Ed Reed on workouts...

56AAA6DB-B417-4DF4-A53F-A9B1E9FB6994.jpeg

Advertisement
You telling me that even with the new trainer that some kids still don't get it? I want to know who and why hasn't anyone else seen these kids not working hard.

Yup.

New trainer. New offensive coordinator. New offensive line coach. New quarterback, kicker and recruiting class—even with all that, you can't fix stupid.

This is an entitled-as-****, me-first generation of diva who want everything handed to them and struggle in the face of adversity.

Why do you think so many flock to instant winning programs like Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, etc. where they get plugged in at a powerhouse that reloads—guaranteed to win double-digit games annually and to reach the Playoffs a few times during their playing careers?

Some of those same kids playing for the Tide, Tigers, Buckeyes or Bulldogs—they'd be the same butt-hurt divas in the midst of a three-game losing streak to end the season, throwing in the towel, leaving early for the NFL, etc.

Miami needs to find a way to start building a winning culture with new kids and transfers, while weeding out the dead weight and making sure newcomers hit the ground running.

This program is now 13-16 since the Pittsburgh loss in late 2017—meaning all those 2018 signees are not a whopping 13-13 in their Miami careers; two years in a loser culture with two different head coaches, while anyone playing offense in 2020 will now have their third different offensive coordinator in as many seasons.

Shouldn't be too confusing as to why some guys are checked-the-f**k-out. Gonna take more than a new S&C program to motivate some of the softies.

The concepts of making workouts fun with gimmicks is also probably foreign concept to him. He is from a different era. A time when you knew workouts were not fun but necessary. Think the biggest plus he will bring is recognizing the "dogs" and sifting out the pretenders. We have 2 classes full of clout chasers and not enough players coming to ball out not for shine but to improve their lives and their families lives. Bandy didn't have all the measureables but he had the right mentality pair that with elite talent and we cooking with gas again.

Do players actually lift during the season? Back in the late '80's I was walking with a friend out back of the Hecht Center and a door swung open. I could see somebody benching a big set of weights right near the door. I think this was late Thursday afternoon before our season opener the following Saturday.

I was wondering if these were guys who were going to play in two days or maybe redshirts and others not slated to play. I was under the impression that guys who would dress out and play would still do some lifting during the season.

I don't know what the custom is. I find it hard to believe that any kid who wants to survive and succeed in a top program would not be dedicated to S&C.

I was concerned that last year Feely said something to the effect that N'kosi worked hard in the weight room...when he was there. Suggesting that N'kosi didn't come by all that much.

Frequency of in-season lifting varies from team to team. I've seen 2 and 3 days a week. Redshirting players are typically lifting 4x a week. Don't know of any teams who lift the day before games. Obviously you don't want to be sore from lifting once it's gameday. Also, many fail to realize you can get stronger from lifting submaximal weights which is at a lower cost to the body.

Dedication to S&C is tricky. The players most adept to succeeding in any sport require the least amount of training outside of sport practice. However, in college you have more variability in this regard than say the NFL. So you may have freaks who will dominate regardless of how dedicated they are to S&C but on the other hand a player of lesser natural gifts has a greater opportunity to improve their sport performance results through work outside of sport.

Attitude is a big factor. Some guys want to do everything they can to maximize their ability and chance to be a great player, taking S&C seriously is one, while others don't seem to really care. A good example is Aaron Lynch, DE for the 49ers and now Bears. Got kicked out of ND. Ended up at USF. USF S&C coach had to resign after making a comment about Lynch's terrible attitude after the 49ers drafted him. Turns out he was gifted enough to have an NFL career regardless.

Who told you that? There is nothing a bear enjoys more than defecating in a deciduous forest.
Not what I heard..word is they like flat areas to do their biz..mostly in a open area..and, apparently they like ****ting from a top of trees..guessing they like the views from the top

Advertisement
Most of you still don't seem to get this is about culture and weeding out players who aren't all-in. It will be a battle of attrition over time, as we can't just kick half the players off the team.

Yup.

New trainer. New offensive coordinator. New offensive line coach. New quarterback, kicker and recruiting class—even with all that, you can't fix stupid.

This is an entitled-as-****, me-first generation of diva who want everything handed to them and struggle in the face of adversity.

Why do you think so many flock to instant winning programs like Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, etc. where they get plugged in at a powerhouse that reloads—guaranteed to win double-digit games annually and to reach the Playoffs a few times during their playing careers?

Some of those same kids playing for the Tide, Tigers, Buckeyes or Bulldogs—they'd be the same butt-hurt divas in the midst of a three-game losing streak to end the season, throwing in the towel, leaving early for the NFL, etc.

Miami needs to find a way to start building a winning culture with new kids and transfers, while weeding out the dead weight and making sure newcomers hit the ground running.

This program is now 13-16 since the Pittsburgh loss in late 2017—meaning all those 2018 signees are not a whopping 13-13 in their Miami careers; two years in a loser culture with two different head coaches, while anyone playing offense in 2020 will now have their third different offensive coordinator in as many seasons.

Shouldn't be too confusing as to why some guys are checked-the-f**k-out. Gonna take more than a new S&C program to motivate some of the softies.

New trainer? Did I miss the memo on a new trainer added to the staff?

Advertisement
Back