Eddie Nunez track record

So he should only get credit for his time at the top? He had 14 years in management roles at LSU and it means nothing? But sure, judge him completely off his record at a crappy school with a tiny budget.
A great assistant doesn't always make a great boss, A great sales rep rarely makes a great sales manager so you can be one and not the other. For example Dan Mullen is considered an amazing offensive Coordinator but when he had the chance to run the whole show then not so much.

Advertisement
I’m not going to advocate for this guy one way or the other. I have no clue who the **** he is. But he’s at NEW MEXICO in the MWC. How many blue chippers are clamoring to go to NEW MEXICO? In the MWC? I have no idea what their FB budget is and I ain’t looking it up, but I would imagine at a place like NEW MEXICO, it’s a drop in the bucket compared even to the tight asses at the U.

Take off the blinders and look at the totality of the situation.

I’m not going to advocate for this guy one way or the other. I have no clue who the **** he is. But he’s at NEW MEXICO in the MWC. How many blue chippers are clamoring to go to NEW MEXICO? In the MWC? I have no idea what their FB is budget and I ain’t looking it up, but I would imagine at a place like NEW MEXICO, it’s a drop in the bucket compared even to the tight asses at the U.

Take off the blinders and look at the totality of the situation.
Every School in that division lacks blue chippers yet they seem to figure out how to get wins.

A great assistant doesn't always make a great boss, A great sales rep rarely makes a great sales manager so you can be one and not the other. For example Dan Mullen is considered an amazing offensive Coordinator but when he had the chance to run the whole show then not so much.
I'm very well aware of that, but I'm also aware that the University of New Mexico is largely a ****show with a tiny budget and the last two season have impacted all sports, especially in states with lockdowns.

So I starting wondering why Miami would want Eddie Nunez other than the fact he's from Miami. I think it's only fair to judge an AD the same way as a coach so I looked at New Mexico's football team in what is one of the weakest divisions in Football to see how they have faired after Eddie was hired.
Conference , Overall
... Wins Losses , Wins Losses
2021 1 - 7 , 3 - 9
2020 2 - 5 , 2 - 5
2019 0 - 8 , 2 - 10
2018 1 - 7 , 3 - 9
2017 1 - 7 , 3 - 9

This shows absolutely no progress at all.

The year before he was hired the Lobos were 6-2 in conference and 9-4 overall

Nunez is the genius that hired Danny Gonzalez (5-14 record) as head coach of the Lobos and all that coach has done is turn a promising football program into the laughing stock of the Mountain West.

In Short Nunez has been a Terrible AD for New Mexico with a Bad coaching hire and total inaction on correcting the issue. If we hire him you can almost guarantee Manny stays and Miami will be plunged into another decade of mediocrity.

This is an ridiculously simplistic take.

Advertisement
Were they better before him?

Are they worse after him?

I thought we were going to expect more this go around.

Youre making excuses for a terrible candidate.
No, I'm suggesting that there might be additional factors other than simply win-loss ratios.

Stop putting other peoples words in my mouth. I said long term W-L records matter for evaluating an AD.

I said New Mexico was not a permanent football bottom dweller before Nunez - since they finished 1st and second in their division the 2 years before Nunez arrived.

I did not say being an assistant doesn’t mean ****.

I said being a basketball guy who was involved in the hire of a dirty basketball coach at LSU (as an assistant in the AD) is a bad look.
They were absolutely a bottom dweller minus two good seasons in football. You'd have to go back to Rockie Long to find consistent average success. By that I mean 6 win seasons

I'm very well aware of that, but I'm also aware that the University of New Mexico is largely a ****show with a tiny budget and the last two season have impacted all sports, especially in states with lockdowns.
which is why I mentioned they are in one of the weakest divisions in all of football yet they are still one of the worse teams of the bunch.

Advertisement
Every School in that division lacks blue chippers yet they seem to figure out how to get wins.
Might be because other schools are named Air Force, Boise State or San Diego State, programs that dont have financial problems.

No, I'm suggesting that there might be additional factors other than simply win-loss ratios.
Thats what ADs are judged upon at major universities.

If we are serious this time we shouldn't even entertain nunez.

Why did we fire blake? Because fundraising or losing games?

Advertisement
I don't really know much about Athletic Directors in general, nor what they actually do, and I think a lot of people here have no ******* idea either but pretend they do.

I know one thing we definitely have to consider is coaching hires, and coaching hires have to be looked at in two ways: How they looked at the time and how they performed. For instance, let's look at the Danny Gonzales hire, which obviously hasn't created much on field success.

Good piece by Feldman at the time, when Davie was leaving: https://theathletic.com/1410498/2019/11/26/new-mexico-lobos-head-coach-job-opening-profile-football/

One thing it talked about in the article that I didn't know (and I guarantee OP doesn't know **** about either) is that UNM, which has to get its talent from elsewhere because there is none in-state, suffered a big blow when Arizona cut funding to JUCO football, one of its main talent pipelines. I don't think that is in the AD's control and certainly would impact the ability to win.

Anyway, Davie got them to a couple of bowl games in roughly 10 years there, the most success the program had since Rocky Long (who the real ones on this board respect the **** out of) was there. So when Davie's time was up, New Mexico went for fruit from the Rocky Long tree and ended up with Danny Gonzales. This is what was said about Gonzales the candidate:

Many people in the profession believe this search starts with Arizona State defensive coordinator Danny Gonzales. The 43-year-old Gonzales is a former New Mexico player (1994-98) and coach (1999-2008). He stuck with Long at San Diego State, helping lead one of the best defenses in the country, and has spent the past two years at Arizona State. He has all the connections, but the question is: Does he want the job? That’s not clear yet.

Other guys tipped as potential candidates by Feldman at the time were a couple of Alabama position coaches, Marcus Arroyo, Graham Harrell and Matt Canada (both of which were just kind of tossed in there as potential people that COULD get involved) and then two retread fliers (Rich Rod and Todd Graham). Assuming that roughly half of those names were probably never realistic, I'm not sure that the Gonzales hire wasn't the best option they had at the time. I guess theoretically Harrell might have been better, but he wasn't a proven commodity either. Rich Rod...who knows.

Gonzales seemed a good fit, although I would hope that it doesn't signal a "we need someone who has played here / knows the program" mentality from Nunez, because that's been a problem for us forever.

Anyway, just thought a bit of clear analysis might be warranted. I couldn't really care less about any particular candidate, I just want them to can Manny, hire Lane or Mario and give them money to hire a good staff.

Thats what ADs are judged upon at major universities.

If we are serious this time we shouldn't even entertain nunez.

Why did we fire blake? Because fundraising or losing games?
Because Blake was an idiot who had no clue about what to do, threw his coach under the bus and had a slimy attitude that rubbed people the wrong way.

Advertisement
which is why I mentioned they are in one of the weakest divisions in all of football yet they are still one of the worse teams of the bunch.
And it's been that way for a long time, except for what? two seasons?

Maybe football isn't their priority because of hiring Alonzo? Maybe Nunez is a red herring. All I'm saying is that Nunez isn't the worst choice we could get. Hernandez just might be though.

"It's New Mexico bro no one wins there."

"It's Temple bro no one wins there."

Be careful....

1638377600250.jpeg

Advertisement
Back