Ed Reed on workouts...

Advertisement
Can't force someone to train hard, as a trainer you can only go so far. Provide a proper program, nutrition, and guidelines...at the end of the day its ultimately up to the Athlete.

People don't realize that S&C Coaches have the guys for maybe a collective time of 16 weeks each year of an actual weightlifting program. You have Spring which can be maybe 4-6 weeks TOTAL because you have to also practice on a football field. The offseason may only be 12 weeks collectively, now imagine the type of training program that has to be implemented. You have technique if olympic lifts are incorporated and even deload weeks incorporated.

The specific Athletes motivation to continue the process on their off time is solely up to them. I genuinely think people don't realize the little amount the S&C coaches actually have with the team in terms of a strength training protocol. 4 months a year dedicated to getting stronger and building muscle is nothing, the rest of the year is up to them individually and then of course you have the variables in how much they actually care in the given time with the coaches.

That's why Ed in all of his interviews emphasizes the important of "Culture", when he was a player here they were self motivated and that has been lacking in the program for a very long time. I also think the "Culture" can shift with results on the field. Losing teams have poor motivation because they have been losing for so long and we have been losing for a very long time. That's what Manny is trying to change, it all starts with winning in the actual games and then it translates. Anyone who has played sports knows that the nucleus of a program/team is the players themselves and when you see results on the field translating to wins, that translates to "Culture".
I disagree. You don't win unless you have a strong culture not the other way around. That's like saying, "I'll work harder once I see we're winning. Lapsing should motivate you to work harder, but I do agree that continuously losing hampers the motivation.

The lack of work ethic shows a cultural and leadership problem. The team leaders should be policing the team. We need leaders to take ownership of the team. Players have to be accountable to each other.

However, the coaches can't let things go without taking disciplinary action. Missing curfew should result in no or limited playing time. When the players see guys getting away with these type of things, you're allowing a culture of bad behavior that should be unacceptable. It's hard to put the genie back in the bottle or the horse back in the barn once you let him run wild.

TLDR .. Players need to actually give a f***

Another deep thread based on nothing. Might be time for some of you to quit torturing yourselves by attempting to think.
I hear ya, but it's the off-season, we are going to see 500 more threads like this before game 1. This off-season may eclipse last season for worst in recent memory.

Advertisement
Do players actually lift during the season? Back in the late '80's I was walking with a friend out back of the Hecht Center and a door swung open. I could see somebody benching a big set of weights right near the door. I think this was late Thursday afternoon before our season opener the following Saturday.

I was wondering if these were guys who were going to play in two days or maybe redshirts and others not slated to play. I was under the impression that guys who would dress out and play would still do some lifting during the season.

I don't know what the custom is. I find it hard to believe that any kid who wants to survive and succeed in a top program would not be dedicated to S&C.

I was concerned that last year Feely said something to the effect that N'kosi worked hard in the weight room...when he was there. Suggesting that N'kosi didn't come by all that much.

Yes, players lift year round, but as mentioned earlier, it's nowhere near as intense as the off-season. Everything in modern football, including on field practices during the season, is geared toward recovery.

Advertisement
Advertisement
If San Francisco smells like @ss it's because of the excessive butt plugging going on. Not because of DBC attacker shattinh in the parking lot or homeless folks bathing in puddles
But fr fr..has nobody caught that **** bear yet?

That looks more like a defense mechanism..plus..if your ****ting from the top of a tree, is it really the woods?

Surprised you didn't notice what ALL the rest of us did.... that tree is in the woods...but whatever makes you feel better

Regardless, bears will continue ****ting in the woods no matter what you choose to believe

Last edited:
Advertisement
Surprised you didn't notice what ALL the rest of us did.... that tree is in the woods...but whatever makes you feel better

Regardless, bears will continue ****ting in the woods
Yeaaa but it’s kind of high up..is that still the woods??..when u think about it not really..and it looked to be more defensive..

Can't force someone to train hard, as a trainer you can only go so far. Provide a proper program, nutrition, and guidelines...at the end of the day its ultimately up to the Athlete.

People don't realize that S&C Coaches have the guys for maybe a collective time of 16 weeks each year of an actual weightlifting program. You have Spring which can be maybe 4-6 weeks TOTAL because you have to also practice on a football field. The offseason may only be 12 weeks collectively, now imagine the type of training program that has to be implemented. You have technique if olympic lifts are incorporated and even deload weeks incorporated.

The specific Athletes motivation to continue the process on their off time is solely up to them. I genuinely think people don't realize the little amount the S&C coaches actually have with the team in terms of a strength training protocol. 4 months a year dedicated to getting stronger and building muscle is nothing, the rest of the year is up to them individually and then of course you have the variables in how much they actually care in the given time with the coaches.

That's why Ed in all of his interviews emphasizes the important of "Culture", when he was a player here they were self motivated and that has been lacking in the program for a very long time. I also think the "Culture" can shift with results on the field. Losing teams have poor motivation because they have been losing for so long and we have been losing for a very long time. That's what Manny is trying to change, it all starts with winning in the actual games and then it translates. Anyone who has played sports knows that the nucleus of a program/team is the players themselves and when you see results on the field translating to wins, that translates to "Culture".

TLDR .. Players need to actually give a f***
It is either put the time, effort, and work in if you want it.................buy don't complain if your team sucks and you are not pulling your weight.
Ed is the total opposite...... work your *** off, and praise your team with bonding and effort for the tough times, and they will come.

Advertisement
Back