Eddie Goldman

Advertisement
Seriously..who gives a **** where the players are from as long as they are good players ?

We're in South Florida...why do we need to go to Maryland for an athlete? That is my question in regards to Diggs. No disrespect to the kids talents...Percy Harvin was from Virginia, but...just don't see the need to throw resources at such a long shot athlete when in Florida, you can get athletes down here.

DC might be the second best football city besides Miami and the players are very similar. They start young and play with a ton of confidence. Would love to start pulling kids from there.

You know where I'd like to pull some kids...

South Florida.

THis

We're in South Florida...why do we need to go to Maryland for an athlete? That is my question in regards to Diggs. No disrespect to the kids talents...Percy Harvin was from Virginia, but...just don't see the need to throw resources at such a long shot athlete when in Florida, you can get athletes down here.

DC might be the second best football city besides Miami and the players are very similar. They start young and play with a ton of confidence. Would love to start pulling kids from there.

LA county might have something to say about this, Houston too for that matter.

I live in DC and go to games here and there. Excellent football. Rivals SoFla.

Advertisement
Goldman is the more critical recruit and we have been told all season that he was going to be a tough pull, after a 6-6 season and pending sanctions may be impossible, but get the official visit and try and turn the kid.

I'd put Atlanta football ahead of DC.

As for Diggs, I agree with Larry. No point in burning resources on a wr/s prospect when you can't walk 5 feet in SoFla without bumping into one.

As for Goldman, he holds all the cards. Miami looks like crap right now, there's still a threat of sanctions, and I can't blame this kid for wanting to step into a more stable and fun situation. This kid has been at LSU-Alabama, Oklahoma-FSU, Alabama-Auburn, how are those experiences going to stack up to Miami-BC? The kid is not coming here.

If we were 10-2, 11-1, going to the ACC Championship team as a team on the comeup...I mean, sure, I can see us going out and landing a kid like Diggs...but when you are 6-6, some sort of sanctions looming, you just won't land those players...

Same thing with the best DT prospect in the country...just won't win those battles.

Hopefully this time next year our recruiting outlook is a little more positive, and as much ****ing and moaning as I like to do, you have to give AG credit for cobbling together a pretty strong class despite all the problems.

Advertisement
I think when you are a 6-6 team, with sanctions looming, recruiting, for those of that follow, might be a little more fun, in that...you should see stones being turned over everywhere with lots of new prospects coming up, more to talk about, players to discuss.

I mean, Golden's put together a good class, IMO. It still has some room for growth with the final X-number of spots, particularly in need areas, but for a 6-6 team that is coming off a 7-5 season, a decade since our last national title, and potential sanctions looming, I think Golden's got the right outlook for the types of kids to go get. He's reaching for the stars on a few, but our class is comprised of a lot of in-state kids with a certain makeup...but it doesn't come without some studs. Duke Johnson, ALJ, Raphy Kirby, Jelani Hamilton, AJ Leggett...those guys are legit studs that we'd take at any point...success or failure within the program (I think some people overlook this when discussing our class being full of "three stars" that there are legitimate studs committed as well). Couple those with a lot of in-state kids and a lot of kids we've had a chance to see a lot up close and in person via camps...we've got a lot of SoFla athletes (Lewis, Herb Waters, Danny Dillard, David Thompson, Josh Witt, James Burgess, Vernon Davis)...those guys I listed are legitimate SoFla athletes. And then you have a lot of guys they offered early as evaluations...D'Mauri Jones, Jontavious Carter, Ereck Flowers, that have looked like good foresight with strong senior seasons.

When you are aiming for a class of 35-ish, I think they have a nice mix of kids. Not every one is going to be some All-Area **** stud. You gotta really get down and dirty with evaluations and I think they've assembled a class where they've done that. Lots of kids with several layers of evaluations and a good mix of studs, under the radar kids, good early evaluations, and kids that came in and earned a scholarship at camps.

We're in the home stretch...and I think this class still has a few more pieces to make it complete...let's see how Golden does.

LA county might have something to say about this, Houston too for that matter.

I'd probably pick 30 cities before I'd sight DC. For it's size 7th biggest MSA in the country I don't think of it as a football hotbed.

We were never getting either of these kids

Objectively unless you grew up a Miami fan you arent going to pick us right now over other top schools

I think when you are a 6-6 team, with sanctions looming, recruiting, for those of that follow, might be a little more fun, in that...you should see stones being turned over everywhere with lots of new prospects coming up, more to talk about, players to discuss.

I mean, Golden's put together a good class, IMO. It still has some room for growth with the final X-number of spots, particularly in need areas, but for a 6-6 team that is coming off a 7-5 season, a decade since our last national title, and potential sanctions looming, I think Golden's got the right outlook for the types of kids to go get. He's reaching for the stars on a few, but our class is comprised of a lot of in-state kids with a certain makeup...but it doesn't come without some studs. Duke Johnson, ALJ, Raphy Kirby, Jelani Hamilton, AJ Leggett...those guys are legit studs that we'd take at any point...success or failure within the program (I think some people overlook this when discussing our class being full of "three stars" that there are legitimate studs committed as well). Couple those with a lot of in-state kids and a lot of kids we've had a chance to see a lot up close and in person via camps...we've got a lot of SoFla athletes (Lewis, Herb Waters, Danny Dillard, David Thompson, Josh Witt, James Burgess, Vernon Davis)...those guys I listed are legitimate SoFla athletes. And then you have a lot of guys they offered early as evaluations...D'Mauri Jones, Jontavious Carter, Ereck Flowers, that have looked like good foresight with strong senior seasons.

When you are aiming for a class of 35-ish, I think they have a nice mix of kids. Not every one is going to be some All-Area **** stud. You gotta really get down and dirty with evaluations and I think they've assembled a class where they've done that. Lots of kids with several layers of evaluations and a good mix of studs, under the radar kids, good early evaluations, and kids that came in and earned a scholarship at camps.

We're in the home stretch...and I think this class still has a few more pieces to make it complete...let's see how Golden does.

41.gif

Advertisement
We were never getting either of these kids

Objectively unless you grew up a Miami fan you arent going to pick us right now over other top schools

Pretty sure both of them did grow up Miami fans. I've gotten to the point I don't even want a kid being a "Miami fan growing up." That's pretty much the kiss of death other than the ones that are from down here and are die hard.

IDK I see other programs landing these types of kids after similar seasons.

Golden is believed to be a good recruiter. Go out there and earn your paycheck man. RECRUIT. Make the U so attractive that the kid can't say no. Playing time is a given. The beauty of the campus and the nightlife in S. Florida are a given. Warm weather, beautiful girls are also a given.

We can and will land some difference makers, I don't care if we went 2-10. Recruit your *** off and out work the next guy. We won't get them all but we will get our share if Golden and staff are worth their salt as recruiters/coaches.

Golden is believed to be a good recruiter. Go out there and earn your paycheck man. RECRUIT. Make the U so attractive that the kid can't say no. Playing time is a given. The beauty of the campus and the nightlife in S. Florida are a given. Warm weather, beautiful girls are also a given.

We can and will land some difference makers, I don't care if we went 2-10. Recruit your *** off and out work the next guy. We won't get them all but we will get our share if Golden and staff are worth their salt as recruiters/coaches.

Like who ?

Advertisement

What other programs have managed to land 5 star studs like Diggs and Goldman from across the country while facing unknown sanctions?

It's one thing to recruit after a bad year or two. It's another thing to recruit under the conditions Golden has had to deal with. Even Schnelly never had to recruit with NCAA looming. Butch succeeded because he identified a lot of UTR kids, not 5 star studsd, and it still took him 5 years to see bigtime results.

We are going to have to pray that Golden's eval skills rivals Butch.

Last edited:
I'll pass on Diggs.. Although he is very fast and talented, I don't see him being the type of hard worker and gym rat that this staff wants. Seems like a diva, too. We all saw how Latwan worked out.

Not interested in Diggs. Dude's a pri madonna, as someone on Scout used to say. Not the kind of kid AG's looking for right now, and seriously, do not want.

Goldman was never coming here.

Separately, Flowers got his 4th star on Rivals today, for the star whores. He's a legitimate top OL prospect. (Btw., nolady, who is rarely high on UM recruits, really likes Flowers.)

And Jenkins -- don't sleep on that kid -- IMO he's a terrific DB prospect.

Other guys I'm excited to see: Witt, Northrup, V. Davis (yes), M. Lewis, Waters and Hoilett.

IMO it's a solid class. Lacks some headliners, but true to his word, IMO Golden's found contributors.

Advertisement
Back