Equaling last year's class

First, I just want to make it clear this is not a negative thread. Not complaining, not bashing, not saying the 2019 class will be a failure in any way, shape, or form.

I also fully realize it's mid June, the early signing period is 6 months away, NSD is almost 8 months out. A LOT can and will change.

With that being said, I ***** around with the 247 class calculator a lot as I adjust who I think does and does not end up in this class. And I really just don't see how we can equal last year's final number, although as I said yes a lot can change. Do any of you mess with this also and see where you think we might end up?

Last year we finished 8th in the composite rankings, with 280 points coming from 23 signees.

Right now, we are 7th, with 200 points coming from 14 commits. I think RIGHT THIS minute, best case scenario and assuming 25 signees, we can get to about 275ish points. And that's with adding MJJr, McIntosh, Dunmore (longshot), Zipperer (toss-up at best), Neal, Bogle, Holley, Ingraham, Couch, Stevenson, Richards. 275 points will put us probably around 10th or so in the final rankings. I just think that a lot of people on the boards are under the impression a Top 10 class is a mortal lock, and I really don't think it is. THIS DOESN'T MEAN IT'S A FAILURE. I am a huge star ***** and I believe it's absolute fact that you must recruit Top 10 classes or higher to win National Championships. But Clemson is usually right around this number, and they're loaded. You don't need to be in the Top 3, but you need to be at least in the Top 12 or so at worst every single year with the occasional Top 6-8 class.

What do you guys think? If we sign 25 kids, with the ones I listed above being the additions, and we wind up say 12th in the composite, do you think that's acceptable or do you think there will be widespread crying on the site if that's where we sit in February?

Advertisement
If we sign the guys you listed I'm satisfied regardless of ranking. **** good class.

Don't forget a lot of our guys are still severely underrated. Whether or not these "recruiting sites" adjust these rankings really doesn't matter to me. Brooks, Crowley, brownlee etc are ballers with a ton of upside.

Last edited:
This class will likely not rank as high as last years and that's okay. It is early in the process, and rankings for our current and future commits will likely change (Brownlee, Munoz, Brooks, Crowley Williams should all get bumps in the Fall). I agree with your list other than Dunmore (not happening) and that would give us 14 4*/5* guys, the exact same as last year. If we sign around 14 blue chips a year, we will have championship-caliber depth at most (if not all) positions.

The difference between this year and last is that most of the big fish are still uncommitted.

This class will likely not rank as high as last years and that's okay. It is early in the process, and rankings for our current and future commits will likely change (Brownlee, Munoz, Brooks, Crowley Williams should all get bumps in the Fall). I agree with your list other than Dunmore (not happening) and that would give us 14 4*/5* guys, the exact same as last year. If we sign around 14 blue chips a year, we will have championship-caliber depth at most (if not all) positions.

The difference between this year and last is that most of the big fish are still uncommitted.

Agree on Dunmore 1000%. This was more of just kind of a best case scenario total class....for example drop Dunmore but add Tyler Davis, they're around the same overall ranking so the class ranking would be the same. I didn't mean for that to be my mock, as I don't expect Zipperer either. Just saying that, barring something insanely unlikely like Akeem Dent flipping or Trey Sanders coming, I think somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-12 overall is probably the ceiling for this class.

you Aren’t wrong or negative in any way. We should aim for a top 10 every year and this year idk if that seems likely.

Advertisement
Agree with all the posts above, but I'm just going to point out the obvious... A lot can change with an 11-12 win season. There isn't a game on our regular season schedule that we shouldn't win.

This class is sorely missing a "Leader" unlike the past few classes. We need an elite Local guy to commit and lead the way.

If stevenson, neal, richards annd bogle are in the class as you predicted above then I don't care who else we get lol

Advertisement
They would add another OL (4) and another DE or 2 (3-4) . But everything else that looks pretty accurate lol

Agree with all the posts above, but I'm just going to point out the obvious... A lot can change with an 11-12 win season. There isn't a game on our regular season schedule that we shouldn't win.

Absolutely. And of course this is a hypothetical conversation, but even if we do go 11-1 or even 12-0 this year, I just don't see some windfall of elite recruits coming that would push the class into the Top 5 conversation. We're not even at the discussion table for enough kids for that to happen. Who are the 5 star kids who we even have a 0.0001% chance with, even with a 12 win season? Dent, Sanders....maybe a kid like Darnell Wright?

Anyway, kind of getting off topic. We'll deal with that "problem" if we get there. I just kind of want to soften the blow for the casual followers of recruiting who I know are going to cry and ***** when we wind up with the #12 class in the country, when that does not warrant any criticism when you look at who the kids are most likely going to be.

Absolutely. And of course this is a hypothetical conversation, but even if we do go 11-1 or even 12-0 this year, I just don't see some windfall of elite recruits coming that would push the class into the Top 5 conversation. We're not even at the discussion table for enough kids for that to happen. Who are the 5 star kids who we even have a 0.0001% chance with, even with a 12 win season? Dent, Sanders....maybe a kid like Darnell Wright?

Anyway, kind of getting off topic. We'll deal with that "problem" if we get there. I just kind of want to soften the blow for the casual followers of recruiting who I know are going to cry and ***** when we wind up with the #12 class in the country, when that does not warrant any criticism when you look at who the kids are most likely going to be.

I don't disagree, odds are we finish around 10-15. But an undefeated regular season would be a big step for guys like dent, sanders, Wright, T. Davis, R. Davis, battle, Ladson, dunmore, zip, Steele. Long shot? Sure. But you give them something to think about when you go undefeated in the regular season for the first time in forever

Keep in mind alot of the undrr the radar 3 star guys we have will get bumps in their score...they may not all gain stars but going from 86's to 88's can make a differnece too

also i think were signing 27

Advertisement
Last year around this time we had a crazy ratio, something like 12 out of 17 commits being espn 300 guys. This year 4 out of 14 are espn 300 guys. That’s a problem and I’ve said that last week. Need to go up in quality on the class if we are trying to get to the top of college football

Last edited:
I think it's kind of early to start projecting where our class will end up. There'll probably be a dozen new rankings that come out and change players' rankings. And I do think a few of our current commits will get bumps this season (Cam Williams, Crowley and for sure Brooks if healthy). At the same time, players will drop.

As it looks right now, we're definitely lacking on the blue chip ratio. You mentioned Clemson being around 12 yearly. Well, what's their player average ranking? I bet it's over a 90 average per player. I think we need a combination of top 12 classes at worst on top of classes that hover around 90 average to get where we want to be.

Last year around this time we had a crazy ratio, something like 13 out of 17 commits being espn 300 guys. This year 4 out of 14 are espn 300 guys. That’s a problem and I’ve said that last week. Need to go up in quality on the class if we are trying to get to the top of college football
There is a few more recruiting evals, I wouldn't sweat the rankings at this moment esp with who we are looking to close with

Advertisement
I think it's kind of early to start projecting where our class will end up. There'll probably be a dozen new rankings that come out and change players' rankings. And I do think a few of our current commits will get bumps this season (Cam Williams, Crowley and for sure Brooks if healthy). At the same time, players will drop.

As it looks right now, we're definitely lacking on the blue chip ratio. You mentioned Clemson being around 12 yearly. Well, what's their player average ranking? I bet it's over a 90 average per player. I think we need a combination of top 12 classes at worst on top of classes that hover around 90 average to get where we want to be.
I was looking at that the other day. That 90 average is to me the key. I think you gotta aim for the highest average possible and not the highest number of recruits. You can be a top 5 class from signing 40 3 stars but then are you really elite?

FYI, I just looked at Clemson's average from 2014-2018 and their average was 90.73

Always thought average rating should be more of a focus when comparing classes. Obviously you have to address your needs, but 25 3* is not better than 15 4*.

Advertisement
Back