Official Emory Williams - 2023 QB COMMIT

How many crappy 3*s do we have to sign before we all stop talking ourselves into these kids being future stars? Its been 15 years of this

as noted in the thread. go to the :15 mark in the tape. .....

then we can talk

Last edited:
Advertisement
Hmmm 🤔
1651693347100.png

The difference is our roster not being littered with them anymore. There are always going to be players that outplay their ranking. You want us to just pass on everyone that isn’t ranked 4 or 5 stars?

Agree. It's all about the evals and program fit. Stars help with targeting, but should never drive a decision. Besides, it's still early, and we've seen sophomores and juniors look like future HOFs who peak by their senior year and bust in college. And vice-versa.

If Mario is only pulling in three stars, we should worry a lot. If he's selectively pulling in three stars because he sees more potential in specific flyers/projections than the Wiltfongs, Ivins and Fermans of the world, then I for one trust him over the scouts.

I don't think a QB room with Emory vs Brown is competitive enough for '24, assuming Garcia leaves after starting in '23.

We'd have another one or two QBs in the room at that point though. We'd for sure take a more polished 2024 kid, and likely a portal kid if neither of the others is ready to step in by then.

Advertisement
Agree. It's all about the evals and program fit. Stars help with targeting, but should never drive a decision. Besides, it's still early, and we've seen sophomores and juniors look like future HOFs who peak by their senior year and bust in college. And vice-versa.

If Mario is only pulling in three stars, we should worry a lot. If he's selectively pulling in three stars because he sees more potential in specific flyers/projections than the Wiltfongs, Ivins and Fermans of the world, then I for one trust him over the scouts.

no one should care what the recruiting services think, follow the offers. its May, and this kid has 3 P5 offers that includes the one from Miami

I'd rather them land the better QB prospect, which is clearly Rashada.

Rashada seems to be looking for Iamaleava and Manning type money. What's our NIL budget? If it's 10-20M, do you use 2M on only 1 kid, or spread the money around and lift the entire program up? That's the question.

TVD and even Garcia wouldn't expect nearly that amount of money, even after TVD has already produced at a super high level in ACC play, and coaches have seen what Garcia can do in practice for over a year now. So do you pay a kid more than your starting QB who had multiple 300-yard games last season? Seems counterproductive.

Without infinite NIL resources, I personally like the idea of placing NIL bets every two years on a QB, recruiting high-potential projects in the off years, and using the portal if the QB room depletes too much.

no one should care what the recruiting services think, follow the offers. its May, and this kid has 3 P5 offers that includes the one from Miami

Also agree with this. ... I'm not close enough to this particular recruitment. Do we know if he already has been evaluated by a bunch of top P5 programs and did not receive offers from them? Or did he just get a late start?

So people don't like this kid because he's a three star. Not because of film, not because of stats, not because of measurements, not because of level of competition but because he's a three star.
So if he was a four or five star everyone would be fine with it even though is basically the same player.
Didn't know canesinsight changed its name to gaytorcountry.

Advertisement
Do you really want to pay $3-5 million for Rashada or any other high school QB? Why not spend the money on a proven commodity and get a transfer who is producing.
I’m confident Mario and other coaches are thinking of this. Let the yokels at Tennessee blow their load and hope.
Agreed.

As I said in another thread, we will get a QB, whether it‘s Rashada, Moore, or someone else. We all need to understand, the chances of us spending that type of money for Rashada is absurd, if at the EARLIEST, he plays in two years. As of now, we don’t know what Garcia’s intentions are if he’s the starter in ‘23. He may come back, and Rashada decides to leave.

So why pay a kid that kind of money to potentially not play for a couple of years? We can spread that wealth around to grab other great players. I trust Mario and the staff until they give me multiple reasons not too. And even then, it’ll take me a bit, due to all that Mario has done for the school/program already.

How many crappy 3*s do we have to sign before we all stop talking ourselves into these kids being future stars? Its been 15 years of this

Pretty crappy take. First of all, we have a professional coaching staff right now. Don't be so shook.

So you're saying the coaches should leave the evals to websites where the guys who rank the kids aren't qualified to coach JV HS girls football?

You trust your evals. Most of the time they will dovetail with the consensus because most of the best kids go to camps and are easy to judge. But sometimes, because, you know, you're a million dollar plus a year P5 OC and they are a nickname on twitter, you trust your eyes.

Aaron Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Russell Wilson, Drew Brees, Phillip Rivers, Dak Prescott, Tom Brady, Patrick Mahomes, Big Ben, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson were all zero to three star QB's. They also have about 55 Pro Bowls between them.

Can you imagine automatically eliminating a pool of QB's like that because some tubby jock sniffer that writes for a f'ing internet website didn't see them at a camp or didn't have the skill to evaluate them?

Pretty crappy take. First of all, we have a professional coaching staff right now. Don't be so shook.

So you're saying the coaches should leave the evals to websites where the guys who rank the kids aren't qualified to coach JV HS girls football?

You trust your evals. Most of the time they will dovetail with the consensus because most of the best kids go to camps and are easy to judge. But sometimes, because, you know, you're a million dollar plus a year P5 OC and they are a nickname on twitter, you trust your eyes.

Aaron Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Russell Wilson, Drew Brees, Phillip Rivers, Dak Prescott, Tom Brady, Patrick Mahomes, Big Ben, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson were all zero to three star QB's. They also have about 55 Pro Bowls between them.

Can you imagine automatically eliminating a pool of QB's like that because some tubby jock sniffer that writes for a f'ing internet website didn't see them at a camp or didn't have the skill to evaluate them?
this.

it's almost impossible to get a 4 or 5 star ranking out of the gate as a QB if you don't:
(a) religiously do the camp circuit, STARTING EARLY, which means 2 springs/summers of camps,
(b) have a HS coach that knows how to pimp you out,
(c) play on a HS team that has recruiting visibility even if it's not a "championship" team, and
(d) pay the service fee to Rivals and 247 and others. (Yeah, I said it)

this.

it's almost impossible to get a 4 or 5 star ranking out of the gate, if you: (a) don't religiously do the camp circuit, (b) have a HS coach that knows how to pimp you out, (c) play on a HS team that has visibility, and (d) pay the service fee to Rivals and 247 and others. (Yeah, I said it)
(e) have offers from P5 (SEC)

Advertisement

as noted in the thread. go to the :15 mark in the tape. .....

then we can talk

Nah the CIS experts say he’s not a take. 🤷‍♂️

Roman's Emory Williams Eval: Is Emory Williams Ready for the next level?

Highlights:
  • Emory's release reminds him of Drew Brees
  • Superior pocket sense. This is Emory's main strength/attribute
  • Doesn't lock onto one WR, chooses the correct option
  • Very confident in his arm strength and very accurate
  • Can work in RPO offense
  • Elite level placement
He most definitely is a 4* QB and is ready for the next level.

@BS85 could you update the OP to include Roman's review?

Big boy stuff right here

Advertisement
So people don't like this kid because he's a three star. Not because of film, not because of stats, not because of measurements, not because of level of competition but because he's a three star.
So if he was a four or five star everyone would be fine with it even though is basically the same player.
Didn't know canesinsight changed its name to gaytorcountry.
He is a no star 😂

It’s all a crap shoot.
Kid looks good. But regardless weather it’s Nico, Rashada, or whoever; until they play at the next level nobody knows how they’ll respond.
Even Roman can be wrong. If I’m not mistaken his favorite qb a few cycles back was Spencer Rattler. I’m not criticizing him cause he knows way more about football than I ever will. But some players regardless of position or rating don't adapt well when they move up.
This also happens when qb’s move up to the nfl. They win heismans and ****les but as soon as they play at a higher level they can’t adapt.

... we've been through this 100 times over the years. It's simple statistics.

5/20 here are blue chippers. So, 25% were a 4 star or better (Or 20%, not sure if your "borderline 4 star" was a 4 star or a high ranked 3 star). But only 9% of players (not including unranked) are 4 or 5 stars based on the article below. That means for NFL QBs, blue chippers have a much better chance of being a top 20 NFL QB than all the others.

Sure, you will get diamonds in the rough. But the odds are in favor of blue chips. Do we really need to go over this every year?

Quarterbacks seem to have more "diamonds in the rough" than other positions.

I took Yahoo's ranking of the top 20 QBs. Anybody who was not a blue chipper is in bold and underlined.

Josh Allen
Patrick Mahomes
Aaron Rodgers

Joe Burrow (low four-star)
Tom Brady (pre-recruiting rankings, USC didn't offer)
Justin Herbert
Deshaun Watson
Kyler Murray
Dak Prescott
Russell Wilson
Lamar Jackson

Matt Stafford
Ryan Tannehill
Matt Ryan
Derek Carr
Jimmy Garoppolo
Kirk Cousins

Jared Goff
Carson Wentz
Jalen Hurts

As you can see, the vast majority (including the most talented guys) were not blue chippers. A bunch of them were completely off the grid. And while recruiting rankings have improved in many ways, the last two drafts still had four "sleeper" QBs get drafted in the first (Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, Mac Jones and Kenny Pickett). Only two of the 9 QBs drafted this year were blue chippers.

It’s all a crap shoot.
Kid looks good. But regardless weather it’s Nico, Rashada, or whoever; until they play at the next level nobody knows how they’ll respond.
Even Roman can be wrong. If I’m not mistaken his favorite qb a few cycles back was Spencer Rattler. I’m not criticizing him cause he knows way more about football than I ever will. But some players regardless of position or rating don't adapt well when they move up.
This also happens when qb’s move up to the nfl. They win heismans and ****les but as soon as they play at a higher level they can’t adapt.

Rattler performed at the highest level in college and did good.

Advertisement
Back