Empty Yards make D looks worse than actual performance

I mean, I can tell you how this story ends. Do you want to know?
Yes.
Clemson will lay 35-40/450-500 on us. They do it to everyone.

Put it out there and we can revisit this in December.
Let's keep it simple. Give me Clemson, then the rough average ppg/ ypg of those other 4.
Good?

Advertisement
This is a good problem to have I suppose, but scoring back to back TDS on one play is similar to back to back 3 and outs as far as the defense getting some rest. I’ll take any TD we can get but I was a little worried that our defense would get tired because they were on the field so much Again, it’s a good problem to have but still tough for the defense especially early in the season and coming off of a Covid offseason.

BTW, does anyone know what song was playing with 11:15 left in the third quarter? They played it before a kickoff In the stadium I believe.

not really. It was a 14 point game with under 1 minute left in the 3rd. How many yards did they have through 3 quarter? How many did we have?
At that point I believe we had like a 50 yard advantage. However, they ran a ton more plays than we did. We had a sizable ypp advantage.

At that point I believe we had like a 50 yard advantage. However, they ran a ton more plays than we did. We had a sizable ypp advantage.
Two 1 play drives don’t help you to run more plays than your opponent.

Advertisement
we gave up 518 ... can we agree about 130 yards of that was garbage time ... we controlled the game the entire 4th quarter but cunningham and tutu racked up numbers ... also we played alot of young guys ... no excuses, not declaring the defense as great or terrible ... if we talking facts, when the game was in the balance we were solid
we gave up 518 ... can we agree about 130 yards of that was garbage time ... we controlled the game the entire 4th quarter but cunningham and tutu racked up numbers ... also we played alot of young guys ... no excuses, not declaring the defense as great or terrible ... if we talking facts, when the game was in the balance we were solid
And you got to respect Louisville players , the RB Hawkins looks like he going to be A nfl caliber type of player , some of those plays he made something out of nothing and tutu is another big time weapon thay have !

But UNC's QB is better. We of all teams shouldn't underestimate the advantage of having a better QB.
Better passer yes, not better runner. Unc is a similar game either way. They're gonna score points and gain yards, we just gotta score more and contain them as much as possible.

Advertisement
Better passer yes, not better runner. Unc is a similar game either way. They're gonna score points and gain yards, we just gotta score more and contain them as much as possible.
I wasn't talking about our chances against UNC. I like our chances. I was talking about the statement "Louisville weapons are better than UNC". A better QB is worth a lot.

The University of Miami a really weird fan base:
Pussies who think we're going to get boat raced by any hyped team. Then there are those who complain about every good thing the team does.

Are we back? NO! Are they making progress? YES!

Let it happen guys. We sucked for the better part of twenty years and it is proving to be a journey trying to get back to prominence. It's not a flip the switch thing as some of you might expect. And for those who dwell on the negative all of the time and those who assist on living in the recent past, go find another team to hate on. Miserable ********!

Advertisement
It must have been refreshing for the defense to know the game was in hand even if they gave up a score. That’s a first in years for that unit
I saw King and Nesta have a high five after the O scored. You know Nesta is happy. He never did that **** with 15.

Get ready for Diaz to praise the defense this week.

UL had 20 points through the first 50 minutes, we limited explosive plays, were good on 3rd down, forced 3 turnovers, and tackled pretty well. They executed the game plan of keeping everything in front of them and not allowing the UL QB to hurt them on the ground.

They conceded a good bit of yardage merely by sticking to the plan and then playing a bunch of backups at the end. They had little rest between many series because of major busts in UL's defense leading to numerous explosive plays and easy, walk-in TDs by Miami. You didn't see those types of breakdowns from our defense.

The staff knew Miami's offense would score a bunch and were fine with allowing UL to complete shorter passes while keeping Cunningham in the pocket. Those delayed blitzes don't get home but they keep a running QB from escaping the pocket and improvising.

There are still a few questionable schematic moves and tendencies but overall there was probably more good than bad when you consider that our offense was simply not going to put us in a major predicament because of an inability to score.

Advertisement
I just watched the 2nd half again. It wasn't necessarily bad defense that gave up the points but more good offense by Louisville. They got Atwell involved and he did his thing. But the outcome of the game was never in doubt in the second half. I can't believe how many times they let our guys run wide open deep in their secondary in the game. We easily could have scored even more points than we did. It wasn't perfect defensively but it wasn't as bad as the final score made it look.

I'd love someone with more football knowledge than I to weigh in, but I feel like our LBs are playing Green Dog blitz a lot. Those delayed blitzes aren't by design, as such - they see the man they're meant to cover staying in to block and they start rushing the passer.

I don't know who's teaching our LBs (I know who's supposed to be teaching them, Diaz), but they take an age to diagnose plays. It's why they get blocked so easily by OL. They're meant to clean up the mess after our DL knifes through and causes havoc, but they're caught flat footed a lot trying to diagnose where the ball is.

Obviously it's not an easy defence for a LB to play in.

A lot of times the lbs were flowing with the O line and ready to engage but not reading the QB. Louisville offense is tricky to defend. We miss Shaq and Pinkney no doubt. I think in the passing game more than the run although even in the run the guys were slow to react at times. I think they will get better but we got Clemson in three weeks. Need to step it up against FSWho this week and build from there.

It's almost a brand new defense. Baker basically had to start from scratch after 2019 in terms of personnel.

DE:

Roche - DNP
Phillips - DNP
Harvey - played a few snaps
Cam - DNP

DT:

Ford, Silvera, Miller - played regularly
Hunte, Blissett, Holley - a few snaps between them

LB:

McCloud - made 1 start at WLB
Brooks - made 1 start at WLB
Jennings - DNP
Steed - DNP

DB:

Carter, Blades, Hall, Ivey - played regularly

Frierson, Couch, Bolden, Smith - played some but were not counted on each week.

8 starters gone.
Spring was cut short.
Offseason was a challenge.
These players need time.

Advertisement
Back