"Entitled" South Florida Recruits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
I see this phrase thrown around here a lot, but what exactly is it supposed to mean?

Along those same lines, I was just talking to someone very entrenched in the recruiting culture down here and he said, "I hear a lot how players down here act too privileged but I think its the other way around. Great talent shouldnt have to beg for an offer."

Something I've noticed is that there are a lot of kids that are potential back-up options down the line that the staff has yet to get in contact with. What happens when the plan A doesn't come through? It's too late to get in on the race. Miami tried getting Skai Moore last minute this year, but they hadn't talked to him at all for the months leading up to that. Does that make him entitled? Just trying to understand what a lot of you mean.

Advertisement
"Great talent shouldnt have to beg for an offer."

What a crock of ****

So Legif is indirectly calling people out? Provide examples then.

To answer your question, I dont think recruits feel entitled, it is some coaches and/or handlers that have that sense of entitlement. Some recruits over the years may display diva characteristics, but I dont see the entitlement thing.

Advertisement
I see this phrase thrown around here a lot, but what exactly is it supposed to mean?

Along those same lines, I was just talking to someone very entrenched in the recruiting culture down here and he said, "I hear a lot how players down here act too privileged but I think its the other way around. Great talent shouldnt have to beg for an offer."

Something I've noticed is that there are a lot of kids that are potential back-up options down the line that the staff has yet to get in contact with. What happens when the plan A doesn't come through? It's too late to get in on the race. Miami tried getting Skai Moore last minute this year, but they hadn't talked to him at all for the months leading up to that. Does that make him entitled? Just trying to understand what a lot of you mean.

Agree. But everybody on this board is going to attack you for making sense. How dare you.

South Florida kids are no more entitled than any other recruits in the country. They are just much more high profile because they get so much media attention compared to other kids.

So Legif is indirectly calling people out? Provide examples then.

To answer your question, I dont think recruits feel entitled, it is some coaches and/or handlers that have that sense of entitlement. Some recruits over the years may display diva characteristics, but I dont see the entitlement thing.

How am I calling anybody out? I'm asking a legitimate question.

"Great talent shouldnt have to beg for an offer."

What a crock of ****

This times a million...if talent is truly "great".

Sounds like a cope out for a lot of local coaches. I don't think the staff sweats not getting Moore (as an example) one iota this season.

Do we really believe that AG doesn't have his ducks is a row in regards to recruiting?

Sounds like a local coach that thinks his players are better than they actually are.

Advertisement
I agree, I made a comment about a certain db who i will not name only because of fans always building him up and the "rumors" of him unwilling to be versatile for the next level and that wasnt being entitled but being more stubborn

When the **** did anyone call Skai entitled? We're not talking about Skai or players that we came in late on. It's all about the guys who make a mockery of recruiting that we call entitled ***gots. This thread is almost retarded as you saying Broward and Dade are only S Fla.

Can we ease up on the adjective "great"?

Very few recruits can be considered "great". Very few players to be more accurate.

Advertisement
kids say they "deserve" an offer

as opposed to they want to "earn" one

Advertisement
I think the word entitlement gets thrown around when regarding how the prospects down in Florida want to be perceived. Being as how Florida (in particular SFL) is a hotbed for high school football talent, a lot of the kids feel "entitled" to be labeled as a great recruit, someone who every d-1 school should be lining up to offer, just because he plays football in Florida.

I think Moore is a poor example. I dont think anyone criticized him at all. The most common opinion was would have loved for him to pick UM at the end but it was completely understandable that he didnt.

Keith Bryant is a more worthy example

I think the word that is more objective is "great". If a player is truly "great" he won't get an offer? Too many people think they are "great" when they are actually "good".

No punci, his use of the English language is to good for it to be Luke.
Now to the original topic, I think when people say, "entitled", they're talking about those kids with the big offers that use the same old company line, "Miami is my Dream offer", and then leave us hanging out to dry come signing day to sign with the new 'flavor of the month', school! Or better yet, they "commit" to us early on (taking pictures around town throwing up the U, rocking Miami gear, etc.) and then somewhere down the line, they feel that our staff didn't kiss their a$$e$ enough, they decommit. It's like some of our kids think that they are 'entitled' to more than the usual recruitment stuff. Some even think that they are a **** of a lot better than they are. They love playing the game and a good bit of time, we end up holding the bag. That's why AG and Co. have to make last minute offers. They're trying to fill spots that were already supposed to be filled. Maybe entitled is not the right word. Maybe elitist is a better word for what our SOFLA kids have become.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back