Eden James

So they’re incompetent because if any coach think that way they’re incompetent. There’s a reason you put pads on and play and if a coach from AH is taking it easy against TC then that explains why a lot of AH guys bust or are underdeveloped. Players take on the personalities of their coaches.
Heritage's defense has been worked by offenses with inferior talent several times.
Ponte Vedra and Eau Gallie are a couple games that come to mind.

South Florida coaching = rely on your athletes

When it's time to line-up differently or defend a specific concept (i.e. Wing-T) they always struggle.
That's why MNW gets worked every time they leave the area and play an OC who has a clue. (i.e. giving up a 50 burger to fvckin' Venice)

Advertisement
Macho obviously you have forgotten more about football than I will ever know. But I just find it hard to believe that a guy like pat surtain sr who was in the league for a decade and was a pro bowl guy I think can’t properly prepare his defense? I get that your practice time is limited but still
What does being in the NFL have to do with coaching though?
How does playing CB in the NFL prepare you to defend the Wing-T?

Lets not act like Paul Johnson didn't rip college teams with that triple option offense. Its hard to prepare kids for who are used to playing against conventional offenses. We got ripped for 472 yards in 08, and Shannon had to practice with 3 balls to get us used to defending it, and he never lost to GT again.
Man listen...

We played Treasure Coast in a scrimmage at Keiser College last month. WITH NO FILM.
Just showed up and played, like a **** pick-up game.

And we smoked them.
I don't think they even got a 1st down.
(granted they didn't have James, but that wouldn't have mattered)

Unless Treasure Coast added a bunch of new kids since then, there's no excuse for Heritage to put-up such a poor performance.

What does being in the NFL have to do with coaching though?
How does playing CB in the NFL prepare you to defend the Wing-T?
Well obviously I don’t have first hand knowledge but I assumed that being around the game that long at the highest level he’d have picked up some things from good defensive minds. Just a thought lol. But I guess not.

Well obviously I don’t have first hand knowledge but I assumed that being around the game that long at the highest level he’d have picked up some things from good defensive minds. Just a thought lol. But I guess not.
I think you underestimate the arrogance that lives within ex-NFL guys who now coach high school. They're generally not looking to "pick up" anything from anybody and they seldom embrace the grind of coaching high school football. (at least the learning part of it)
They're the LAST guys to seek help/advice or a schematic edge from other coaches.
Meanwhile the guys who didn't play beyond D3 college ball are the ones who go to all the coaching clinics, network with other HS coaches from across the country, study guys above them, etc etc etc.

Anybody who's ever played ball for a long time, and at a high level, can tell you that they didn't actually learn the details of the game until they started coaching. Looking back, I didn't know **** when I was playing, I was just doing what I was told.

Advertisement
I think you underestimate the arrogance that lives within ex-NFL guys who now coach high school. They're generally not looking to "pick up" anything from anybody and they seldom embrace the grind of coaching high school football. (at least the learning part of it)
They're the LAST guys to seek help/advice or a schematic edge from other coaches.
Meanwhile the guys who didn't play beyond D3 college ball are the ones who go to all the coaching clinics, network with other HS coaches from across the country, study guys above them, etc etc etc.

Anybody who's ever played ball for a long time, and at a high level, can tell you that they didn't actually learn the details of the game until they started coaching. Looking back, I didn't know **** when I was playing, I was just doing what I was told.
Well that makes sense

Lot of truth in this. Goes for other sports as well

Heritage's defense has been worked by offenses with inferior talent several times.
Ponte Vedra and Eau Gallie are a couple games that come to mind.

South Florida coaching = rely on your athletes

When it's time to line-up differently or defend a specific concept (i.e. Wing-T) they always struggle.
That's why MNW gets worked every time they leave the area and play an OC who has a clue. (i.e. giving up a 50 burger to fvckin' Venice)
MNW runs like a 5-2 defense and mans up behind it....BASICALLY what u said...rely on athletes.

One of the worst losses they had was when i was in high school and they allowed Brandon Merriweather and his ol barely tipping 230 pds to run over them and win states.
Heritage 100% went in to that game thinking we will just line up and win.

Advertisement

this is so true.

name ONE , and I mean ONE Hall of Fame player in the NFL who is also a HOF type head coach. In college or the NFL. I'll save you the trouble. There aren't any. ****, there aren't any you would classify as even "really good."

I will say this, though: I learned a ton as a player at Yale for Coach Cozza because that was his style. To treat the QB's like assistant coaches. It's why my two years with him as a QB coach after playing for him were so valuable. I didn't need to learn how to think and act like a coach, he'd already taught me how for four years. But he was a rare exception and why he's a legend.

Anyway, Coach Macho is right.

You don't play your way into coaching greatness, you think you way there.

this is so true.

name ONE , and I mean ONE Hall of Fame player in the NFL who is also a HOF type head coach. In college or the NFL. I'll save you the trouble. There aren't any. ****, there aren't any you would classify as even "really good."

I will say this, though: I learned a ton as a player at Yale for Coach Cozza because that was his style. To treat the QB's like assistant coaches. It's why my two years with him as a QB coach after playing for him were so valuable. I didn't need to learn how to think and act like a coach, he'd already taught me how for four years. But he was a rare exception and why he's a legend.

I think Ditka is in the HOF as a player and separately as a coach. But your point is very accurate that great players are rarely great coaches.

this is so true.

When did you play at Yale? My best friend from high school played at Yale from 89-93. Starting d-end for 3 years.

So true.

Just because you played in the nfl doesn’t mean you know a lot about football or coaching. You pretty much know your assignment or job. The arrogance is also true, they think that resume having former nfl player means they’re without reproach or know everything. I’ve actually had conversations with former d1 players , nfl players and was amazed at how much they really don’t know lol. It’s shocking.

Advertisement
this is so true.

I always said...
Developing good players is one thing... But not everybody we coach can play at the next level.
I take a lot of pride in developing future coaches! Kids that understand the details of the game.

My kids at Deerfield know that we have a saying on defense...

"We don't just teach you WHAT to do, we teach you WHY we do it."

Every kid on defense can finish that sentence for me when I start it. I say it almost every day.

My LB's and DL know exactly why we lined-up in Odd Tite so much last week. I even send them articles about Odd Tite and how/why it's being utilized in college football. I want them to know that we're not just out here improvising and making up BS schemes... This is advanced stuff.
It's one thing to hear your HS coach talk about a scheme, but it's another thing to see Kirby Smart, Nick Saban or Dave Aranda talk about it. Coach Macho could be a slapd!ck for all they know, but they KNOW who THOSE coaches are.

I always said...
Developing good players is one thing... But not everybody we coach can play at the next level.
I take a lot of pride in developing future coaches! Kids that understand the details of the game.

Every kid on defense can finish that sentence for me when I start it. I say it almost every day.

My LB's and DL know exactly why we lined-up in Odd Tite so much last week. I even send them articles about Odd Tite and how/why it's being utilized in college football. I want them to know that we're not just out here improvising and making up BS schemes... This is advanced stuff.
It's one thing to hear your HS coach talk about a scheme, but it's another thing to see Kirby Smart, Nick Saban or Dave Aranda talk about it. Coach Macho could be a slapd!ck for all they know, but they KNOW who THOSE coaches are.
OT: Had an MBA teacher that always ended class saying, "If you know WHAT you're doing, you'll always have a job. If you know WHY you're doing it, you'll always be the boss." The difference is always the WHY; great saying that can be applied to many things.

Advertisement
I always said...

This is why I hated my HS corches. I knew every page of the playbook and could play every position (played a ton of them as a backup). YET, they never would teach WHY because they were slapd!cks. Knowing the WHY in life is so much more important than knowing the WHAT.

Last edited:
Ahhh .... we didn't overlap.

But ... "here's a cheer for Eli's men!"

:):):)
Great school. My buddy’s last home game was fall of ‘92 against Princeton so i flew up to watch. I had a great time that weekend.
Funny story from that. The following fall I started law school at Emory and met a Yale tennis player my first day. I called my high school buddy and he told me the tennis player was a good guy. He is one of my best friends to this day.
The 2nd day of law school the tennis player introduced me to Yale baseball player and we were roommates for our 2nd and 3rd years of law school.
I have nothing but love for Yale.

Great school. My buddy’s last home game was fall of ‘92 against Princeton so i flew up to watch. I had a great time that weekend.
Funny story from that. The following fall I started law school at Emory and met a Yale tennis player my first day. I called my high school buddy and he told me the tennis player was a good guy. He is one of my best friends to this day.
The 2nd day of law school the tennis player introduced me to Yale baseball player and we were roommates for our 2nd and 3rd years of law school.
I have nothing but love for Yale.
Ahhh .... we didn't overlap.

But ... "here's a cheer for Eli's men!"

:):):)
One of my former teammates and close boys is the DBs coach at Yale… he’s been recruiting his asss off.. Always rooting for them.

Advertisement
Back