Ed Reed on workouts...

KOOLAID4L

Freshman
He mentioned that if you don't want to come to Miami and work hard go hard and be about the Team don't come here.
One thing I'm curious about is when he mentioned workouts and he said "I know what I saw yesterday [at workouts].” What the **** does that mean?
You telling me that even with the new trainer that some kids still don't get it? I want to know who and why hasn't anyone else seen these kids not working hard.

Advertisement
Can't force someone to train hard, as a trainer you can only go so far. Provide a proper program, nutrition, and guidelines...at the end of the day its ultimately up to the Athlete.

People don't realize that S&C Coaches have the guys for maybe a collective time of 16 weeks each year of an actual weightlifting program. You have Spring which can be maybe 4-6 weeks TOTAL because you have to also practice on a football field. The offseason may only be 12 weeks collectively, now imagine the type of training program that has to be implemented. You have technique if olympic lifts are incorporated and even deload weeks incorporated.

The specific Athletes motivation to continue the process on their off time is solely up to them. I genuinely think people don't realize the little amount the S&C coaches actually have with the team in terms of a strength training protocol. 4 months a year dedicated to getting stronger and building muscle is nothing, the rest of the year is up to them individually and then of course you have the variables in how much they actually care in the given time with the coaches.

That's why Ed in all of his interviews emphasizes the important of "Culture", when he was a player here they were self motivated and that has been lacking in the program for a very long time. I also think the "Culture" can shift with results on the field. Losing teams have poor motivation because they have been losing for so long and we have been losing for a very long time. That's what Manny is trying to change, it all starts with winning in the actual games and then it translates. Anyone who has played sports knows that the nucleus of a program/team is the players themselves and when you see results on the field translating to wins, that translates to "Culture".

TLDR .. Players need to actually give a f***

Last edited:
Reed detects the left over go through the motion activity , you can sense it see it the enabled have it in there blood and need to be cleansed like an exorcism to rid this team of it , there hoping to go to a cry room instead of working.

Even with Reed here the infection is still here to be purged , could take some time to recover from Reed knows it maybe a year or so.

1) Is the Pope Catholic?
2) Does a bear **** in the woods?
3) Is Ed Reed in shape?

Advertisement
He mentioned that if you don't want to come to Miami and work hard go hard and be about the Team don't come here.
One thing I'm curious about is when he mentioned workouts and he said "I know what I saw yesterday [at workouts].” What the **** does that mean?
You telling me that even with the new trainer that some kids still don't get it? I want to know who and why hasn't anyone else seen these kids not working hard.
Where did those comments come from?

Can't force someone to train hard, as a trainer you can only go so far. Provide a proper program, nutrition, and guidelines...at the end of the day its ultimately up to the Athlete.

People don't realize that S&C Coaches have the guys for maybe a collective time of 16 weeks each year of an actual weightlifting program. You have Spring which can be maybe 4-6 weeks TOTAL because you have to also practice on a football field. The offseason may only be 12 weeks collectively, now imagine the type of training program that has to be implemented. You have technique if olympic lifts are incorporated and even deload weeks incorporated.

The specific Athletes motivation to continue the process on their off time is solely up to them. I genuinely think people don't realize the little amount the S&C coaches actually have with the team in terms of a strength training protocol. 4 months a year dedicated to getting stronger and building muscle is nothing, the rest of the year is up to them individually and then of course you have the variables in how much they actually care in the given time with the coaches.

That's why Ed in all of his interviews emphasizes the important of "Culture", when he was a player here they were self motivated and that has been lacking in the program for a very long time. I also think the "Culture" can shift with results on the field. Losing teams have poor motivation because they have been losing for so long and we have been losing for a very long time. That's what Manny is trying to change, it all starts with winning in the actual games and then it translates. Anyone who has played sports knows that the nucleus of a program/team is the players themselves and when you see results on the field translating to wins, that translates to "Culture".

Kids need to whip other kids as ses that loaf and bs.

Do players actually lift during the season? Back in the late '80's I was walking with a friend out back of the Hecht Center and a door swung open. I could see somebody benching a big set of weights right near the door. I think this was late Thursday afternoon before our season opener the following Saturday.

I was wondering if these were guys who were going to play in two days or maybe redshirts and others not slated to play. I was under the impression that guys who would dress out and play would still do some lifting during the season.

I don't know what the custom is. I find it hard to believe that any kid who wants to survive and succeed in a top program would not be dedicated to S&C.

I was concerned that last year Feely said something to the effect that N'kosi worked hard in the weight room...when he was there. Suggesting that N'kosi didn't come by all that much.

Advertisement
Do players actually lift during the season? Back in the late '80's I was walking with a friend out back of the Hecht Center and a door swung open. I could see somebody benching a big set of weights right near the door. I think this was late Thursday afternoon before our season opener the following Saturday.

I was wondering if these were guys who were going to play in two days or maybe redshirts and others not slated to play. I was under the impression that guys who would dress out and play would still do some lifting during the season.

I don't know what the custom is. I find it hard to believe that any kid who wants to survive and succeed in a top program would not be dedicated to S&C.

I was concerned that last year Feely said something to the effect that N'kosi worked hard in the weight room...when he was there. Suggesting that N'kosi didn't come by all that much.

Can't beat the kids up in the weight room during the season, because they are football players and the most important part is that they are good football players not weightlifters. Can't program specific things in fear of injury or just fatigue. Anything that taxes the CNS in a way that might hinder their performance on the actual field is a no go, so really these S&C coaches have their hands tied behind their back when training. If a player gets hurt in the weight room the trainer has failed.

I am not saying that the weight room isn't important but if you take a look at the big picture the sport of football matters more than weight numbers. If an athlete is in the program for 4 years he may have had a total of a year and some change in the weight room under an "offseason" weight program. In reality one total year in the gym doesn't equate to much.

Last edited:
It's not only about the workouts AT UM...but what the off campus workouts were like from 95-2001....Unsupervised....

Reed keeps saying the players need to be more accountable but fans still expect coaches to hold the player’s hands at all times. Ed Reed isn’t just making this **** up.
Hello no, I don't want the coaches holding their hands. It's their **** job to motivate the **** out of them. Leadership comes from the top.

Advertisement
Can't beat the kids up in the weight room during the season, because they are football players and the most important part is that they are good football players not weightlifters. Can't program specific things in fear of injury or just fatigue. Anything that taxes the CNS in a way that might hinder their performance on the actual field is a no go, so really these S&C coaches have their hands tied behind their back when training. If a player gets hurt in the weight room the trainer has failed.

I am not saying that the weight room isn't important but if you take a look at the big picture the sport of football matters more than weight numbers. If an athlete is in the program for 4 years he may have had a total of a year and some change in the weight room under an "offseason" weight program. In reality one total year in the gym doesn't equate to much.
No one is saying guys should be chasing maxes but poor effort in the weight room ensures poor results in the sport of football.

Inseason weight training is super important to prevent injuries and keep performance up. Dozens of books written on it. I find dropping volume and keeping intensity higher is better.

Advertisement
I think what he is saying ( read the whole interview) was pertaining to work ethic and accountability for players. He’s saying it’s not all on coaching, he said he sees the work the coaches are putting in but questions are the players putting the same effort. His answer is no. As far as the workout he’s probably talking the organization of it and the efforts in which the coaches pushed the player’s..his overall message is before you sign understand what’s expected. Your expected to be accountable, compete and take coaching..if your not about that then don’t come. He said in 1997 he saw bad apples being weeded out when everything wasn’t peachy..you know the Lingard, nephews and jarrens of the world..if you not about working hard then don’t sign uere

When he made that comment, he was actually praising the team, saying that the team was working hard during the workouts. That's when he made the statement, "I know what I saw yesterday."

His comments were more clear than the silicone in a Kardashians ***'s.
That’s the way I took it as well. ...team “was” working hard...

Advertisement
Back