Official Emory Williams - 2023 QB COMMIT

Overall, he wouldn't be a take as the only QB in a class. He could be the #2 QB who comes in and fills out a room, but not on the level of Rashada and Date Moore and others we were chasing.

If I had to do the whole stars thing, he is solidly a 3-star QB with the tools to start at a G5 or lower P5 program.
Your slotting does match Roman's however. He's on a tier below Rashada and Moore. How far down that tier is where you differ.

Advertisement
Yes, off of his HUDL highlight. Hard to really do a breakdown of a player with a highlight video, but he sends me checks so maybe I should keep quiet. Ha
Good point (re:difference between entire game tape and highlights). That being said, I appreciate the analysis coming from both sides of the eval. And I'm pretty sure Roman would love the contrarian view too!

I watched two full games of his. There were things to like, but he wouldn't be top of my board.

- Does this spin the football long way motion after almost every snap looking for the laces. Does it on run plays, pass plays, etc. He will have some missteps with this if it doesn't get coached out.

- You can tell he's done thousands of footwork drills. Always on-balance, in rhythm if things go smoothly. I think he looks robotic with it because it's been drilled so much. When the play goes off-script he really struggles to maintain.

- He's an athletic kid, but lacks any sort of dynamism to really make plays out of structure.

- Had a few bad snaps and really kept his composure, found the ball under control, then threw it away. I liked that because things happen in a game and being able to keep a level head is a winning attribute.

- His arm is merely average for a P5 QB. He threw several comeback routes in the games I watched and the ball took forever to get there. Several were knocked down and/or popped up into the air. This was against, shall we say, kids who will be going pro in something other than football at the CB position.

- Really nice, catchable ball. The ball comes out of his hand beautifully. You can see him doing really well in a system like at Western Kentucky where he gets the ball out quickly and lets playmakers make plays.

- Plays in a system that is very simple, one-read, RPO or Read-Option on most plays. Throws outside of the hashes on the vast majority of throws and doesn't work the MOF well at all. Throws slants, but tends to drop his elbow and lose accuracy with any sort of pressure.

- Struggled against pressure in his face and tended to panic.

- Excels at stepping up in the pocket against outside pressure. Did this over-and-over again in the games I watched.

- Frame is skinny. Narrow shoulders, pop gun arms, thin legs. Looks almost frail.

- He is playing against quite marginal competition and he has a WR committed to Florida, who is, honestly, just better than the players he's facing. Throw the ball at the LOS and let him run for big yardage was the game plan.

- Also had a RB who is 215 pounds and bigger than many of the DL he faced. On money downs, it was always a screen to this kid, a draw to this kid, or a screen to the WR above.

- Deep ball really lacks trajectory and is thrown too on a line. That can be developed, but it was a consistent issue. Also tended to underthrow his deep ball. I charted five throws that were underthrown deep balls. This came after his first deep ball was overthrown on a blown coverage and the player could've walked in for a score. Perhaps he just over adjusted and his WR kept Moss'ing the poor CB's so he kept doing it.

- Accurate with the ball when he's in structure with the play. But let his elbow drop when facing middle pressure and was scattershot on those. He will see that more often than the play working perfectly and it concerned me a bit.

- Lacks a true trump card ability to make others better. He's a game manager.

- He is EXTREMELY loose with the ball while carrying it. Big hands, so he controls the football this way, but D1 edge players will knock that ball out repeatedly if he doesn't clean it up.

Overall, he wouldn't be a take as the only QB in a class. He could be the #2 QB who comes in and fills out a room, but not on the level of Rashada and Date Moore and others we were chasing.

If I had to do the whole stars thing, he is solidly a 3-star QB with the tools to start at a G5 or lower P5 program.

uh oh

a does of reality that won't be well received

I watched two full games of his. There were things to like, but he wouldn't be top of my board.

- Does this spin the football long way motion after almost every snap looking for the laces. Does it on run plays, pass plays, etc. He will have some missteps with this if it doesn't get coached out.

- You can tell he's done thousands of footwork drills. Always on-balance, in rhythm if things go smoothly. I think he looks robotic with it because it's been drilled so much. When the play goes off-script he really struggles to maintain.

- He's an athletic kid, but lacks any sort of dynamism to really make plays out of structure.

- Had a few bad snaps and really kept his composure, found the ball under control, then threw it away. I liked that because things happen in a game and being able to keep a level head is a winning attribute.

- His arm is merely average for a P5 QB. He threw several comeback routes in the games I watched and the ball took forever to get there. Several were knocked down and/or popped up into the air. This was against, shall we say, kids who will be going pro in something other than football at the CB position.

- Really nice, catchable ball. The ball comes out of his hand beautifully. You can see him doing really well in a system like at Western Kentucky where he gets the ball out quickly and lets playmakers make plays.

- Plays in a system that is very simple, one-read, RPO or Read-Option on most plays. Throws outside of the hashes on the vast majority of throws and doesn't work the MOF well at all. Throws slants, but tends to drop his elbow and lose accuracy with any sort of pressure.

- Struggled against pressure in his face and tended to panic.

- Excels at stepping up in the pocket against outside pressure. Did this over-and-over again in the games I watched.

- Frame is skinny. Narrow shoulders, pop gun arms, thin legs. Looks almost frail.

- He is playing against quite marginal competition and he has a WR committed to Florida, who is, honestly, just better than the players he's facing. Throw the ball at the LOS and let him run for big yardage was the game plan.

- Also had a RB who is 215 pounds and bigger than many of the DL he faced. On money downs, it was always a screen to this kid, a draw to this kid, or a screen to the WR above.

- Deep ball really lacks trajectory and is thrown too on a line. That can be developed, but it was a consistent issue. Also tended to underthrow his deep ball. I charted five throws that were underthrown deep balls. This came after his first deep ball was overthrown on a blown coverage and the player could've walked in for a score. Perhaps he just over adjusted and his WR kept Moss'ing the poor CB's so he kept doing it.

- Accurate with the ball when he's in structure with the play. But let his elbow drop when facing middle pressure and was scattershot on those. He will see that more often than the play working perfectly and it concerned me a bit.

- Lacks a true trump card ability to make others better. He's a game manager.

- He is EXTREMELY loose with the ball while carrying it. Big hands, so he controls the football this way, but D1 edge players will knock that ball out repeatedly if he doesn't clean it up.

Oh Man Reaction GIF by Bounce

Advertisement
Dude may be a nice college QB one day, but we'd be dragging Norvell/Napier if we got wind of FSU/UF making this kind of offer.

I do not see a Power 5 player, either by offer list or on video.
You’re right. Ponce and gattis have no clue we should look for your professional analysis instead

This one is moving too fast for me.

I have no problem taking a sleeper QB (look at the ratings of the NFL stars) and this is more of an eval than a last-minute scramble. He definitely looks like a P5 QB prospect.

But I’m concerned about athletic upside. The trend is toward dynamic talents and this kid appears to be a single-sport kid without a ton of twitch in his body. He is more polished than gifted.

I’ll withhold judgment until I can watch a few games, but there have been a few Canes fans from the panhandle who have seen him live and questioned the offer. Consider me concerned.
I just wanna make sure I have this right. We have the OC of the year we have Ponce we have Mario -we have a staff full of analysts now that we’ve never had before and I’m supposed to listen to board experts right out of the bat before this new staff has proven that they are gonna blow things? I’m not saying the coaching staff is infallible but forgive me if I give this staff in particular the benefit of the doubt

I just wanna make sure I have this right. We have the OC of the year we have Ponce we have Mario -we have a staff full of analysts now that we’ve never had before and I’m supposed to listen to board experts right out of the bat before this new staff has proven that they are gonna blow things? I’m not saying the coaching staff is infallible but forgive me if I give this staff in particular the benefit of the doubt

Josh Gattis is a WR coach by trade, the OC of the year thing doesn't make him an expert in Qb development or recruiting

follow the offers

Advertisement
Some names those guys helped develop and produced are?

I am not tripping off the offer. Think people need to relax and let things play out

I'm in favor of being skeptical of any viewpoint (including mine) and giving the benefit of the doubt to the coaching staff. They surely know more than I do about this stuff.

It's just that someone asked my opinion and I decided to give it. I've made the mistake of pumping sunshine on a prospect that I didn't really like once previously (Tommy Kennedy). Since that time, I vowed not to spread kool-aid and give my honest opinion.

There will be times I'm wrong. Every talent evaluator is at times.

You don't have to listen to anybody. I guarantee the coaches don't care what some dork posting from his office thinks about players. But it's a fan discussion board. We are just discussing the prospect. College coaches are always more knowledgeable than fans but they are not always right.

I remember the days when almost all of this board said TVD didn't deserve an offer. Fun times.

People pointed to his stats, lack of athleticism in his film, and playing super inferior talent. There were a few that like him, but not many.

Same crowd who **** on berrios when he came out of NC.

One thing I know for sure, if he's not 4/5 stars, the majority of this board will complain. ****, most of this board complained when we were a perennial 6 win team and we weren't pulling in 5 stars with Al Golden.

I'll trust the staff. I prefer some big name like rashada and I'm sure the staff does as well, but it looks like they've gotten comfortable with a QB in case others fall through. You always take a QB in today's age

Advertisement
I’m talking about this kid’s ceiling. And level of competiton is one of the most useless factors in evaluating qb’s. For the simple reason that the kid has the fundamentals and the ear space or he doesn’t. You can pick that up on tape.

And arm strength shows on several routes so i’m not sure what you are seeing.

Everyone has their opinion and their area of competence. I would always defer to @Liberty City El for CB’s over anyone, as that’s not my area of expertise. Same way @Stevo365 has the WR’s on lockdown.

In this case, I trust my eyes more than anyone on this board for evaluation of qb’s.

I’ve been wrong before. I just don’t think so in this case
Damm i need to peep the boards more this a lit convo! personally i love Emory & if we do not get Rashada expect him to be the QB in the class. Excellent find from Coach Ponce I would grade him as a solid 4 star if it was up to me. The arm, Accuracy, Pocket mobility, Size and release tells me he can compete here

We need to do better outside of Dade and Broward. Getting Jackson is a nice start, and this would be a continuation of that.

And, yes, I'm aware that Richt had some success recruiting Jacksonville.

Advertisement
No coach or staff is beyond reproach.

The way I see it is that maybe struck out at qb or Maybe not.
I see way more of an urgent need at db and the trenches.

It’s obvious Miami already made there pitch to Rashada and he’s gonna have to make up his mind
The rule has an always will be that you always get a qb and the panhandle dude is underrated and obviously better than nothing. Maybe he’ll suck or make the staff look like **** good evaluators.

What we are seeing imo is a philosophy. Huepl at Tennessee and Lincoln at USc are offensive dudes. And Huepl gonna die on that Nico sword or won the sec because of it.

Mario sees a way more urgent need in the trenches and who we’ve brought in and who we are targeting proves it.

If I were to allocate resources given our squad I would gather that most people on here would not put a qb at the top of their list. But given the market at present I’d rather be spending time on dudes like Kirkland and the DT from Orlando and dudes like Jayden Wayne.

The 24 qb cycle is what I would be laying the foundation for while other schools are out there writing checks that they might have to ask for later if the collective issue gets axed.

Yes, off of his HUDL highlight. Hard to really do a breakdown of a player with a highlight video, but he sends me checks so maybe I should keep quiet. Ha
Wow, thanks for the teamkill, Lance. I DO WHAT I CAN AND PEOPLE WANTED RO TO DO A BREAKDOWN WITH ME!! Just kidding, obviously; I love you and I really appreciated reading your breakdown as well. I am super excited to see this kid blow up and really curious where he ends up being ranked when all is said and done.

Advertisement
Back