Edit: Canes vs Dook Game Thread

IMO it was that sequence plus the one where Duke got 5 FTs in a row, one where two refs called jump ball but ended up a foul on us, and the other when it looked like Duke hit the ball out but they were awarded possession then we fouled the three-point shooter.

Last chance was when we missed a flurry of 3s near the very end. Don’t really count that except that every team we play makes unlimited 3s at the end smh so I guess we still had a chance.
In tournament play you must 3 all game long especially second half , we can’t 3 so you see the result.
NCAA tournament teams like Drake and IONA don’t care if there smaller they know they will sit on perimeters and 3.

Duke was bigger and physically better, let it BE and THREE we always seem to lack THREES in second half when needed.

FSU game exposed everything

Advertisement
When Omier went down it was over. He IS our inside presence. His rebounding, defending and offense is all that we have inside. Its our achilles heel this year. He is in fact the most important player to our cause. Without him we're going down maybe second round. We just don't have any depth at that position.

Omier is young though, he'll spring back in few days with a taped up ankle but he won't be spry again for a minute.

The officiating sucked as expected. There was a play that Lively bodied pack while he scored a layup and nothing from the officials. He got up limping.

I hated Duke in the past because of how good they were and their preferential treatment. Now I'm just starting to hate them. Somebody mentioned Duke seeing us as a rivalry game as being laughable...true. But games just need high stakes, repetition and a little controversy to become rivalrys. If we keep being good and staying right up in Dukes grill something could start.

Here are some takes on tonight's loss:

1. Omier going down was the worse thing that could've happened to this team. Hopefully, we can get him back in time for our next game. Will be tough to win without him.
1. Refs were bad. Just the usual crap from an ACC crew. That said we lost this game. Not the refs.
2. Biggest difference in this game was one team shot the ball well and the other team didn't. Duke shot lights out in the first half. We couldn't afford to lose Omier and not shoot well and expect to win. Not having Norchad also hurt us on the boards.
3. The substituting seemed a little off all night. Losing Omier early probably threw it out of whack, but I thought our staff should've given Casey a little more PT. He wasn't great, but was more impactful and looked like he was playing a lot better than Walker.
4. Pack seems off. His game and body language hasn't been the best in recent weeks. If I had to guess, he's probably playing hurt. No inside info. Just looks that way to me from where I'm sitting.
5. Good to see Wong have that kind of game after taking home ACCPOY. Going to need more of that from him moving forward.
6. Encouraged from some of the play from some of our younger players, particularly Joseph. Played balls to the wall on both ends. Was tenacious on D and knocked down open shots on O.

Looking forward to selection Sunday. I think this loss drops us to 5/6 seed. IMO I think we needed this win to secure 4 or better.
We shot 48.4 and 41.7 in the first half. That kept us in the game. Having to sit Wong with 2+ to close the half was the difference.

It is obvious Pack is not close to 100%. The kid is battling. Plus, he banged up his knee at the end but finished the game.

When Omier went down it was over. He IS our inside presence. His rebounding, defending and offense is all that we have inside. Its our achilles heel this year. He is in fact the most important player to our cause. Without him we're going down maybe second round. We just don't have any depth at that position.

Omier is young though, he'll spring back in few days with a taped up ankle but he won't be spry again for a minute.

The officiating sucked as expected. There was a play that Lively bodied pack while he scored a layup and nothing from the officials. He got up limping.

I hated Duke in the past because of how good they were and their preferential treatment. Now I'm just starting to hate them. Somebody mentioned Duke seeing us as a rivalry game as being laughable...true. But games just need high stakes, repetition and a little controversy to become rivalrys. If we keep being good and staying right up in Dukes grill something could start.
Outrebounded 36-24. Without Omier, we can't hang. This should not be a surprise to anyone who has watched this team. On to the Dance! Lunardi has us facing Rutgers and, if we win, Marquette. Tough draw.

No rebounds but plenty of tip outs. Getting the ball out of the paint or out to guards who got the board.

Hes a bigger body that blocked out and was really nice with help defense. He made Duke work inside. 1 gets lost in the wash and runs around like a chicken with his head cut off. Takes himself out the play.
If there’s one criticism of L this season, it’s that he’s preferred Walker’s experience over Casey’s potential. I get that Casey fell behind a bit with the shoulder injury, but overall he should’ve been playing more than he has been. Walker is a complete liability on both ends of the court.

Advertisement
Egregious calls off the top of my head. No research: 1. Jump ball foul on wong. 2. Pack out of bounds 3. Wong out of bounds 4. Duke throwing the ball into the 6th row after magically a foul was called on them 5. See number 4. They did it twice. 6. Casey steal foul 7. Lively knocked the ball out of bounds 8. Filipowski bulldozing walker.

That’s absolutely pathetic
One of the 3 point fouls on Wong was complete BS too. Oh, and so was the Wong flagrant foul.

Once Omier was hurt .... it solidified a Loss. We got smoked on the boards and in the key.
After that the ACC refs took over. There was that out of bounds call that should have been UMs ball and instead Duke was awarded a possesion and scored 3 ( 3 to 6 point diff). How does Dukes Big man not get a technical??
Our only consolation is watching Coach L doing his thing.

Outrebounded 36-24. Without Omier, we can't hang. This should not be a surprise to anyone who has watched this team. On to the Dance! Lunardi has us facing Rutgers and, if we win, Marquette. Tough draw.
We will struggle against Rutgers without Omier playing. They are pretty tough and scrappy.

One of these idiots at ESPN just said he isn't sure Omier getting hurt 1 minute in mattered. Lmao wtf? With him we win the game so yeah it mattered you clown show! If we lose with Omier then I can handle that. But losing by 7 without Omier or any help from the refs at all is impressive. Omier and pack rest up get healthy and we gonna make a deep run!
Don’t waste your time listening to dumb people.

Advertisement
Folks, injuries decide champions In every sport. if a team is not healthy it can’t win a championship, and when the injuries are to 2 of their best p[layers, Omier and Pack, ,there is a significant impact. The impact can’t be understated. Over the course of a season a team can make adjsutments but in a tournament setting injuries are the death knell.

I write all this because I hope we appreciated how hard and well UM p[layed yesterday against a motivated duke team. if we were completely healthy, with Pack and Omier, we win the game by 15. It is that simple.

Without Omier we aren’t making a deep run. It is that simple Because he is that good. Sometimes life sucks and this is one of those times. But we should never, never stop appreciating how great of a season this has been for UM or how much has been accomplished. It will unfortunately be one of those seasons that years later we will write, “If only we had been healthy we had a Final 4 team”.

If there’s one criticism of L this season, it’s that he’s preferred Walker’s experience over Casey’s potential. I get that Casey fell behind a bit with the shoulder injury, but overall he should’ve been playing more than he has been. Walker is a complete liability on both ends of the court.
Hard to say. Casey obviously - in L's mind - at this point is not as good as Walker. And, hasn't been worthy of more minutes since the ACC schedule began. We've seen so little of Casey, I'm not sure what his game or posituion is? A non-physical Small Forward maybe? Not what we needed against all the Duke height.

Folks, injuries decide champions In every sport. if a team is not healthy it can’t win a championship, and when the injuries are to 2 of their best p[layers, Omier and Pack, ,there is a significant impact. The impact can’t be understated. Over the course of a season a team can make adjsutments but in a tournament setting injuries are the death knell.

I write all this because I hope we appreciated how hard and well UM p[layed yesterday against a motivated duke team. if we were completely healthy, with Pack and Omier, we win the game by 15. It is that simple.

Without Omier we aren’t making a deep run. It is that simple Because he is that good. Sometimes life sucks and this is one of those times. But we should never, never stop appreciating how great of a season this has been for UM or how much has been accomplished. It will unfortunately be one of those seasons that years later we will write, “If only we had been healthy we had a Final 4 team”.
It was my fault , no lie a couple hours before the game I said to myself “ boy we’ve been very fortunate with injuries“. On my momma I said it lol. My bad luck is powerful.

Advertisement
Walker had no business being out there in the second half especially with Casey doing ok. Walker lost the game for us.... chucking unnecessary shots.. not boxing out

It was my fault , no lie a couple hours before the game I said to myself “ boy we’ve been very fortunate with injuries“. On my momma I said it lol. My bad luck is powerful.

As your punishment, go walk around UF's campus for an hour

He's incredibly one dimensional for a guy they went out and paid big money for
You guys do know he's playing on one leg right? He probably wouldn't be out there if it wasn't in the tournament. He missed the FSU game for a reason and he still isn't close to 100%.

Stunning how little our fans know about what is going on sometimes. Without Pack this team isn't 25-6. Not even close.

Advertisement
Coach sees these guys every day in practice. In his mind, Walker is less a liability than Casey. Based on size, Aire was the newcomer we really could have benefitted from playing. Unforunately, he's apparently far less ready than Casey.

Good points and I hope and pray you’re right but that looked bad and Omier seemed to know it was bad. Depends on the grade but that could be a grade 2 or 3 sprain which would make any kind of return this season tough.
Bad ligament injury can take longer to heal than a fracture.

We shot 48.4 and 41.7 in the first half. That kept us in the game. Having to sit Wong with 2+ to close the half was the difference.

It is obvious Pack is not close to 100%. The kid is battling. Plus, he banged up his knee at the end but finished the game.
We were down 5 at halftime. I seriously doubt the game was lost in the 1st half.

Advertisement
Back