Official Emory Williams - 2023 QB COMMIT

Advertisement
He'll be visiting with his family 5/14-5/15

Ponce and Coach Joe watched his practice last week. They had been doing some scouting on him prior to that

Planning to commit by end of May. His spring game is 5/21 and he wants to tie things up after that

This one is moving too fast for me.

I have no problem taking a sleeper QB (look at the ratings of the NFL stars) and this is more of an eval than a last-minute scramble. He definitely looks like a P5 QB prospect.

But I’m concerned about athletic upside. The trend is toward dynamic talents and this kid appears to be a single-sport kid without a ton of twitch in his body. He is more polished than gifted.

I’ll withhold judgment until I can watch a few games, but there have been a few Canes fans from the panhandle who have seen him live and questioned the offer. Consider me concerned.

This kid is fine if he's the second QB in your class but it's highly concerning that we are already settling on unranked QB's given Mario's history recruiting the position.

This is the real problem.

Mario, based on his history, does not deserve the benefit of the doubt when it comes to QBs.

He needs to prove his time at Oregon was just a relatively small sample blip.

This doesn’t really show that.

Advertisement

I have no problem taking a sleeper QB (look at the ratings of the NFL stars) and this is more of an eval than a last-minute scramble. But I’m concerned about athletic upside. The trend is toward dynamic talents and this kid appears to be a single-sport kid without a ton of twitch in his body. He is more polished than gifted.

I’ll withhold judgment until I can watch a few games, but there have been a few Canes fans from the panhandle who have seen him live and questioned the offer. Consider me concerned.

Agreed, it looks like they're conceding. History shows that most QBs commit, and stay committed, early. Unless he's a project, this doesn't bode well for us.

Last edited:
Really solid kid main thing I wanna see him do is look off defenders Csz he has a good feel of where the ball needs to be placed if he can work on that he can be dangerous

This is the real problem.

Mario, based on his history, does not deserve the benefit of the doubt when it comes to QBs.

He needs to prove his time at Oregon was just a relatively small sample blip.

This doesn’t really show that.
Based on his history here? Because what he did at oregon doesn't matter?

Advertisement
Leeds and .......
That article says nothing about him committing to UM or even if UM would take him. it only says that he’s visiting and making a decision soon.

There is literally nothing in there talking about our interest in him.

Advertisement
That article says nothing about him committing to UM or even if UM would take him. it only says that he’s visiting and making a decision soon.

There is literally nothing in there talking about our interest in him.
I've read otherwise but I hope you are right.

Someone in this thread mentioned that one of Williams' receivers, Raymond Cottrell, is a four-star UGA commit. So here's a look at Cottrell's junior highlights to see a little more of Williams.

I don't recall the first play in Cottrell's highlights being included in Williams' Hudl video and it's pretty easy to see why.

I said the same thing a few months ago that the one area of recruiting where Mario is unproven is QB and that's why I was happy we were aggressively recruiting Rashada. But Mario knows this also, so they really must be seeing something here to justify going all in so early.

Advertisement
When the staff (I'm assuming this is Ponce & Gattis at the very least) are saying

‘Emory Williams is our guy’

they are at an advanced stage of the recruiting and would take the commitment IMO.

What concerns did they express to you? Arm strength? Athleticism?

Advertisement
Back