Edgerrin James v. Terrell Davis HOF finalists

58straight

Junior
Both Edge and Terrell Davis are part of the 15 players named finalists for the hall of fame, they're the only two running backs in the group this year so i thought it would be cool to compare their numbers. I think james was over all more impressive with over 15 thousand yards from scrimmage for his career Davis is getting more recognition on NFL network though from those super bowls with John Elway and the big year he had over 2000 rushing yards.

Edgerrin James
Height: 6-0 Weight: 219 Age: 37
Born: 8/1/1978 Immokalee , FL
College: Miami (Fla.)
Experience: 11 Seasons
Carries- 3,028 12,246 yards 4.0 Avg. 80 TD's

433 receptions 3364 yards 11 TD's

Best year 2000- 1,709 yards 13 TD's

Terrell Davis
Height: 5-11 Weight: 210 Age: 43
Born: 10/28/1972 San Diego , CA
College: Georgia
Experience: 8 Seasons

Carries-1,655 7,607 yards 4.6 Avg 60 TD's

169 receptions 1280 yards 5 TD's

best year 1998- 2,008 yards 21 TD's

Advertisement
If davis never got injured it'd be hard to argue against him..but because of that I gotta go with EJ

i think both belong. ej was a great rb for years. td was special for 3 yrs. as a denver broncos and miami hurricanes fan i want both it. that said edge will go in first. td just didn't do it long enoungh.

there is another reason also. broncos just don't get in hall. they have 3 i believe, elway, sharpe and floyd little. thats it. gary zimmerman i think went in as a viking not a broncos.

If davis never got injured it'd be hard to argue against him..but because of that I gotta go with EJ

You can say that about both RBs..if EJ had not gotten hurt his 3rd year he was well on his way to being one of the greats in his era. He never was the same. Remember he lead the NFL in rushing his first 2 years years in the league. If TD had not gotten the same would have been said about him.

Seeing that the RB position will be a dying position soon..(the NFLs leading rusher this year only had 1300 yards rushing IIRC - Adrian Peterson) ....they might let guys like EJ and TD in on the back end of their careers. They will have to wait though thats for **** sure. They made Swann and Stallworth wait forever before they finally let them in.

Advertisement
Davis was almost impossible to bring down back in 2001 on my Sega Dreamcast.

Gotta go with him.

It's funny. People always talk about how good TD was before he got hurt. What about Edgerrin? He won the rushing title his first two years before he blew out his knee.

Edge has the more complete resume by far. And I also feel he was the more talented back in his prime, regardless of scheme.

Advertisement
It's funny. People always talk about how good TD was before he got hurt. What about Edgerrin? He won the rushing title his first two years before he blew out his knee.

Edge has the more complete resume by far. And I also feel he was the more talented back in his prime, regardless of scheme.

He was also a great pass catching threat. I remember seeing James back in a post college RB skills competition where he killed everyone.

The sad thing is people will probably go with the clean cut guy

But EJ is the clear choice those stats are telling

You can say that about both RBs..if EJ had not gotten hurt his 3rd year he was well on his way to being one of the greats in his era. He never was the same. Remember he lead the NFL in rushing his first 2 years years in the league. If TD had not gotten the same would have been said about him.

Seeing that the RB position will be a dying position soon..(the NFLs leading rusher this year only had 1300 yards rushing IIRC - Adrian Peterson) ....they might let guys like EJ and TD in on the back end of their careers. They will have to wait though thats for **** sure. They made Swann and Stallworth wait forever before they finally let them in.

Also very true. Pretty **** difficult argument to be honest haha. Both were some of the best the game has seen

i think both belong. ej was a great rb for years. td was special for 3 yrs. as a denver broncos and miami hurricanes fan i want both it. that said edge will go in first. td just didn't do it long enoungh.

there is another reason also. broncos just don't get in hall. they have 3 i believe, elway, sharpe and floyd little. thats it. gary zimmerman i think went in as a viking not a broncos.

since you're a bronco fan how much of his production do you feel came from the system? i watch a lot of NFL and i remember those bronco teams late 90's and early 2000's produced a bunch of 1000 yard running backs, no doubt terrell was best of the bunch but it just seemed like he was an above average player in a perfect spot in a really good system for running backs that mike shanahan ran

Advertisement

since you're a bronco fan how much of his production do you feel came from the system? i watch a lot of NFL and i remember those bronco teams late 90's and early 2000's produced a bunch of 1000 yard running backs, no doubt terrell was best of the bunch but it just seemed like he was an above average player in a perfect spot in a really good system for running backs that mike shanahan ran

some not all. mike anderson got 1000 yds, orlando gary got 1000. but td was diffrent. he had a diffrent gear. yes the system got 1000 back yr in yr out. td was diffrent animal.

the gb superbowl to me sums up what made him special. he wasn't suppose to be fast but he outran guys when he found the hole. the system helped , that said td had this ability to make plays that gary and anderson didn't. he just seemed to come up big in big moments. that is how i feel at least.

yes the system was good to rb's , yes that oline with zimmerman,schlerth, nalen was excellent. yes elway to me is greatest qb all time. td was special. so was edge. if he hadn't got hurt td would of broke 2000 yds again. and may have record for yds in season. he was that good.

Edge all day. Without those two superbowls TD wouldn't even be mentioned. Don't forget edge was a dual threat as well. 433 receptions nice for a RB. I do believe they will make them wait, but only one other RB ahead of Edge all time is not in the HOF I think. Have to check

I've never viewed TD as a Hof. He had no longevity in his career.

He also played behind arguably the best ol ever, the Broncos literally put anybody at rb and they ran for 1000-1800 yds. David was a college backup , Gary was a backup and Mike Anderson was a big slow fb from Air Force.

I view James as being on the line , It could go either way and I wouldn't be rustled . Only reason I care a little is he's a cane

Last edited:
Advertisement
Longevity is part of greatness. Get TD out of my sight.

How many years did Gale S play? Brown retired at age 29.

Davis only played at a high level four years . The rest was 4-5 game seasons and one 8 game session.

I know Gale wasn't around long either and IMO he shouldn't be in.

It's kinda like Tracy Mcgrady, is he a hof'er, **** no. If he doesn't have injuries is he? **** yeah. After the inguries he was just a role player, you can't put him in for his 4-5 year run as an elite scorer.

Longevity is part of the deal

Last edited:
Untitled.jpg

EJ is a lock. The top rushers are all Hall of Famers (denoted by a + in the chart). There is a clear drop-off after #15-20 (these guys are still playing) and EJ is #11 .

NFL Career Rushing Yards Leaders | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Edit: CI needs to fix attachments. The image I made is not that small.

Advertisement
Back