Elijah Olaniyi Stony Brook transfer commits to Miami

Hey everybody, Stony Brook season ticket holder here. I thought I'd give you my rundown on Elijah. I've always appreciated input from outsiders on our board – except we have an army of transfers next year and there aren't any Butler CC or Monroe CC or Otero JC fans so I guess we're out of luck. And this one time a Bradley fan chimed in to tell us that Geno Ford is a hack and will ruin the program :oops:

On Elijah: not an elite scorer but aggressive and energetic. You're not going to iso for him and he's not going to take over a game, but he's the kind of guy where you look up at the end of the game and see he's filled up the stat sheet. Really gets on the glass for a 6-5 guy; effort to the extreme, willing to be physical, good second and third efforts. An above-average athlete at our level but not a high flyer. He did take a big leap offensively this year, particularly with perimeter shooting. The jumper’s a little stiff and I didn't think he'd ever develop into a marksman, but he was good for us this year. Defensively, he was probably or best or second best perimeter defender, often marking the opposition’s top non PG scorer.

High character kid. Will give you everything he has. I think he can definitely play a role there as a sixth or seventh guy, maybe even cracking the starting lineup. Our top dog from 2018-19 transferred to Rutgers and averaged 10 and 5 in 24 minutes this year, and I could see something similar from Elijah. Other America East guys have hung in there OK (Calixte at Oklahoma, Cremo at Villanova, Nichols at Florida State, et al).
Pretty good analysis. He'll likely be the 3rd or 4th guard in the rotation when he's eligible (assuming Timberlake isn't one and done) so I don't think a ton will be asked of him.

Advertisement
I like the statements in the analysis above that the kid plays physical, is a rebounder, and a good defender. Putting that together with his improved offense sure makes him sound like a good bet to able to contribute at the ACC level.

I like the statements in the analysis above that the kid plays physical, is a rebounder, and a good defender. Putting that together with his improved offense sure makes him sound like a good bet to able to contribute at the ACC level.

I thought the same thing. Miami needs a defensive stopper and hopefully he fills that role.

Advertisement
Stone's production this past year matched his production at UF. Kid just isn't very good. As for Johnson, at his peak, he was a 16 ppg scorer at FGCU. His production dipped by 4 PPG going from mid-major to ACC play, so again, your expectations must have been a lot higher than what was realistic.
Stone was a limited role player at UF and he was a limited role player here, so I'm not sure why people expected more. On a good team his contributions wouldn't have been seen as a disappointment.

Stone was a limited role player at UF and he was a limited role player here, so I'm not sure why people expected more. On a good team his contributions wouldn't have been seen as a disappointment.
Don't even bother. 90% of people on this board expected him to come in a be an all-conference player

Don't even bother. 90% of people on this board expected him to come in a be an all-conference player
I've seen it with the basketball program for decades. Posters used to have a massive hard-on for Paulo Cohelo as if he was the problem. Everyone loves guys like Jimmy Graham and Erick Swoope in hindsight but if they were on this past year's team they wouldn't have helped us win one more single game. And the dumb part is Stone actually played pretty well, for what his role was.

I've seen it with the basketball program for decades. Posters used to have a massive hard-on for Paulo Cohelo as if he was the problem. Everyone loves guys like Jimmy Graham and Erick Swoope in hindsight but if they were on this past year's team they wouldn't have helped us win one more single game. And the dumb part is Stone actually played pretty well, for what his role was.

I disagree. If we had Graham and Swoope we definitely win the Georgia Tech game, and maybe more. Or are you talking about basketball?

Advertisement
I'm not talking individual statistics. They were brought on to help us win. Both of them failed in that regard. I thought they were both solid players at UM for a year. Both played for bad teams.

That's unfair regarding Zach Johnson regarding winning. The season was over as soon as Hernandez was declared ineligible. We were then down to 8 scholarship players when the season opened and then Gak was lost a few games in. They were all worn down including Zach.

I disagree. If we had Graham and Swoope we definitely win the Georgia Tech game, and maybe more. Or are you talking about basketball?

Both Graham and Swoope played in well over 100 games each. They were solid defenders and significant contributors their senior seasons. Big body. He was a good rebounder, too. Graham starts on last year's team.

That's unfair regarding Zach Johnson regarding winning. The season was over as soon as Hernandez was declared ineligible. We were then down to 8 scholarship players when the season opened and then Gak was lost a few games in. They were all worn down including Zach.
Zach was quite disappointing that season, especially given how productive he was at FGCU.

Zach was quite disappointing that season, especially given how productive he was at FGCU.

His senior year numbers were equivalent to his freshman and sophomore year numbers. His scoring numbers way down his junior season. Big difference playing ACC games on a depleted squad versus playing in the Atlantic Sun.

Advertisement
You guys are taking the point to seriously. I understand the team had no chance once Hernandez couldn't play. You guys are acting like i'm slandering these kids. I'm not. I'm just pointing out that the 1 year transfer hasn't worked for us yet based on wins & losses. You bring on one year transfers because you hope they can fill holes in roster and help you win more games. Both Johnson and Stone gave their heart for the team in both years. Not taking that away at all.

Hey everybody, Stony Brook season ticket holder here. I thought I'd give you my rundown on Elijah. I've always appreciated input from outsiders on our board – except we have an army of transfers next year and there aren't any Butler CC or Monroe CC or Otero JC fans so I guess we're out of luck. And this one time a Bradley fan chimed in to tell us that Geno Ford is a hack and will ruin the program :oops:

On Elijah: not an elite scorer but aggressive and energetic. You're not going to iso for him and he's not going to take over a game, but he's the kind of guy where you look up at the end of the game and see he's filled up the stat sheet. Really gets on the glass for a 6-5 guy; effort to the extreme, willing to be physical, good second and third efforts. An above-average athlete at our level but not a high flyer. He did take a big leap offensively this year, particularly with perimeter shooting. The jumper’s a little stiff and I didn't think he'd ever develop into a marksman, but he was good for us this year. Defensively, he was probably or best or second best perimeter defender, often marking the opposition’s top non PG scorer.

High character kid. Will give you everything he has. I think he can definitely play a role there as a sixth or seventh guy, maybe even cracking the starting lineup. Our top dog from 2018-19 transferred to Rutgers and averaged 10 and 5 in 24 minutes this year, and I could see something similar from Elijah. Other America East guys have hung in there OK (Calixte at Oklahoma, Cremo at Villanova, Nichols at Florida State, et al).

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back