2024 Elijah Rushing 5* #1 Edge (Commits to Zona then flips to Oregon)

I’m not really sure where Mario ranks but he’s a good recruiter and his schemes/game day coaching leaves people wanting more.

Jimbo Fischer at FSU looked incredible while he had crab legs throwing the ball.

Mario won a really weak PAC12 twice with Justin Herbert.

I think his limitations put limits on what he’ll accomplish. With that said, he’s dedicated, good at securing resources from boosters (important at Miami), and a good enough recruiter / talent evaluator that he can get us to 9+ wins a year on average until his contract is up and that’s better than we’ve been in a long time.

I don’t hate the guy and he was a really safe hire and the school showed it is serious about getting back to winning. I’m excited about that and excited to watch a lot of the guys on our team grow.

He isn’t infallible though and I have no problem calling out when he does stupid stuff which unfortunately he does almost every game lol

Advertisement
Yes, I would.

I’m fine w/ Mario being here, I think Mario is a good coach despite what his overall record or how last year ended; however, I’ve been very consistent on this board that he was not my first choice. The fact is, Mario needs to out talent his opponents. I was fine w that due to his reputation as an elite recruiter. However, history shows his coaching style that’s from circa 1991 puts his more talented teams in dog fights w/ less talented teams, often resulting is losses that should never be.

With that said Kelly has won big wherever he’s been; no, he hasn’t won the big one, but he’s been much closer to winning it all than Mario & that’s not up for debate.
I agree with this I’m just hoping Mario keeps doing what he’s doing and Dawson or the next OC can really put up points to avoid what u said leaving bad teams in the game so he doesn’t lose those games.

Would you rather Kelly here than Cristobal?
No cause I have morals. But if I had a couple shots of tequila 1000% I can name 20 names before I land on Mario Cristobal. I can name about the same sober, he’s not what yall think he is. The only reason I think he’ll ultimately be successful here is because he IS Miami. They’ll support him like they support no other. He has time

Last edited:
Advertisement
No cause I have morals. But if I had a couple shots of tequila 1000% I can name 20 names before I land on Mario Cristobal. I can name about the same sober, he’s not what yall think he is. The only reason I think he’ll ultimately be successful here is because he IS Miami. They’ll support him like they support no other. He has time

Ok so he's only going to be successful because they're backing him like no other. Why was he sucessful at Oregon?

Everyone can come up with a list of names they’d prefer. Come up with a list of names that we realistically could hire and are within 10% as proven. Honestly I Bet it’s not 20. I’d actually bet over 10 of them would be guys who have never coached P5 or been HCs before. And if he bring support like no other could that’s definitely a benefit he brings that elevates him as a coach, not even sure how that could even be a negative. Like I said who cares where people would rank Mario all else equal, what matters is where he ranks HERE

You could make the exact same "just happened to be there at the right time" argument for Mario at Oregon, considering he inherited Justin Herbert & factoring in the Pac-12 at that time was the worst P5 conference in CFB.

I'm not trying to discredit Mario, but if the argument is objective, he's simply not a top 10 Coach. Top 15 maybe, top 10??? It just doesn't add up.
What are we even arguing here?

Since 2006 we've had:
  • Randy Shannon
  • Al Golden
  • Mark Richt (suffering from a serious illness)
  • Manny Diaz
If Cristobal is ONLY a top 15 Head Coach that's still a **** sight better than the shower that proceeded him for the last 15 years. I swear some of you guys would start an argument in a room by yourself.

Advertisement
What do you mean by this?

Most see him as an elite recruiter because he's relentless and a mediocre if not poor game day coach.

What are we even arguing here?

Since 2006 we've had:
  • Randy Shannon
  • Al Golden
  • Mark Richt (suffering from a serious illness)
  • Manny Diaz
If Cristobal is ONLY a top 15 Head Coach that's still a **** sight better than the shower that proceeded him for the last 15 years. I swear some of you guys would start an argument in a room by yourself.
Its been 23 years since we had a top 50 head coach (I would have had Richt pretty high if not for his illness). This is about as good as it was going to get. We are like the old bald guy who lives in his moms basement but thinks he should be dating someone who looks like Rihanna

Mario got fired from FIU because he got in to it with Pete Garcia, the AD at the time, who’s an asshat, corrupt piece of **** that was lining his pockets with money from the FIU athletic department, sleeping with employees and walking around like he knew more than every coach of every sport.

Meanwhile, Mario and coaches were driving players to games in personal vehicles.
Do you know what really happened? Lol

I’ll take a HC like that 10 times out of 10. We had sassy soft dudes coaching here. Bring me these goons and let them stir.

UM needed that cause we been soft for ages it feels like

Pause

I’m not really sure where Mario ranks but he’s a good recruiter and his schemes/game day coaching leaves people wanting more.

Jimbo Fischer at FSU looked incredible while he had crab legs throwing the ball.

Mario won a really weak PAC12 twice with Justin Herbert.

I think his limitations put limits on what he’ll accomplish. With that said, he’s dedicated, good at securing resources from boosters (important at Miami), and a good enough recruiter / talent evaluator that he can get us to 9+ wins a year on average until his contract is up and that’s better than we’ve been in a long time.

I don’t hate the guy and he was a really safe hire and the school showed it is serious about getting back to winning. I’m excited about that and excited to watch a lot of the guys on our team grow.

He isn’t infallible though and I have no problem calling out when he does stupid stuff which unfortunately he does almost every game lol
do a little research, Herbert didnt want 2 pac 12 titles. Mario did.

Advertisement
One thing that gets lost here a lot…..Miami wasn’t going to just hire anyone at $8M. People saying Lane, etc. Not only was that not gonna happen because of who Lane is, but the only guy the wallets were opening this wide for was Mario. Not like the school said, “OK, here’s a $8M a year for a coach, what y’all thinking?”

It was actually the exact opposite. Ohhhh, we can get Mario. But he wants $8M? Ok.

Trust me, if Mario had absolutely zero interest, we wouldn’t be sitting here with another $8M coach. And Lane makes $7.5M I believe.

do a little research, Herbert didnt want 2 pac 12 titles. Mario did.
My bad. Herbert carried Mario to a 12-2 season that was Mario’s elite season at Oregon. He also won a PAC 12 championship when he went 4-3 during the COVID year including 4-2 conference record.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Do you know what really happened? Lol

I’ll take a HC like that 10 times out of 10. We had sassy soft dudes coaching here. Bring me these goons and let them stir.

UM needed that cause we been soft for ages it feels like

Pause
Yeah man. Pete Garcia was a UM guy. He was a recruiting coordinator in the early 90s and then he became director of football operations under Butch and even went to Cleveland with Butch and was director of player personnel and then became Vice President of Personnel and Development. Kinda like Alonzo before coming back to UM to be associate AD, again kinda like Alonzo lol. Then he got ****ed cuz he wanted the AD job and they wouldn't give it to him and get rid of Paul Dee so he rode to FIU in 2006 and brought Mario with him.

Mario overachieved at FIU and wanted Garcia to invest more in the program. Look at Mario's year last year here and what we've gone through this year to win games and now think that he won 8 games in a year and is responsible for two of the three total Bowl appearances at FIU (Butch being the other). There were literally times that the department "forgot" to coordinate busses for the players (I think it was actually for a game against Miami in the OB) and the coaching staff was shuttling players in their personal cars. Mario got ****ed and him and Garcia started started butting heads. Garcia tried to push him away thinking he would take the Rutgers job and when he didn't take it he looked for the first reason to fire him which was FIU going 3-9 the next year.

Pete was known as one of the worst ADs in CFB, corrupt as ****, and slept with staffers and ****. Total Slime ball.

I stand corrected on Brian Kelly and the CFP berth. I don't see him as CLEARLY better than Mario if so would you rather have him here?

Would rather have Kelly. Not a knock on Cristobal, but Kelly is a tier up. I don't think most people appreciate what an outlier ND was when it made the playoffs twice over the last 5 years. In 2018 they had ONE 5 star. In 2020, they had TWO five stars. The next closest playoff team in 2018, Clemson had 9. I[BGCOLOR=initial]n 2020, Clemson again had the 2nd fewest - 11 5 stars. The fact he made it to the playoffs twice with a vastly less talented roster (on paper) means there was more than luck at play. [/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=initial] And Kelly also had to deal with recruiting challenges that don't apply to a lot of programs because ND isn't as flexible with academic standards as other football schools.[/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=initial]Kelly does what we hope Cristobal will be able to do - identify underrated talent and develop players so that we are a playoff team without having to have a roster filled with 5 stars (with our budget that's not realistic). He's got the track record to show he can do that, which Cristobal doesn't (yet). [/BGCOLOR]

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back