Ereck Flowers

Told ya so.

Watching Ereck Flowers in college vs. Taylor Decker, for example, is like night and day in terms of pass set fundamentals. And nothing has changed in the NFL in either case.

That's what happens when Decker started training w LeCharles Bentley at his increasingly famous OL Academy in AZ immediately after going pro and Flowers did whatever he did. Decker had the OSU connection w Bentley as his in. I know Bentley is extremely selective about who he works with, you can read the ESPN article on his academy. I know he trains Giants C Weston Richburg, so maybe Flowers could join, but it depends if Bentley would take him. Doesn't currently train any Canes that I know of.

Some of his other clients include Vikings LG Alex Boone, Lions G Larry Warford, Rams LT Greg Robinson, Bears RG Kyle Long-RT Bobby Massie, now former OSU C Pat Eiflen, Cardinals RT D.J. Humphries, Jaguars G Patrick Omameh, and a few others. Most have improved under him.

Some coach is gonna hire him to coach OL and that coach will be rewarded very handsomely.

I just don't see it. I've actually wondered that several times but I can't see him leaving his own creation to coach a single group of players, no matter where it is. He already does plenty of coaching on the side. He was one of the primary OL coaches at The Opening and is also out in Nashville this week for the AFCA Annual Convention where he had a booth/demo with Power Lift. I can't imagine he's not already living out his dream every day. He really is the best out there imo. I follow his posts daily and I can't get enough, I've even purchased his personally developed/invented OL-specific equipment (just the Kick Board and Strike Stick so far), to try out and train the kids at the hs I coach at. I was amazed by the results the kids had in a very short amount of time.

Advertisement
As a Giants fan it's nothing but the truth that Flowers has been terrible in his first two years. This year he was top of the league in false starts. If he's not getting false starts then he's getting blown by the defense and barely giving effort at blocking. We reached for him at #9 overall when most scouts had him going 3rd-4th round. To make it worse an obvious hole in on our team has been at the running back position, and we took Flowers a pick before the Rams took Todd Gurley. As a Canes fan I'm hoping he gets better but he just looks out of position.

Flowers is not quick enough to play Left Tackle. I've been saying it for years now. He's just can't deal with speed rushers.

Guard isn't an option due to his height, so the only position left is Right Tackle. I think he can be really good there if he gets his technique down.

I think RT may also be the position he finishes at, but his height won't prevent him from playing G. Alex Boone is 6'8"... It's all about technique and flexibility. L.B. is the first person to rip on the combine for height/arm length. He says arm length is practically a myth and is a joke that it is actual a legit measurable. The further your arms are away from your body, the easier they are to shed and the more you pull away from your center of gravity and destroy your ability to anchor. L.B. teaches to win with the feet first and play with an elbow bend, which anotomically speaking gives you much great force and power due to muscle activation and other physics related things that I can't explain for myself. Look up his video blogs some time if you're really interested in learning about it. I coach DBs and ever since I learned his stuff I only want to coach OL now. If there is someone out there that can coach DBs like L.B. can coach OL, I wanna meet em. I know they're out there but since I haven't been exposed to it, I can offer way more as an OL coach than a DBs coach.

As a Giants fan it's nothing but the truth that Flowers has been terrible in his first two years. This year he was top of the league in false starts. If he's not getting false starts then he's getting blown by the defense and barely giving effort at blocking. We reached for him at #9 overall when most scouts had him going 3rd-4th round. To make it worse an obvious hole in on our team has been at the running back position, and we took Flowers a pick before the Rams took Todd Gurley. As a Canes fan I'm hoping he gets better but he just looks out of position.

At least he isn't leading the league in penalties like Greg Robinson is for my Rams. I'd take a FS over holding any day. Plus, take my word for it, it's infinitely more frustrating to watch a guy physically-but probably not mentally-capable struggle vs the other way around lol. LeCharles Bentley has only added to my frustration by singling out GR for his insane God given abilities multiple times in referencing players born with stuff others can't be taught. So you should feel lucky haha

Ok that's bs. No one had him that low. He was always expected to be a 1st round pick. Just maybe not a top 10 pick.

Advertisement
That's what happens when Decker started training w LeCharles Bentley at his increasingly famous OL Academy in AZ immediately after going pro and Flowers did whatever he did. Decker had the OSU connection w Bentley as his in. I know Bentley is extremely selective about who he works with, you can read the ESPN article on his academy. I know he trains Giants C Weston Richburg, so maybe Flowers could join, but it depends if Bentley would take him. Doesn't currently train any Canes that I know of.

Some of his other clients include Vikings LG Alex Boone, Titans G Chance Warmack, Lions G Larry Warford, Rams LT Greg Robinson, Bears RG Kyle Long-RT Bobby Massie, now former OSU C Pat Eiflen, former Michigan C Kyle Kalis, Cardinals RT D.J. Humphries, Jaguars G Patrick Omameh, and a few others. Most have improved under him.

Flowers is not a fit with Bentley and the rest of that group. I'll leave it at that. I was just listening to the recent episode of the Block Em Up podcast with Geoff Schwartz (Flowers' former linemate) and he subtly bashed Flowers too.

Another thing I'm seeing ITT that irritates me is the common problem of football fans assuming a lineman who has deficiencies can be seamlessly moved to other positions. This might be the #1 myth in football, ahead of the old "running the ball causes winning because there's a correlation" fallacy. Flowers' issues won't go away whether he's inside at guard or flipping to RT. The list of guys who successfully moved from LT to RT is very small. When you've trained your whole life to have your stance, footwork and landmarks on the left side that muscle memory and experience can't be flipped in an instant. Even if it did you would still have to contend with the likes of Von Miller, Cam Wake, Vic Beasley, etc. There's no easy way out for avoiding edge rushers unless you're getting consistent help with chips and double teams and slide protection and the like.

Last edited:
I just don't see it. I've actually wondered that several times but I can't see him leaving his own creation to coach a single group of players, no matter where it is. He already does plenty of coaching on the side. He was one of the primary OL coaches at The Opening and is also out in Nashville this week for the AFCA Annual Convention where he had a booth/demo with Power Lift. I can't imagine he's not already living out his dream every day. He really is the best out there imo. I follow his posts daily and I can't get enough, I've even purchased his personally developed/invented OL-specific equipment (just the Kick Board and Strike Stick so far), to try out and train the kids at the hs I coach at. I was amazed by the results the kids had in a very short amount of time.

I agree he's not joining any NFL team. He's a pioneer and he genuinely wants to help advance the OL position in every way possible and help the individuals who play it grow.

But really I quoted this post to say that what you're doing from a learning and teaching perspective is awesome. Much respect.

I agree he's not joining any NFL team. He's a pioneer and he genuinely wants to help advance the OL position in every way possible and help the individuals who play it grow.

But really I quoted this post to say that what you're doing from a learning and teaching perspective is awesome. Much respect.

Thank you, I really appreciate that.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back