Elijah Olaniyi Stony Brook transfer commits to Miami

Advertisement
I am a casual watcher of America East basketball since I have family that attended Vermont. Definitely one of the better mid-major leagues in America with a lot of talent from the northeast. Stony Brook has consistently been one of the best programs in the conference the past 10-15 years with their last two coaches (Jeff Boals and Steve Pikiell) moving on to jobs at bigger programs (Ohio and Rutgers, respectively).

Big time scorer who can stretch the floor and he fits in really well with Wong, Beverly and Timberlake. 6'5 guards who average 7 rebounds a game don't grow on trees either.

This is a really nice get and proves that the staff was right in not rushing into taking a kid since there will continually be movement in the portal until it looks like there will be a season.

I am a casual watcher of America East basketball since I have family that attended Vermont. Definitely one of the better mid-major leagues in America with a lot of talent from the northeast. Stony Brook has consistently been one of the best programs in the conference the past 10-15 years with their last two coaches (Jeff Boals and Steve Pikiell) moving on to jobs at bigger programs (Ohio and Rutgers, respectively).

Big time scorer who can stretch the floor and he fits in really well with Wong, Beverly and Timberlake. 6'5 guards who average 7 rebounds a game don't grow on trees either.

This is a really nice get and proves that the staff was right in not rushing into taking a kid since there will continually be movement in the portal until it looks like there will be a season.

Eh, I still think Burton and Martin are better players. This does help to balance the classes though, which definitely isn't nothing.

Good stuff. could be cleared to play this year? Isn’t there a good chance that all waivers would be approved due to the pandemic?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Good get. Unfortunately the 1 year guys haven’t worked out for us thus far. Hopefully that changes
If you're referring to Stone, it would have been hard to expect anything from a kid who was a marginal player throughout his career and only ended up playing half the season. Bigger things were expected of Zach Johnson, but he still averaged about 12 ppg on 40% from the field off the bench. Brooks should definitely contribute this coming year as will this kid the following.

Feels good when we beat out other teams these days for a pickup... not talking Duke and Kentucky here, but still:
Captureffd.PNG

Advertisement
Feels good when we beat out other teams these days for a pickup... not talking Duke and Kentucky here, but still:
View attachment 117101
I don’t know why but I absolutely cannot stand the Arkansas fanbase. No history with Miami other than the Alex Collins/Denver Kirkland recruiting battles, but I will always cheer strongly against them (unless they are playing UF, UGA, A&M, Tennessee, or Bama).

Like Brooks, Zach Johnson, McGusty and Stone our last 4 transfers?
McGusty isn't a one year transfer. The best teams L has had are with multiple year transfers.

Miami has had ZERO success with one year transfers. Zach Johnson & Stone were both contributors on teams that couldn't sniff post season play.

Let's hope Brooks breaks that streak this season.

Advertisement
If you're referring to Stone, it would have been hard to expect anything from a kid who was a marginal player throughout his career and only ended up playing half the season. Bigger things were expected of Zach Johnson, but he still averaged about 12 ppg on 40% from the field off the bench. Brooks should definitely contribute this coming year as will this kid the following.
Yes I was referring to Stone and Johnson. Both were contributors on awful teams. I enjoyed watching both of them play, I was just pointing out it hasn't worked so far.

Yes I was referring to Stone and Johnson. Both were contributors on awful teams. I enjoyed watching both of them play, I was just pointing out it hasn't worked so far.
Stone's production this past year matched his production at UF. Kid just isn't very good. As for Johnson, at his peak, he was a 16 ppg scorer at FGCU. His production dipped by 4 PPG going from mid-major to ACC play, so again, your expectations must have been a lot higher than what was realistic.

Stone's production this past year matched his production at UF. Kid just isn't very good. As for Johnson, at his peak, he was a 16 ppg scorer at FGCU. His production dipped by 4 PPG going from mid-major to ACC play, so again, your expectations must have been a lot higher than what was realistic.
I'm not talking individual statistics. They were brought on to help us win. Both of them failed in that regard. I thought they were both solid players at UM for a year. Both played for bad teams.

Hey everybody, Stony Brook season ticket holder here. I thought I'd give you my rundown on Elijah. I've always appreciated input from outsiders on our board – except we have an army of transfers next year and there aren't any Butler CC or Monroe CC or Otero JC fans so I guess we're out of luck. And this one time a Bradley fan chimed in to tell us that Geno Ford is a hack and will ruin the program :oops:

On Elijah: not an elite scorer but aggressive and energetic. You're not going to iso for him and he's not going to take over a game, but he's the kind of guy where you look up at the end of the game and see he's filled up the stat sheet. Really gets on the glass for a 6-5 guy; effort to the extreme, willing to be physical, good second and third efforts. An above-average athlete at our level but not a high flyer. He did take a big leap offensively this year, particularly with perimeter shooting. The jumper’s a little stiff and I didn't think he'd ever develop into a marksman, but he was good for us this year. Defensively, he was probably or best or second best perimeter defender, often marking the opposition’s top non PG scorer.

High character kid. Will give you everything he has. I think he can definitely play a role there as a sixth or seventh guy, maybe even cracking the starting lineup. Our top dog from 2018-19 transferred to Rutgers and averaged 10 and 5 in 24 minutes this year, and I could see something similar from Elijah. Other America East guys have hung in there OK (Calixte at Oklahoma, Cremo at Villanova, Nichols at Florida State, et al).

Advertisement
Back