2024 Elijah Rushing 5* #1 Edge (Commits to Zona then flips to Oregon)

Advertisement
Well that’s false, no program any of those coaches took over were the level of bad of FIU, who’s had 4 winning seasons ever

Which is why TrumpyCane finds it funny people use his winning % with no context
He is 46-22 during those six years outside of FIU. That is averaging 3 closer to 4 losses a year. He is a decent but not great coach. The discussion was naming 10 better coaches than him in terms of accomplishments and it’s just not hard to come up with 10 names. As Memnon said earlier, there is an argument to be made for him being around 15 but that is the ceiling right now. We were hoping he was better but those returns thus far say he just isn’t.

I’d rather have Mario at Miami over Lanning given Mario’s track record of fixing cultures.

Plus, Mario understands Miami better than probably any coach out there.

Lanning is a good coach in his own right.

He is 46-22 during those six years outside of FIU. That is averaging 3 closer to 4 losses a year. He is a decent but not great coach. The discussion was naming 10 better coaches than him in terms of accomplishments and it’s just not hard to come up with 10 names. As Memnon said earlier, there is an argument to be made for him being around 15 but that is the ceiling right now. We were hoping he was better but those returns thus far say he just isn’t.

TrumpyCane doesn’t think Mario is a Top 10 coach, just find it funny people want to use his record at FIU against him

Advertisement
TrumpyCane doesn’t think Mario is a Top 10 coach, just find it funny people want to use his record at FIU against him
Okay then, but that has been the base level back and forth the past few pages that myself and the guy you quoted have been apart of.

But did they get fired from FIU?
Mario got fired from FIU because he got in to it with Pete Garcia, the AD at the time, who’s an asshat, corrupt piece of **** that was lining his pockets with money from the FIU athletic department, sleeping with employees and walking around like he knew more than every coach of every sport.

Meanwhile, Mario and coaches were driving players to games in personal vehicles.

****...lol Y'all keeping this thread alive as if we had a shot at him or something lol. Dude was never coming here so what the heck are we arguing for??

Advertisement
Animated GIF

Well that’s false, no program any of those coaches took over were the level of bad of FIU, who’s had 4 winning seasons ever

Which is why TrumpyCane finds it funny people use his winning % with no context
Lane Kiffin won multiple Conference championships at FAU

James Franklin won at Vandy; Vanderbilt hadn’t had a winning season since 1955 until James Franklin got there.

Brian Kelly won at Cincinnati; when they hadn’t had a winning season since the 90’s.

Mario had one 8 win season at FIU, when the program was only 4 or 5 years old, yall are acting like he went to FIU & turned them into a CUSA powerhouse lol.

I use his winning % with full context & in full context, he’s not a top 10 Coach, that’s undeniable.

You can stack his resume up next to over a dozen different Coaches & it simply doesn’t measure up.

I get it, Mario is Miami’s hero, so saying that rubs people the wrong way, but unfortunately Math is undefeated.

He has every opportunity in the world to boost his resume & place himself among the best Coaches given his basically life long contract with Miami, so there’s that. But if yall wanna have a genuine discussion about Coaching records, you simply can’t put him in the top 10, unless you’re a Super homer. Which would nullify the debate to begin with.

James Franklin won at Vandy; Vanderbilt hadn’t had a winning season since 1955 until James Franklin got there.

Brian Kelly won at Cincinnati; when they hadn’t had a winning season since the 90’s.

Mario had one 8 win season at FIU, when the program was only 4 or 5 years old, yall are acting like he went to FIU & turned them into a CUSA powerhouse lol.

I use his winning % with full context & in full context, he’s not a top 10 Coach, that’s undeniable.

You can stack his resume up next to over a dozen different Coaches & it simply doesn’t measure up.

I get it, Mario is Miami’s hero, so saying that rubs people the wrong way, but unfortunately Math is undefeated.

He has every opportunity in the world to boost his resume & place himself among the best Coaches given his basically life long contract with Miami, so there’s that. But if yall wanna have a genuine discussion about Coaching records, you simply can’t put him in the top 10, unless you’re a Super homer. Which would nullify the debate to begin with.

Lane Kiffin was already known and got some guys to transfer in a while at FAU. Mario built that program from scratch and got the most drafted players, including their highest-drafted guy ever.

Lane got a couple of conference championships at FAU and 2 of his three bowl wins (the other a 5-5 Ole Miss win CoVID year) but hasn't done well in bowl games otherwise. He has done his best at FAU.

I don't see Lane as a program builder at all. X's and O's guy who calls a good offense

Franklin did his thing at Vandy. He took advantage by winning 7 out of 9 games against teams with losing records in 2012 and repeated the same thing in 2013, winning nine games with seven of those teams having losing records. If you put him back at Vandy now, he won't be beating Tennesee, Ole Miss, UK, or South Carolina.

Vandy sucked for a long time, and he was there at the right time to take advantage of a really really really bad SEC East. I know it's Vandy, but they still offer more resources than FIU.

At Penn State, he is 12-24 vs. ranked opponents in the top 25. Mario was 7-6 vs Ranked opponents in his time at Oregon. Lane Kiffin is 4-23 all-time vs. top 25 Ranked opponents. With the playing field leveled, I don't see Franklin being all that.

Kelly has won everywhere he has gone. He wins the games he is supposed to, so credit to him.

To their credit, they know how to use their T/Os better and know how to call a kneel play.

Last edited:

Idk why it honestly matters if Mario is a top 10 coach for endless debate here. He's not even going to be paid like one past like this year. And half those top10 coaches Miami had literally zero chance of having be our coach.

How about you make a top 10 Coaching list that Miami reasonably could get to be our HC. That's all that actually matters.
Saban, Smart, Dabo obviously not even worth mentioning. Harbaugh, Ryan Day and James Franklin wouldn't leave Michigan/tOSU/PSU unless they're reaching the end of their rope and looking for a clear upgrade or reset, regardless thats not the case.. And out of those Harbaugh is probably the most realistic, but why would he leave his alma mater unless to go to NFL again. Wittingham isn't leaving Utah given hes coached in that state for all but 5 years of his career and went to BYU. Same for like Gundy at OKSt... Like I'm trying to think of any Coach that can reasonably be put into a top 10 here...

Who does that leave? Lincoln Riley, Brian Kelly, Like Luke Fickell - who seems like a career mid-west guy that would never fit here but I'll include him anways, Lane Kiffin, Maybe Josh Heupel -who was hired a year earlier than Mario at UTenn, Sonny Dykes, Mark Stoops, Dave Clawson, Matt Rhule? Missing anyone?

Out of that I guess you could reasonably argue we should have offered more money for Riley or Kelly. Maybe Heupel would have been cool but the timing wasn't there. Otherwise we're really only talking about Mario vs Kiffin here. Anyone else we could have reasonably hired is also outside that top 10. And the same will be true for the next 3-5+ years...

Advertisement

Rick Minter won the conference in 2002 before Mark Dantonio took over, who also had multiple winning seasons at Cincinnati

TrumpyCane agrees that what James Franklin did at Vanderbilt was impressive though they won a bowl game in 2007

Basically, you named two coaches, who did anything similar to what Mario did at FIU

Actually, I find it quite ironic. The only two coaches who have had winning season’s at FIU are Mario and Butch.

Rick Minter won the conference in 2002 before Mark Dantonio took over, who also had multiple winning seasons at Cincinnati

TrumpyCane agrees that what James Franklin did at Vanderbilt was impressive though they won a bowl game in 2007

Basically, you named two coaches, who did anything similar to what Mario did at FIU

Actually, I find it quite ironic. The only two coaches who have had winning season’s at FIU are Mario and Butch.
FIU is barely 20 years old & one 8 win season there isn't exactly Hall Of Fame worthy.

I could name several more coaches, but that's not really the point. The original point was that Mario was a top 10 Coach & there weren't 10 coaches who were clearly better than him when in reality there is.

If winning 8 games at FIU is what makes Mario a top 10 Coach, then winning 10 games at Coastal Carolina should hold the same weight.

Lane Kiffin was already known and got some guys to transfer in a while at FAU. Mario built that program from scratch and got the most drafted players, including their highest-drafted guy ever.

Lane got a couple of conference championships at FAU and 2 of his three bowl wins (the other a 5-5 Ole Miss win CoVID year) but hasn't done well in bowl games otherwise. He has done his best at FAU.

I don't see Lane as a program builder at all. X's and O's guy who calls a good offense

Franklin did his thing at Vandy. He took advantage by winning 7 out of 9 games against teams with losing records in 2012 and repeated the same thing in 2013, winning nine games with seven of those teams having losing records. If you put him back at Vandy now, he won't be beating Tennesee, Ole Miss, UK, or South Carolina.

Vandy sucked for a long time, and he was there at the right time to take advantage of a really really really bad SEC East. I know it's Vandy, but they still offer more resources than FIU.

At Penn State, he is 12-24 vs. ranked opponents in the top 25. Mario was 7-6 vs Ranked opponents in his time at Oregon. Lane Kiffin is 4-23 all-time vs. top 25 Ranked opponents. With the playing field leveled, I don't see Franklin being all that.

Kelly has won everywhere he has gone. He wins the games he is supposed to, so credit to him.

To their credit, they know how to use their T/Os better and know how to call a kneel play.
You could make the exact same "just happened to be there at the right time" argument for Mario at Oregon, considering he inherited Justin Herbert & factoring in the Pac-12 at that time was the worst P5 conference in CFB.

I'm not trying to discredit Mario, but if the argument is objective, he's simply not a top 10 Coach. Top 15 maybe, top 10??? It just doesn't add up.

Advertisement
Idk why it honestly matters if Mario is a top 10 coach for endless debate here. He's not even going to be paid like one past like this year. And half those top10 coaches Miami had literally zero chance of having be our coach.

How about you make a top 10 Coaching list that Miami reasonably could get to be our HC. That's all that actually matters.
Saban, Smart, Dabo obviously not even worth mentioning. Harbaugh, Ryan Day and James Franklin wouldn't leave Michigan/tOSU/PSU unless they're reaching the end of their rope and looking for a clear upgrade or reset, regardless thats not the case.. And out of those Harbaugh is probably the most realistic, but why would he leave his alma mater unless to go to NFL again. Wittingham isn't leaving Utah given hes coached in that state for all but 5 years of his career and went to BYU. Same for like Gundy at OKSt... Like I'm trying to think of any Coach that can reasonably be put into a top 10 here...

Who does that leave? Lincoln Riley, Brian Kelly, Like Luke Fickell - who seems like a career mid-west guy that would never fit here but I'll include him anways, Lane Kiffin, Maybe Josh Heupel -who was hired a year earlier than Mario at UTenn, Sonny Dykes, Mark Stoops, Dave Clawson, Matt Rhule? Missing anyone?

Out of that I guess you could reasonably argue we should have offered more money for Riley or Kelly. Maybe Heupel would have been cool but the timing wasn't there. Otherwise we're really only talking about Mario vs Kiffin here. Anyone else we could have reasonably hired is also outside that top 10. And the same will be true for the next 3-5+ years...
The argument wasn't about who we could've hired instead of Mario. Mario is here & will be here for the rest of his career.

The whole debate started because someone said Mario was a top 10 Coach & there weren't 10 Coaches clearly better than him. That's just not the case, there's undeniably at least 10-13 clearly better than him.

FIU is barely 20 years old & one 8 win season there isn't exactly Hall Of Fame worthy.

I could name several more coaches, but that's not really the point. The original point was that Mario was a top 10 Coach & there weren't 10 coaches who were clearly better than him when in reality there is.

If winning 8 games at FIU is what makes Mario a top 10 Coach, then winning 10 games at Coastal Carolina should hold the same weight.
Memnom none of those coaches you named were birthed in the Holy Land of Souf Floriduh. Disregard.

You could make the exact same "just happened to be there at the right time" argument for Mario at Oregon, considering he inherited Justin Herbert & factoring in the Pac-12 at that time was the worst P5 conference in CFB.

I'm not trying to discredit Mario, but if the argument is objective, he's simply not a top 10 Coach. Top 15 maybe, top 10??? It just doesn't add up.

I think you’re being more than fair in saying top 15. Mario may not even be that. Like you said, he may have just run into a good situation in Oregon. Time will tell. I just am not a big fan of Kiffin, and Franklin is all.

The argument wasn't about who we could've hired instead of Mario. Mario is here & will be here for the rest of his career.

The whole debate started because someone said Mario was a top 10 Coach & there weren't 10 Coaches clearly better than him. That's just not the case, there's undeniably at least 10-13 clearly better than him.
Yeah I’m just saying that entire discussion doesn’t hold a bunch of weight imo. And I wasn’t saying today, I was saying when we hired Mario. Mario is a top 5 coach for us - not just top 10. And imo we are paying him right in line with where he stacks up - he’s what like 12th highest paid overall or something? Can’t remember.

Like I’m sure you have Wittingham as one of those guys at or above him, but he’s also been at Utah for **** near 30 years lol. It’s a lot different than Mario’s situation. And he averages 8.33 Wins/yr there as a HC with a 67.57% win% in 18 years (not including Covid year here cause PAC didn’t even play really or this year yet). And in PAC12 he averages 8.45 W/yr and 64.1% Win%..In Mario’s 4 full years as a P5 HC he averaged 9 W/yr and 69.2% win%. And that’s going to improve during his tenure here…

Anyways Win% In P5/ND:
Day 87.5%
Smart 84.9%,
Lincoln Riley 83.5%,
Dabo 81.3%,
Saban 80.2%,
Brian Kelly 73.6%,
Jimbo 72.4%,
Harbaugh 70.6%,
Mario 69.2%,
Chip Kelly 68.6%,
James Franklin 68.1%,
Mike Gundy 67.3%,
Wittingham 64.1%,
Kiffen 63.0%,
Stopps 53.5%,
Dykes 50%

Am I missing many guys with more than a couple yrs at a P5 school?

Advertisement
Back