Eddie Nunez track record

Are you saying that being Musk's second in command wouldn't be a selling point?

Sure but do you see musks 2nd in command taking the head job at hertz rental cars? No if hes good he goes to lets say ford or chevy in a head roll.

Nunez went from lsu to new mexico. They have declined under his watch.

Advertisement
I keep going back to my Mike Bohn example. His two coaching hires at Colorado (which might as well be Alabama compared to New Mexico) had a combined .244 winning percentage during his time there. That's OVERALL, not in conference play.

He eventually found his way to USC and just pulled off one of the biggest coaching hire coup's in recent memory in hiring Lincoln Riley and is being celebrated nationally. Oh, and he hired Luke Fickell at Cincy. Right now, he might be the alpha AD in college athletics.

New Mexico has a historic football winning percentage of .445. I don't think anyone is going to fair better in the role and I have zero issues with a young AD wanting to his teeth - especially with how difficult it is to land a top gig in the business.

Nunez is a basketball guy and was involved with a pretty awful hoops hire at LSU.

I’d be maybe ok with him if he were paired with Alonzo to manage football… but he is super unimpressive and would be a very disappointing hire.
What was bad about the hoops hire?

@JayCane20 knows more about this **** than about 98% of all of the posters combined and he put it perfectly.

The fact that you continue to ignore it says it all.
I mean I've been contracted by about 10 schools, mostly in support of larger firms (so far) and worked with ADs related to budget and resources and consulting and working with athletic departments and banks to finance facilities upgrades, projects, and athletic departments in general in the last 2.5 years. SEC, Sun Belt, SoCon, MAC, etc.

I also worked for RSM and was on the engagement auditing UM's financials.... and in comparison with most schools, including multiple Group of 5 athletic departments, we are behind. Who gives a rats *** about an ADs Wins and Losses when you need someone to bring you up to speed with everyone else in all of these other areas - the primary focus of the AD better be just that - and let an expert, like Alonzo, make decisions in regards to football operations/hires/recruiting/etc.

It's been my forte, almost by accident, since I started consulting. What do I know, though.

Met a lot of people in athletic administration and actually talked to a few this week but none know much about this Nunez guy so I'm trying to avoid making any actual assumption about him.

Advertisement
He hired a new coach a year after he arrived.. All you have to do is use Google, it's your friend
My google shows 15 winning seasons in the last 50 years, best record being that 9 win season of Bob Davies… what google are you using?

At this point I have to assume you're a teenager or someone living with their mom so I'm going to move on from trying to explain life to you anymore.
Selling lemonade on the street does not make you a boss, now go back trying to figure out how Google works.

Advertisement
so I'm trying to avoid making any actual assumption about him.
Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Do you know who his second in command is? That's the point, you don't unless you google it because they are only doing what he's envisioning. Maybe one day his second in command will run the whole show but if he does and then tanks his company nobody will say "but but but but Elon liked him so he must be good".
So he should only get credit for his time at the top? He had 14 years in management roles at LSU and it means nothing? But sure, judge him completely off his record at a crappy school with a tiny budget.

AD’s are only as good as their resources. That’s just facts. There’s a few exceptions but the proof is in the pudding.

I do like Nunez is an actual athlete , I remember him from his UF days as a hooper. He is a gator which sucks but I know he really impressed in his interviews. Him with Alonzo would be an enormous upgrade over the human Tampon Blake James. Especially since there’s more money going to football. Nunez could be the choice but I would t be shocked if another name was chosen and people are like “ who “ or where did that come from”?
Exactly. It's just funny none of you guys can name Bama's AD or Clemson's AD but act like hiring Nunez or anyone not named Jurich is a massive failure. Just remember anything is an upgrade over Blake James.

Advertisement
So he should only get credit for his time at the top? He had 14 years in management roles at LSU and it means nothing? But sure, judge him completely off his record at a crappy school with a tiny budget.
Were they better before him?

Are they worse after him?

I thought we were going to expect more this go around.

Youre making excuses for a terrible candidate.

Oh now he was involved in a hire at LSU? Thought he was an assistant and that doesnt mean ****?

Stop putting other peoples words in my mouth. I said long term W-L records matter for evaluating an AD.

I said New Mexico was not a permanent football bottom dweller before Nunez - since they finished 1st and second in their division the 2 years before Nunez arrived.

I did not say being an assistant doesn’t mean ****.

I said being a basketball guy who was involved in the hire of a dirty basketball coach at LSU (as an assistant in the AD) is a bad look.

Advertisement
Were they better before him?

Are they worse after him?

I thought we were going to expect more this go around.

Youre making excuses for a terrible candidate.
Have you found some actual evidence as to what part is Nunez fault? Or do you just want to keep using the same shtick to show everyone that you **** yourself and need a diaper change?

Stop putting other peoples words in my mouth. I said long term W-L records matter for evaluating an AD.

I said New Mexico was not a permanent football bottom dweller before Nunez - since they finished 1st and second in their division the 2 years before Nunez arrived.

I did not say being an assistant doesn’t mean ****.

I said being a basketball guy who was involved in the hire of a failed basketball coach at LSU (as an assistant in the AD) is a bad look.
New Mexico had an average and a good season in 11 years. Thats it. Thats being permanent football bottom. the fact they collapsed with the same coach should tell, no, scream you that.

Advertisement
Back