Elijah Moore commits to Georgia

I keep hearing posters talking about roster spots or saving the scholly for another position...Aren't we between 8 and 10 below the max 85 right now?

Yes, but only 25 per year. I would have taken him if it were an option - just because a bird in hand, and all that.

Advertisement
I keep hearing posters talking about roster spots or saving the scholly for another position...Aren't we between 8 and 10 below the max 85 right now?

Yes, but only 25 per year. I would have taken him if it were an option - just because a bird in hand, and all that.

But we haven't been signing full classes for the past few years. And I thought early enrollees count toward the previous years when you sign less than a full class.

But we haven't been signing full classes for the past few years. And I thought early enrollees count toward the previous years when you sign less than a full class.

we're at 73 basically, but because our senior class is so small, we still wouldnt be able to take a full class for 2018 without some attrition from non-seniors.

we could sign up to 28 this year, depending on player movement from the juniors and below.

Advertisement

So @ajkreider and [MENTION=8225]ilovelamp51[/MENTION] are the same porster....hmmmmm....interesting.

Seriously, what's up with that???

We actually have signed pretty close to full classes for all years.

Remember, even when we SELF-REDUCED scholarships, we also reduced our numbers on Initial Counters. Some have tried to argue that because the final NCAA penalties did not specify that we had to reduce BOTH scholarships AND Initial Counters that we can go back and recalculate all the math. We cannot. Any reduction in ICs that we took on our own, before the end of the NCAA investigation, cannot be "reclaimed" with the benefit of hindsight.

We have already made a grayshirt offer to a long-snapper. I feel very confident that the coaches have all the IC calculations down pat.

Derek Dohrman thinks we can get to 28, I think we can only get to 26 (unless we get a mid-year graduation exception), but I'm not going to argue with DD. The issue is twofold: first, what can we do, under the IC rules, to get back to 85 RECRUITED scholarship players (i.e., not including walk-ons). And, second, how can we manage IC numbers so that even when we do reach 85, we are not stuck with a year that we can only take 18 or 20 guys. And that second part involves taking 26-28 guys now who might not all be incoming freshmen (i.e., transfers, grad transfers, JuCo, etc.).

I will trust the coaches to do the best they can with the IC rules. I realize it "sounds great" that we might take 28 freshmen, but the reality is that you start hitting a point where the final guys in your class start to worry about the numbers being taken at their particular positions. You have to stagger things a bit with transfers/JuCos so that guys feel like they have a legitimate chance to compete.

And, sure, some posters will talk tough about how true Canes want to compete, etc., but we have to recognize that some very good programs are telling a lot of these kids that they can play right away at other places, and sometimes that has an impact.

Advertisement
Have to think that one of Malik or Sherriff will bolt giving us a spot.

We don't need them to bolt, we need them to GRADUATE. Mid-year graduates can be replaced under the IC rules. Players who leave early due to playing time cannot be replaced under the IC rules.

Advertisement
Have to think that one of Malik or Sherriff will bolt giving us a spot.

We don't need them to bolt, we need them to GRADUATE. Mid-year graduates can be replaced under the IC rules. Players who leave early due to playing time cannot be replaced under the IC rules.

How many scholarship QB's does the average team have vs what we have now?

It seems like the number is almost always 4. There may be a walk-on or an injured redshirt in the mix, but I don't think I've ever seen a team go to a "fifth stringer" who was actually signed as a QB, it's usually a guy who "played QB in high school", but changed positions.

Three is too few. Five...you see it sometimes, but someone usually transfers out.

Advertisement
Most college programs have 4 QB and 12 WR on scholarship. We currently have 4 and 10 on scholarship with 1 QB and 3 WR on the way. Only senior is Berrios, so the math is about right.

I liked this kid. I would have been fine with him as the 4th wr. At least he hasn't run away from competition like that erkel NOTRE dame nerd that transferred to play 1a ball.

Advertisement
Back