Ending Season > Going Bowling

With the reports that we are going to see a massive turnover in the roster (24 to 30 kids) transferring out there is really no benefit to getting to the 6th win and going to a bowl game for the extra practices. We know that adjustments will be made to staff. We know that there will be a tremendous youth movement in Year 2 with players that are not on campus yet.

Mario should just focus all efforts on recruiting/transfer portal and securing a top 5 class and not trying to extend the lost season of Year 1 with players/coaches that will not be here.

Advertisement
This isn’t a lost season or a failed season.. it’s year 1 of a rebuild under a real HC. If we beat Pitt to become bowl eligible we need to play the bowl game.
it is a failed season.. there's always learnings of course and hopefully growth that will make not just the players, but more importantly the coaches, better. But this season has been a failure..

i'd take the practices, then bow out of the bowl game :LOL:

Advertisement
This roster needs a bowl game. They need the extra practice. Also, a good time to see who is still working hard and competing.

Even if you're with a skeleton crew as coaches and players leave...those extra practices would help. Beat Pitt and win the bowl game and you're setting yourself up with some momentum going into next year. 7-6 with Pitt and bowl game win would really quiet some narratives, too.

Important game coming up.

In most cases I'd agree with the extra practices scenario. But with the team splintered, and quite possibly the staff as well, I think.Mario's time would be better spent recruiting (high schoolers, his own team, and the portal), and hopefully moving quickly to rectify matters with the staff (OC primarily).

Advertisement
I posted in the Culture Is Not A Buzzword thread, but on another site, a tweet was posted that Manny Navarro’s podcast stated Manny received a text from a player’s parent stating several players don’t want to beat Pitt so they don’t have to go to a bowl game.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This roster needs a bowl game. They need the extra practice. Also, a good time to see who is still working hard and competing.

Even if you're with a skeleton crew as coaches and players leave...those extra practices would help. Beat Pitt and win the bowl game and you're setting yourself up with some momentum going into next year. 7-6 with Pitt and bowl game win would really quiet some narratives, too.

Important game coming up.
I think that’s all fine but the problem is no one believes we could win a bowl game even if we miraculously pull it out against Pitt somehow.

With the reports that we are going to see a massive turnover in the roster (24 to 30 kids) transferring out there is really no benefit to getting to the 6th win and going to a bowl game for the extra practices. We know that adjustments will be made to staff. We know that there will be a tremendous youth movement in Year 2 with players that are not on campus yet.

Mario should just focus all efforts on recruiting/transfer portal and securing a top 5 class and not trying to extend the lost season of Year 1 with players/coaches that will not be here.
I want to beat everyone on our schedule.

Whether we're actually able to beat Pitt on Saturday is another matter entirely.

Advertisement
I posted in the Culture is not a buzzword thread, but on another site, a tweet was posted that Manny Navarro’s podcast stated Manny received a text from a player’s parent stating several players don’t want to beat Pitt so they don’t have to go to a bowl game.
I'd love Cristobal to get his hands on those texts and have a sit down with those players:
Church Pastor GIF by John Crist Comedy

You guys would rather be 5-7 than potentially have a winning season? While FSU/UF go bowling?

You don’t think that might come back to bite us?
No. Randy signed a top 5 class after going 5-7. It's one thing to have an up-and-coming roster that are trending favorably and could use the extra bowl practices/game experience. It's another when everyone wants the season to end as quickly as possible

I think that’s all fine but the problem is no one believes we could win a bowl game even if we miraculously pull it out against Pitt somehow.
It doesn't matter.

If we even make a bowl game, it'd be against some AAC team or some at-large in Birmingham or something. It'll be an embarrassing loss or something to build momentum with.

Advertisement
Back