Enough scapegoating the assistants

Advertisement
This definitely falls on Richt. The Pruitt situation still scares me about Richt. Pruitt was successful under Jimbo and Saban with no conflict issues at all. I think Pruitt saw the issues with Richt we see now and just couldn't stomach it especially after working for Alphas like Saban and Jimbo.

It's easy to blame the assistants for the horrid OL play and lack of a serviceable QB in year 3. It's especially easy to blame Jon Richt when he obviously only has his job because of nepotism. But if we've learned anything from 17 years of failed/failing coaching staffs at Miami, it's that everything goes to the top. Mark Richt, not Jon, deserves 100% of the blame for the QB failures, and 100% of the blame for the OL failures. Head coaches that are failing and play musical coordinators get fired. Head coaches that are failing and don't play musical coordinators get fired too.
Agreed and yeah applies to Rosier/Perry as well.

I’m not going to trash Malik. Its not his fault he’s not very good. It’s the guy who couldn’t find an appropriate person for the job.

Advertisement
From Richt I'm expecting 9 to 10 wins per year indefinitely. I'm not suggesting firing anybody. I'm suggesting that playing musical coordinators typically doesn't solve problems.
I don’t think richt will be able to maintain 9-10 wins/year here, unless he really kills it in recruiting. I just don’t think defenses are gonna have a problem shutting his O down moving forward.

As far as coordinators go, we don’t need to search for some offensive genius to get to the next level. Considering where we play, and the talent we have, we need solid assistants and an above average OC.

That will get us into position to make a run every now and then.

Are there examples of college head coaches who are failing, revamp their staffs, and then win a championship? I've never heard of it.

Butch Davis did it. Willie Taggart had most success at USF after firing his coordinators. Actially, it would be harder to find head coaches that never fired assistants that won championships.

This thread..... Between Urban, Saban, Dabo, Davis, Pete Carol, etc none of these guys have a problem with firing, moving, demoting, removing assistants who don’t pan out. Yes, you give them a chance to fix the mess, but after a certain time you’ve to to let them go.

And you're just assuming RIcht would? Seems like a pretty big assumption. Also, winning all the time tends to alleviate the "boredom".

Richt said it out of his own mouth.

Advertisement
After Richt was fired following the 2015 season, Georgia opted for the full measure. The Bulldogs hired Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart, a former Georgia safety who was even more schooled in the ways of Saban than Pruitt. “[Smart] needed to educate us,” Georgia thletic director Greg McGarity said, “about what it meant to go big-time.”

He's lacking that Killer Instinct, and needs to be more flexible with his play calling. If you go back to the FSU vs UM 2016 game, the offense had a rhythm in the first half. The RB's were running to the outside, Kaaya was throwing slants, screens and would go vertical from time to time.
He was using the Run to set up the passing game, and now it seems just the opposite.

After Richt was fired following the 2015 season, Georgia opted for the full measure. The Bulldogs hired Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart, a former Georgia safety who was even more schooled in the ways of Saban than Pruitt. “[Smart] needed to educate us,” Georgia thletic director Greg McGarity said, “about what it meant to go big-time.”

He's lacking that Killer Instinct, and needs to be more flexible with his play calling. If you go back to the FSU vs UM 2016 game, the offense had a rhythm in the first half. The RB's were running to the outside, Kaaya was throwing slants, screens and would go vertical from time to time.
He was using the Run to set up the passing game, and now it seems just the opposite.
Granted, Kaaya was a statue but he was a student of the game, had a decent arm, and was pretty accurate. Richt trusted him to make calls at the line and get the O into a good play.

He now has Rosier that knows the offense but is inaccurate and Perry who has the physical tools, but has a blank space between his ears.

It's easy to blame the assistants for the horrid OL play and lack of a serviceable QB in year 3. It's especially easy to blame Jon Richt when he obviously only has his job because of nepotism. But if we've learned anything from 17 years of failed/failing coaching staffs at Miami, it's that everything goes to the top. Mark Richt, not Jon, deserves 100% of the blame for the QB failures, and 100% of the blame for the OL failures. Head coaches that are failing and play musical coordinators get fired. Head coaches that are failing and don't play musical coordinators get fired too.

I can roll with that.

UM

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back