Official Emory Williams - 2023 QB COMMIT

Advertisement
On tonight's Maxed Out, Max said he talked with RomanCane and Roman loves Emory's tape. Roman can't understand why he isn't getting more pub/hype.

Max theory is that Emory doesn't camp and we know that will tend to depress rankings.

Edit: link now jumps directly to the discussion

Max's comments:

• Tape insane
  • Release perfect
  • Max considers him a high 4* recruit
  • Expects rankings to follow ala TVD

I care what Roman thinks , that mixed with what my eyes show me and what the coaches think I‘d love the take.

Last edited:
Interesting, Max has Emory on commit watch.

Edit: Max is asking coach Hayes to do a breakdown on Emory (WRE hopefully?)

Edit 2: Coach Hayes says he's on it, will be doing a breakdown. Really looking forward to this WRE.
Thats kinda obvious beens the staff loves him and we’re likely his best commitable offer. Plus he’s a Florida kid. Get him on board asap and hopefully hold on to him. He’ll be a four star when it’s all said and done.

Last edited:
Mario is not a good evaluator of the qb position and Ponce is use to recruiting qbs like this in his history of coaching at group of 5 type schools.
This is all Gattis / Ponce not Mario. Oc’s search , evaluate and choose their qb’s, QBC obviously has some influence. Just like Enos chose TVD.

Who else would know the best fit to run their offense ?

Last edited:
Advertisement
So 3 classes and he didn’t land a QB that didn’t require the school to bring in a transfer starter at QB.

And that impresses you?
This is a good point and a legit issue. Mario signed three quarterbacks at Oregon. Their current staff has so little confidence in any of them that they brought in a mediocre transfer QB to be their #1 guy. After bringing in a mediocre transfer QB to be their #1 guy last year. Why can’t any of the recruits they signed get on the field?

Don't get caught up in the one sport athlete thing. Most D1 athletes could play another sport, some choose not to so they can focus on one. In particular at the smaller schools. Gotta have love for other sports and maybe he doesn't or is just laser focused on football. I don't plan on my kids playing more than one unless they really just love something else. Give that one your all.
21 of the last 26 first round QBs played multiple sports. That's 80%. Those kids typically have more athletic upside, more varied movement skills and more resilience from competing year-round instead of training.

One of the reasons I was so high on TVD as a recruit is because he played multiple sports and tested well. That suggested upside once he focused on football. If I recall, you were very concerned about his unconventional release. His athletic ability allowed him to adjust.

I think Emory Williams looks like a P5 QB. The polish is obvious even in a HL reel. If he's our second QB, that's a steal. Guys like @RedSquare and @Roman Marciante know a lot more than me and they love him. I just want to see evidence of upside, whether it is flash plays or athleticism numbers. Would be very curious to see his shuttle- the top QBs like TVD usually land in the 4.2-4.4 range.

This is the real problem.

Mario, based on his history, does not deserve the benefit of the doubt when it comes to QBs.

He needs to prove his time at Oregon was just a relatively small sample blip.

This doesn’t really show that.
I'm pretty sure Gattis, Ponce, and our army of offensive analysts have a lot to say about which QB to recruit. Mario is not going out and analyzing QBs.

Advertisement
On tonight's Maxed Out, Max said he talked with RomanCane and Roman loves Emory's tape. Roman can't understand why he isn't getting more pub/hype.

Max theory is that Emory doesn't camp and we know that will tend to depress rankings.

Max's comments:

• Tape insane
  • Release perfect

This is the same **** the Gators and Noles say whenever a kid comes out of thin air and gets a few offers.

Typically, consensus is closer to the truth (not the absolute truth) than a few random evals. This is one of those “hipster” look at me evals.

Enough people have seen this kid (his WR is a highly ranked player) on tape and in camp to pass.

Why that is, I don’t know. But more often than not, they remain very low ranked this early in the process for a reason.

I said and honestly felt like McCloud would be the best out of the 3(Him, Shaq, Pick) 🤦🏾‍♂️
Man Freshman year McCloud sometimes looked like he was shot out of a cannon. I have no idea what happened but I was with you

As I mentioned in the other Emory Elite 11 thread, he is a take and I would take him over the Moore and Rashada. It's not worth the hassle with Moore/Rashada with where we are at in our QB room. I expect Emory to commit. Ponce loves this guy. We are stacked at QB right now and in MY OPINION, taking Moore or Rashada will f'up the locker room. Just my opinion as to where we are at. TVD is leaving after this year unless he has a down year. Garcia plays next year and gets us close to a natty. The battle will be between Brown and Emory. I have always expected Brown to play another position but we will see.

Emory has not had the level of teaching and camp circuit visibility to move him up the rankings. He lacks a little bit of athleticism and DMoney is correct to point out about QB's playing more than 1 sport. However, Emory is an excellent qb and the kind you take with our QB situation. He ain't bag chasing and a person who is going to grind it out to become better. You give him 2-3 years of college coaching and training and allow him to hone his skills. Ponce ain't leaving anytime soon unless he gets some big time OC or HC job and I don't see it. He is our OC in waiting cause Gattis aint staying 3 years unless we start racking up some Nattys. So, allowing Emory to get 2-3 years of specific training under 1 QB coach like Ponce will blow him up.

As I mentioned in the other Emory Elite 11 thread, he is a take and I would take him over the Moore and Rashada. It's not worth the hassle with Moore/Rashada with where we are at in our QB room. I expect Emory to commit. Ponce loves this guy. We are stacked at QB right now and in MY OPINION, taking Moore or Rashada will f'up the locker room. Just my opinion as to where we are at. TVD is leaving after this year unless he has a down year. Garcia plays next year and gets us close to a natty. The battle will be between Brown and Emory. I have always expected Brown to play another position but we will see.

Emory has not had the level of teaching and camp circuit visibility to move him up the rankings. He lacks a little bit of athleticism and DMoney is correct to point out about QB's playing more than 1 sport. However, Emory is an excellent qb and the kind you take with our QB situation. He ain't bag chasing and a person who is going to grind it out to become better. You give him 2-3 years of college coaching and training and allow him to hone his skills. Ponce ain't leaving anytime soon unless he gets some big time OC or HC job and I don't see it. He is our OC in waiting cause Gattis aint staying 3 years unless we start racking up some Nattys. So, allowing Emory to get 2-3 years of specific training under 1 QB coach like Ponce will blow him up.
I wonder how intelligent he is- what kind of student is he? And football IQ. All physical attributes aside , to me, those are important too. TVD is smart and a grinder. He combines his physical gifts with knowing the systems inside and out and being able to translate it to the field. That's every bit as important as having athleticism, especially as guys go from HS to college to the pros

Advertisement
He's a panhandle kid so I'm always concerned about flight risk if FSU or the $EC come knocking. Need to know a little more about the kids background to determine if this concern is warranted.
Everyone knows my views on those North Florida / Panhandle kids. A Qb like him wouldn’t concern me as much beens he’s a lower rated kid but it’s always a possibility.

It’s a chance you have to take.

Last edited:
My entirely uneducated opinion:

In this new era aim to take two QBs a class. One coachable “project” and one big name. The former will stay longer and give you continuity if the big name decides to bounce because they’re not starting by year 2. And they could be diamonds in the rough with superior work ethic and focus that you can mold. It seems like cheap insurance to me.

Everyone knows my views on those North Florida / Panhandle kids. A Qb like him wouldn’t concern me as much beens he’s a lower rated kid but it’s always a possibility.

It’s a chance you have to take.
I was surprised when I saw he was from Milton, as it's not a historically powerhouse program. Their schedule is pretty interesting: it's like half really historic programs and the other half bums.

Nice town, very nice county.

Advertisement

Max's comments:

• Tape insane
  • Release perfect

I figured roman would agree with me.

This is the same **** the Gators and Noles say whenever a kid comes out of thin air and gets a few offers.

Typically, consensus is closer to the truth (not the absolute truth) than a few random evals. This is one of those “hipster” look at me evals.

Enough people have seen this kid (his WR is a highly ranked player) on tape and in camp to pass.

Why that is, I don’t know. But more often than not, they remain very low ranked this early in the process for a reason.

here's a non-hipster eval: https://www.canesinsight.com/thread...illiams-and-elite-11-bias.177658/post-5867023

i'd focus on that in coming to any. conclusions

My entirely uneducated opinion:

In this new era aim to take two QBs a class. One coachable “project” and one big name. The former will stay longer and give you continuity if the big name decides to bounce because they’re not starting by year 2. And they could be diamonds in the rough with superior work ethic and focus that you can mold. It seems like cheap insurance to me.
Exactly. Don't understand the opposition to taking this kid. Our QB room is currently stacked and set for at least the next two seasons. We should pursue top recruits, but many won't want to come here knowing they likely have little opportunity to start for at least 2 years. If we get one, great. But taking a project with upside who at least could be a good backup in the event of injuries and portal defections, and possibly could be developed into a starter, makes sense.

Advertisement
Back