$EC vs B1G

• $EC

Votes: 72 44.7%
  • B1G

Votes: 89 55.3%

• Total voters
So we should stay in the ACC?

Good Mythical Morning No GIF by Rhett and Link
As long as we have access to a playoff berth, does it matter?
I would like the SEC, but what are we bringing to the table?
Our 15 year resume is Abysmal..

Advertisement
As long as we have access to a playoff berth, does it matter?
I would like the SEC, but what are we bringing to the table?
Our 15 year resume is Abysmal..

The last four additions to the current SEC lineup were Arkansas + South Carolina in 1991 (when both the Holes and us declined) and Mizzou + A2M in 2012.

Our last 15 years — as bad as it's been compared to our heyday — is certainly comparable with at least half (if not more) of those four programs when they accepted the invite.

Last edited:
The last four additions to the current SEC lineup were Arkansas + South Carolina in 1991 (when both the Holes us declined) and Mizzou + A2M in 2012.

Our last 15 years — as bad as it's been compared to our heyday — is certainly comparable with at least half (if not more) of those four programs when they accepted the invite.
Fair enough, my opinion is we're not going to be invited. Word would have leaked by now.
Also, FSU & Clemson would be ahead of us in line..

Advertisement
Fair enough, my opinion is we're not going to be invited. Word would have leaked by now.
Also, FSU & Clemson would be ahead of us in line..

Don't know about leaks and what-not.

Oklahoma-Texas to the SEC last year and UCLA-USC this year were essentially kept under wraps until the ink was dry on their moves.

Why would it be any different this time?

Agree with you that the Semenholes and Clempson are no-doubters; both obviously fit the SEC like a glove.

IMO, two things to keep an eye on: whether Notre Dame decides to stay put with its current part-time ACC agreement; and whether any or all among Miami, FSU and Clemson decide to make a break for the exit and move to one of the two so-called Super Conferences.

Just don't believe the B1G and SEC are done eating by any means —or that we'll have to wait until the GoR expires in 2036 for the Canes or any other ACC school to make a move.

There is an argument for B1G so calling us idiots is uncalled for. My main argument for B1G is we’ll be one of the featured marquee programs immediately.

In the $EC we’d be just one of the 80% of teams that believe we should be competing for championships.

There may be more pros than cons for the $EC but don’t make it seem like there are no benefits to the B1G where you can’t even have a discussion.

I hope the admin does not have such narrow thinking as you and they really look at both and make the best long term decision for UM.

When one of you B1G fans present a coherent argument for that conference over the SEC you’ll leave the low intelligence category.

So you think we’ll be what they (B1G members) consider a feature (marquee) program immediately because there’s less of those in the B1G. I’m sorry, but that’s a loser mentality. Let’s go here because we’ll be a bigger fish with less competition. You’re forgetting Ohio St, Michigan, Penn St, USC, ND (most likely) are looked with more prestige than us.

I guess you just glazed over the tangible concrete facts I laid out regarding travel nightmares along with playing mediocre teams in the f@cking snow. You guys are killing me with these cold lame takes.

Recruiting is different from the time we were in the Big East. In addition, SEC wasn’t the conference they’ve turned into. Ohio St gets a few kids sure, but they’re team consist of players from predominantly up north. Families want to travel to games to see their sons and daughters play. You’re going further away from the base by joining the B1G. As I said thank goodness CIS isn’t making the decision. Hopefully our insiders are on the money and we’re SEC bound.
Honestly I don't care which conference we go to. I think they both have their positives. I just think some of the arguments against the Big Ten are a little bunk. Yes there are players from South Florida that would love to play in the SEC, there are also some that would love to stay in Florida and play against Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, USC... It would be a recruiting benefit to be the only Florida school in the B1G. Sure the pitch to kids to say they can play in the SEC is great, but UF and potentially FSU could make the same pitch.

When one of you B1G fans present a coherent argument for that conference over the SEC you’ll leave the low intelligence category.

So you think we’ll be what they (B1G members) consider a feature (marquee) program immediately because there’s less of those in the B1G. I’m sorry, but that’s a loser mentality. Let’s go here because we’ll be a bigger fish with less competition. You’re forgetting Ohio St, Michigan, Penn St, USC, ND (most likely) are looked with more prestige than us.

I guess you just glazed over the tangible concrete facts I laid out regarding travel nightmares along with playing mediocre teams in the f@cking snow. You guys are killing me with these cold lame takes.
I never said I was some B1G fan but I’m not going to completely disregard that one benefit of being one of the marquee teams there. I’m not going to dismiss that benefit AND then call those people stupid.

No one is disputing the benefits of the $EC.

You have no grace attacking fellow fans just because they have a different viewpoint. You follow up your initial disrespectful post and respond to mine with more insults.

Don’t bother responding. I’m grateful I won’t have to see your posts anymore.

Advertisement
Interesting the (early) vote is about 55% to 45% in favor of the B1G.

A similar poll this summer was about 44% SEC, 40% B1G and (Lord help us) 14% who wanted to stay in the ACC 🤦‍♂️

Wonder how much where people were raised or where they reside now impacts their choices?

I've lived in North Florida pretty much my whole life. My first choice would always be to play FSU and UF in all sports on an annual or at least frequent basis. Regular games against the regional teams like Bama, Auburn, UGA and LSU would be next in line for desirable options

The B1G would be a great fallback choice for sure, but the SEC would be my No. 1 pick.

Last edited:
I never said I was some B1G fan but I’m not going to completely disregard that one benefit of being one of the marquee teams there. I’m not going to dismiss that benefit AND then call those people stupid.

No one is disputing the benefits of the $EC.

You have no grace attacking fellow fans just because they have a different viewpoint. You follow up your initial disrespectful post and respond to mine with more insults.

Don’t bother responding. I’m grateful I won’t have to see your posts anymore.

I’m dismissing your benefit because it’s wrong and inaccurate. We would not be anymore or less marquee in the B1G. It’s nothing wrong pointing out that false statement and calling it idiotic.

You’re right. I’ve got no grace for the same dumb takes that we’re presented last time this poll was done about a month ago.

B10 can be national in scope by expanding further. They’re in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, MidWest, and soon to be the West Coast. Add Miami plus UNC, and you have the makings of a conference with coast to coast TV markets. That should be even more attractive to CBS, FOX, and NBC.

Meanwhile, SEC is the South and Texas basically. The geography delivers little interest to other parts of the country in my opinion. Plus, being locked in with one network could ultimately back fire.
**** cbs, fox and nbc. It’s about the players and the best ones down south want to play in the SEC, unfortunately. It’s gonna be much too cold in November up north for our boys also.

Advertisement
Academic wise, & old rivalry wise (PSU, Nebraska, potentially ND), the B1G would make sense

Geographically & Regionally wise, The SEC makes sense.

Football culturally, imo, we fit more w/ the SEC b/c so many So FL kids flock to Bama, LSU, UGA & UF . I think going to the SEC helps w/ recruiting, as well. How many times have we heard kids choose a school & say “it’s The SEC, why not?”

All in all, it’s a great position to be in.

Just got to close the deal

Advertisement
Dumb. Not only is Miami in the Southeast, it would be the MOST southern and MOST southeast of any team in the SEC.

Miami isn’t close to being north. It’s the southern tip of Florida. It has a tropical climate.

Honestly, just put Miami in google maps.
C'mon! Miami is totally like Portsmouth, NH!

C'mon! Miami is totally like Portsmouth, NH!
He is talking culture and academics not pure geography. Come on. Miami is not a "southern" town at all. "Southern" towns have most restaurants serving Ice Tea (sweet or un sweetened?), collard greens and grits with every meal.

The bigger issue is not where UM / fans FEEL that we fit and what WE LIKE. The big issue is MEDIA $$$ AND CONTROL. Right now the one WITH UM under contract is ESPN and it might be in their interest to move UM from the ACC to their other network ... the SECN ... in the media battle with the Big 10. No way ESPN lets UM / Clemson / FSU bail for the BIG.

First, we’re joining a football league, not a social club. From a pure football perspective and from a welfare of the student athletes perspective, the SEC makes way more sense - lower travel times/costs, maintain rivalry with the Gators and Noles, etc.

Academic and cultural fit is irrelevant. We’re playing football against these schools, not inviting them home to meet grandma.

Second, the Big 10 is NOT a “northeastern” conference. It’s not national. It’s midwestern, with a couple California schools, rutgers, and maryland sprinkled in. We are NOT a better cultural fit with Iowa than we are with South Carolina. Even if that somehow mattered, which it does not.

The ONLY reason to consider the Big 10 is if they offer us a lot more money than the SEC. And I don’t think they will, because I don’t think their market value is higher than the SEC’s, as the SEC has more big brands than the BIG under its umbrella

Advertisement
Back