to play football and then just told me enjoy the moment, the opportunity."

Swoope says he first thought about a football future when hoops coach Jim Larranaga spoke to him about it a day after the team lost in the ACC Tournament.

"He said he got wind of a potential NFL tryout and would I be interested," Swoope said. "I thanked him for the information and took a week to think do I even want to give this an opportunity? I'd never even played, had only done footwork drills in high school because my brother tried to play in college."

After thinking it over Swoope decided to give football a try. He began working out with his brother and for the past week has caught passes and worked on Pro Day drills.

"I started preparing myself last Thursday," Swoope said. "I got to work out a little on the field to get used to being in cleats and catching the ball."

He threw with Ryan Williams once last week, and the plan was for Williams to throw him passes today.

But with Williams tearing his ACL it was Stephen Morris that threw to Swoope.

"I was really thankful he agreed to help me out," Swoope said. "Today was the first time I caught a pass from Stephen and I didn't drop a ball. Every passing related matter I didn't drop a single pass, which was exciting."

Swoope says the only testing result from today that he knows is his reps of 225 pounds in the bench press - the economics major with a 3.2 GPA did 14 reps.

"The Broncos, they said my numbers looked good, just the key is that I need to learn about football, the whole game of football," Swoope said.

Swoope says he'll continue honing his football skills until the NFL Draft and then see what happens. He hopes to be picked up as a free agent; being drafted with no football background is highly unlikely.

"A lot of it will come down to how much ground I gain between now and the draft," Swoope said. "I need to do my part. I have my fingers crossed and hope what I did today will keep their interest."

Swoope says he hasn't heard from any other NFL teams.

If he isn't picked up by an NFL team he has two options - he could play basketball
overseas and says a team has already shown a lot of interest, or he could play football for the Hurricanes this coming season. He isn't ruling out the latter.

"I really have no idea," Swoope said. "I'm just trying to assess what my next step may be."

Swoope says if he does play football it would likely be at tight end "but there's a decent chance I may be a wide receiver."

Hoops teammate Raphael Akpejiori has already made the decision to play football for UM next season.

"He, just like me, has a lot to learn," Swoope said.

https://miami.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1630139

He is a better athlete than Jimmy, but I wasnt comparing them as football prospects

What Graham has turned into was a perfect storm.

Also people are just flat out lying about Graham as a bball player. He wasnt good either and Swoope is the better FT shooter. He shot 67 percent this year. Grahams best year was 58

Also Swoope isnt 6'5

Advertisement
Back