2024 Elija Lofton 4* TE from Bishop Gorman (aka Mini Brevin)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well said. I’m never going to crap on a kid for wanting to be a Cane. I just don’t see the reason for a two tight-end class, especially after we snagged Riley and Carver last cycle…and I don’t see Lofton as a TE1. So what’s it going to be?

Also @supacane forgot to respond but I always take off at least half an inch from measurables on a recruiting site. Not sure what Miami said he looked like in-person, but people fudge numbers all the time. Heck I’m just a tad over 6’1’’ and they let me put 6’3’’ for roster info.
I don't believe they ever looked at him as a potential TE1 or TE2. I think the staff sees him as a tough football savvy utility player who can fill a role at H-Back and give you different things depending on the game plan, formation etc. In Golden speak, think of Lofton as a highly functional/well rounded coal shoveler who also keeps the Bishop Gorman pipeline open.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Right. I’m going off what has been said in the thread.

I don’t know how that’s difficult to understand, unless you’re trying to not understand.
Ok. So you made your mind up on a kid, based on what some others on this board have said? Got it. I understand. We’re all in some ways, going on somebody else’s opinion. But I’m looking at film (albeit in most cases…highlights), apparent speed, hands, kinda competition he facing, and which school(s) have offered him a scholarship before I determine whether or not i like a recruit. And I will add, that some kids you can’t put in a box, based on measurements. Some kids are “boy dogs” and will become problems for the opps, no matter where they line up at. Just have to trust the guys that make these decisions for us, on which kids to offer.

Uhh

I don't believe they ever looked at him as a potential TE1 or TE2. I think the staff sees him as a tough football savvy utility player who can fill a role at H-Back and give you different things depending on the game plan, formation etc. In Golden speak, think of Lofton as a highly functional/well rounded coal shoveler who also keeps the Bishop Gorman pipeline open.
This could very well be the plan… but regardless, I like the offer.

Advertisement
NC State had a a guy in Jaylen Samuels that was awesome for them in the same mold as well. He was actually smaller than CJ Donaldson and him as well.

IMG_3656.jpeg

Advertisement
Here is an article about Lincoln Riley and HBacks that should answer your question:

Steve Sarkisian is a pretty good college mind, too, and that’s Lofton’s next visit if he doesn’t commit.

Moreover, I question why people keep saying Lofton is “physically limited.” Is it just because he’s 6’1? He tests well, he’s strong as an ox, and he’s coordinated with the ball in the air. That’s like saying Odom (who I love) is physically limited because he lacks explosive strength.

Lofton isn’t Daniel Calhoun or Kyle Cobia. He is a great athlete, a four-star, and can do multiple things athletically.
It’s probably the same ppl who said njoku brother evidence would be a good tight-end. Because he was 6’5 or 6’6 lol.

Advertisement
Advertisement
What do the great college offensive minds do? We shouldn’t be interested in trying to make an NFL offense work in college.

It just feels like adding players that are going to be physically limited, “tough” near the line of scrimmage guys, is the opposite direction of where Miami should be going in the future.
Nothing about his Film, production, or measurables exhibits a “physically limited or tough” near the LOS college player. In fact it screams the opposite. Does he lack the ideal height to be an early round NFL draft pick? Yes…. But his measurables entering his Sr year of HS are fine. Lofton is an alpha male football player as his film indicates, and the last I checked Miami’s roster can still use a few more Alpha males! If Miami was taking only 1 TE then I can see passing on Lofton at this point in the cycle. But he’s a take all day in a 2-3 TE class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back