Eden James

One of my former teammates and close boys is the DBs coach at Yale… he’s been recruiting his asss off.. Always rooting for them.
How is the team?
My buddy said the challenge at Yale was that you could not find 20 kids every year smart enough to be admitted and good enough at football. So, in his opinion, what they recruit every year are 6-8 really good football players + 12-14 guys who are OK and smart enough to also be admitted.

Advertisement
How is the team?
My buddy said the challenge at Yale was that you could not find 20 kids every year smart enough to be admitted and good enough at football. So, in his opinion, what they recruit every year are 6-8 really good football players + 12-14 guys who are OK and smart enough to also be admitted.
They didn’t have a season last year, year before they beat Harvard to win the league championship. I haven’t asked too much about the recruiting. Next time I get with him I’ll see. I’m pretty sure my boy locked up like 2-3 3 stars at DB which is impressive.

I mean he may know little bit more than I but I think if they were too be doing that it’s a little lazy on their end. I think there’s plenty of kids out there. I was talking to Harvard last year and they are easily the worst school I ever encountered in recruiting. But kids go there because obviously it’s Harvard. They basically want you to beg to get an offer. Told my boy at Yale that and he was like yeah that’s what a lot of kids say. Bunch of old heads who been there 20+ years with crazy egos.

They didn’t have a season last year, year before they beat Harvard to win the league championship. I haven’t asked too much about the recruiting. Next time I get with him I’ll see. I’m pretty sure my boy locked up like 2-3 3 stars at DB which is impressive.

I mean he may know little bit more than I but I think if they were too be doing that it’s a little lazy on their end. I think there’s plenty of kids out there. I was talking to Harvard last year and they are easily the worst school I ever encountered in recruiting. But kids go there because obviously it’s Harvard. They basically want you to beg to get an offer. Told my boy at Yale that and he was like yeah that’s what a lot of kids say. Bunch of old heads who been there 20+ years with crazy egos.
That’s funny I know someone on staff at Yale also and echoed the same stuff about getting players.

this is so true.

name ONE , and I mean ONE Hall of Fame player in the NFL who is also a HOF type head coach. In college or the NFL. I'll save you the trouble. There aren't any. ****, there aren't any you would classify as even "really good."

I will say this, though: I learned a ton as a player at Yale for Coach Cozza because that was his style. To treat the QB's like assistant coaches. It's why my two years with him as a QB coach after playing for him were so valuable. I didn't need to learn how to think and act like a coach, he'd already taught me how for four years. But he was a rare exception and why he's a legend.

Anyway, Coach Macho is right.

You don't play your way into coaching greatness, you think you way there.
Steve Spurrier college HOF version.

My buddy's kid played there, and reiterated same. You have to be SUPER smart, and they qualify the super smart because they play football. Otherwise they do not get in by regular standards.

Advertisement
this is so true.

name ONE , and I mean ONE Hall of Fame player in the NFL who is also a HOF type head coach. In college or the NFL. I'll save you the trouble. There aren't any. ****, there aren't any you would classify as even "really good."

I will say this, though: I learned a ton as a player at Yale for Coach Cozza because that was his style. To treat the QB's like assistant coaches. It's why my two years with him as a QB coach after playing for him were so valuable. I didn't need to learn how to think and act like a coach, he'd already taught me how for four years. But he was a rare exception and why he's a legend.

Anyway, Coach Macho is right.

You don't play your way into coaching greatness, you think you way there.

Mike Ditka.

What do you mean "close"? He was inducted as a player, and he doesn't need to be inducted separately as a coach, he is already a member. He certainly has HOF credentials as a head coach, very comparable to Jimmy Johnson (one less Super Bowl trophy).

And the HOF didn't start until the 1960s, otherwise George Halas would probably be in there for "both". Though, again, there is not a separate vote on a coach if he is ALREADY a Hall-of-Famer.

So you created a false challenge, one that can never be met, because coaches are NOT "separately voted on" based on their coaching careers when they are already Hall-of-Famers for their playing careers.

Ditka would be voted in as a coach if he had never played the game. But he doesn't need to be.

Advertisement
What do you mean "close"? He was inducted as a player, and he doesn't need to be inducted separately as a coach, he is already a member. He certainly has HOF credentials as a head coach, very comparable to Jimmy Johnson (one less Super Bowl trophy).

And the HOF didn't start until the 1960s, otherwise George Halas would probably be in there for "both". Though, again, there is not a separate vote on a coach if he is ALREADY a Hall-of-Famer.

So you created a false challenge, one that can never be met, because coaches are NOT "separately voted on" based on their coaching careers when they are already Hall-of-Famers for their playing careers.

Ditka would be voted in as a coach if he had never played the game. But he doesn't need to be.
Tom Landry is another one in that vein.
HOF coach, sure. But he was also an All-Pro with the Giants who had 32 interceptions in 80 career games (better interception per game rate than Ed Reed, though Ed played twice as many games).

Tom Landry is another one in that vein.
HOF coach, sure. But he was also an All-Pro with the Giants who had 32 interceptions in 80 career games (better interception per game rate than Ed Reed, though Ed played twice as many games).

Yeah, I agree, though Landry's career as a player was probably a bit too short to make the HOF.

I still go back to my earlier point, though, which is that "players" and "coaches" are NOT separately voted into the HOF, at least when we are talking about the same person. This is not the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame where people get in for their work in a "band" and as a "solo performer".

Last edited:
We gave AJ Highsmith, Jared Campbell & Ray Lewis III offers, this kid is easily ****ting on all 3 of them. Depending on how numbers work out I would bring him in
This is the issue. The other legacy kids didn’t run for 9 million yards against very good heritage team with guys we all wish we’re coming to Miami. The kid has game. It’s not the legacy issue it’s which legacy kids we bring in. We need to start recruiting the guys who have that dog in them regardless if stars

Advertisement
This is the issue. The other legacy kids didn’t run for 9 million yards against very good heritage team with guys we all wish we’re coming to Miami. The kid has game. It’s not the legacy issue it’s which legacy kids we bring in. We need to start recruiting the guys who have that dog in them regardless if stars
We’ve tried that approach and it doesn’t work. Star chasing is not always accurate but it’s pretty **** close. Elite of the elites aren’t signing a bunch of dogs below a 4 star grade. There’s a reason why they are winning and we are where we are. Big gaps in talent.

I do agree that you need to take a chance on a couple kids like this every year, but you can’t expect to win at the elite level if this is your main recruiting approach.

We’ve tried that approach and it doesn’t work. Star chasing is not always accurate but it’s pretty **** close. Elite of the elites aren’t signing a bunch of dogs below a 4 star grade. There’s a reason why they are winning and we are where we are. Big gaps in talent.

I do agree that you need to take a chance on a couple kids like this every year, but you can’t expect to win at the elite level if this is your main recruiting approach.
Agreed

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back