Elijah Mccantos

gogeta4

All-ACC
Am i missing something?.

Locally he is a kid that stand out to me...I always had him around the 2nd tier of dbs locally in this class. He just sticks out to me as a kid that heads elsewhere mid major type typ[e school and is all conference (Rashad Fenton style)

what are yall thoughts and would you guys mind in the class if a guy like Spells goes elsewhere...and we dont land a Fegans/Singletary?.

@DMoney @HighSeas @Liberty City El

Last edited:
Advertisement
Am i missing something?.

Locally he is a kid that stand out to me...I always had him around the 2nd tier of dbs locally in this class. He just sticks out to me as a kid that heads elsewhere mid major type typ[e school and is all conference (Rashad Fenton style)

what are yall thoughts and would you guys mind in the class if a guy like Spells goes elsewhere...and we dont land a Fegans/Singletary?.

@DMoney @HighSeas @Liberty City El

Gonna get a chance in front of the coaches at Paradise.

Ehhh super grabby…3rd video his INT came off a poor throw and I guess his best highlights were that against a TE who got thrown poor balls…

2nd video was very ehhhh

Advertisement
If it doesn't work out with Singletary, Fegans, Little, Spells, Graves, or Henderson, then maybe we're choosing from among McCantos, James Monds III, and Jaquise Alexander. I hope it doesn't come to that. In T-Rob I trust.

Love the way this kid competes. Much like DMoney, I noticed him from the Under Armour camp. That was the camp where Manny Diaz showed up and got a close view to the players. He was one of the ones that lined up against Innis and Jalen Brown, that says something about him because other guys (some that we're recruiting) chose to sit on the bench and watch. He's also a kid that works hard on his craft so I'm confident he can clean up his flaws.

Another guy that I think is very underrated is Brian Dilworth, the former Auburn commit at Chaminade. He lined up on the other side of Ryan Turner but IMO outplayed him. His recruitment has been very quiet since decommitting. Not the fastest but definitely a DB that has the type of ball skills that we're prioritizing. Hope he and McCantos both get a shot to compete at Paradise Camp

Spring

Junior season

I think he's flying under the radar because he's physically underdeveloped and his highlights don't have wow plays as he doesn't have great explosion or ball skills.

If you believe he can add mass AND get faster and more explosive, which I do, then there's a lot to like. He's confident in press with sound eyes and feet to mirror, and his pedal is fluid and smooth in off-man. So yeah he has the potential to be an excellent cover corner in any scheme but he'll need to improve at the catch point.

I haven't watched the other guys so I can't say who I like better. But seeing Mullen now multiple times in 1on1s I definitely like McCantos better. And I'm again reminded how Lathan and Bissainthe can't move laterally.

If it doesn't work out with Singletary, Fegans, Little, Spells, Graves, or Henderson, then maybe we're choosing from among McCantos, James Monds III, and Jaquise Alexander. I hope it doesn't come to that. In T-Rob I trust.
I’d put him under Mullen as well

Advertisement
I think there was an article not too long ago that said if he gets the offer at Paradise then he is committing. We have better options that hopefully get on board but not a bad plan B.

I think we may be looking at another transfer CB as well with 3 or 4 years to play. That may play in to the numbers. I’m not gonna name names though because the kid hasn’t hit the portal yet and want to be respectful of that but just saying from a numbers perspective it’s something to think about

I think we may be looking at another transfer CB as well with 3 or 4 years to play. That may play in to the numbers. I’m not gonna name names though because the kid hasn’t hit the portal yet and want to be respectful of that but just saying from a numbers perspective it’s something to think about
Episode 2 Wait GIF by ABC Network

Advertisement
I think he's flying under the radar because he's physically underdeveloped and his highlights don't have wow plays as he doesn't have great explosion or ball skills.

If you believe he can add mass AND get faster and more explosive, which I do, then there's a lot to like. He's confident in press with sound eyes and feet to mirror, and his pedal is fluid and smooth in off-man. So yeah he has the potential to be an excellent cover corner in any scheme but he'll need to improve at the catch point.

I haven't watched the other guys so I can't say who I like better. But seeing Mullen now multiple times in 1on1s I definitely like McCantos better. And I'm again reminded how Lathan and Bissainthe can't move laterally.
Yeah. Wesley for sure has issues laterally.

Agree with all you said.

I have Mccantos as a "developmental corner" who does have alot of texhnical.skill as he isnt really raw. I'm trying to remember but I dont think he us originally from south florida. I say that because most south florida born an bred CBS have no idea or no want to play off coverage in these type of events.

Also you confirmed my feelings with Lathan as well. He can run well in a straight line..but he hasnt shown he can cover all that well in these events and he isnt physical on film much. I haven't been that high as him as a defender...definitely not a lb..possibly a striker.
I seen Wes get beat some in one on ones bad..but then I seen some good stuff. But similar to ol coaching...south florida lb coaching is traaaaaaashh...most teams dont even have one. **** I coached on a team with probably the best s.fla lb a class ago and we didn't have a lb coach at all. Kid just ran the drills or worked with the other positions.

Except for all the holding calls he would get by grabbing the WR shirts he has a lot of potential and looks to have good speed and flips his hips well.

Advertisement
I’d put him under Mullen as well
Hes better than Mullen.

I coached against Mullen just last year. He didnt stand out at all..needs slot of physical development. **** our sophomore wr went up top on him..and ge had no chance with Kevin Knowles who isnt even a wr and we would put him in and throw him the ball EVERY time so it was obvious and he still could do nothing with him

Agree with all you said.

I have Mccantos as a "developmental corner" who does have alot of texhnical.skill as he isnt really raw. I'm trying to remember but I dont think he us originally from south florida. I say that because most south florida born an bred CBS have no idea or no want to play off coverage in these type of events.

Also you confirmed my feelings with Lathan as well. He can run well in a straight line..but he hasnt shown he can cover all that well in these events and he isnt physical on film much. I haven't been that high as him as a defender...definitely not a lb..possibly a striker.
I seen Wes get beat some in one on ones bad..but then I seen some good stuff. But similar to ol coaching...south florida lb coaching is traaaaaaashh...most teams dont even have one. **** I coached on a team with probably the best s.fla lb a class ago and we didn't have a lb coach at all. Kid just ran the drills or worked with the other positions.
Yeah his skill is pretty far along but physically he just looks like a kid who will have dramatic growth in college S&C/nutrition program. His frame is fine.

When I played I was essentially playing a Striker position and off-man on the #3/slot was a scary place to be pre-snap. Nobody coached me on coverage technique and I instinctively played catch technique so I could turn and run without having to worry about cushion and route breaks as much. The one time I went into a pedal I gave up a 10 yard easy completion right in front of me smh. Dorito would've been proud.

When Wes is right with his eyes he can cover cause he's quick in a straight line. It's when the back has a 2-way go and he's guessing that his lateral movement gets exposed. He can probably get away with it most of the time in zone or even man if he knows his leverage/help and anticipates the route. You don't see a lot of those Texas/option routes where a back gets iso'd on a LB until the NFL where guys like Kamara and Ekeler will punish you.

Yeah his skill is pretty far along but physically he just looks like a kid who will have dramatic growth in college S&C/nutrition program. His frame is fine.

When I played I was essentially playing a Striker position and off-man on the #3/slot was a scary place to be pre-snap. Nobody coached me on coverage technique and I instinctively played catch technique so I could turn and run without having to worry about cushion and route breaks as much. The one time I went into a pedal I gave up a 10 yard easy completion right in front of me smh. Dorito would've been proud.

When Wes is right with his eyes he can cover cause he's quick in a straight line. It's when the back has a 2-way go and he's guessing that his lateral movement gets exposed. He can probably get away with it most of the time in zone or even man if he knows his leverage/help and anticipates the route. You don't see a lot of those Texas/option routes where a back gets iso'd on a LB until the NFL where guys like Kamara and Ekeler will punish you.

Every time I seen him exposed it was the 2 way go and he was guessing and got played pretty bad. Then you would see backs or tes with out routes or go routes and wes is in the hip pocket like pat beverley.

Last edited:
To me he just doesnt have the hips or the long speed I like the size and physicality but without the former he would get cooked against the big time receivers in today's CFB. Dilworth I like but he doesnt have the length to play corner here imo.

Advertisement
Back